turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Kansas Rio hunting

Started by bchilde, January 30, 2018, 10:16:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bchilde

Anyone have any recommendations for hunting the rio turkeys in Kansas? I'd like to save money and hunt a wma but iv seen some outfitter prices that wouldn't be much more than doing it myself.

ddturkeyhunter

Just go for it and do it your self, so much better feeling when you done it by your self.

Gooserbat

Kansas does a good job of providing maps.  Just pick one up when you buy your license and make it a road trip.  I've done it more than once.  Killed birds every time.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

backforty

Pick up one of the walk in hunting area maps when you buy your permits and spend some time checking diff ones.  I went for the first time last year blind. we would hunt areas in the morning then pull out the map and go check so new areas midday. worked great, we both got our birds.  Just a heads up if you are hunting off one of the side roads that are all dirt and it starts raining pack up and run to your truck. it takes about 10 minutes for them to turn into a muddy mess that is slicker than ice.
Print by Madison, on Flickr

wdog

For you guys who hunt Kansas what's your preferred time to hunt?  What's the line for rios?

stinkpickle

Quote from: backforty on January 30, 2018, 11:06:10 PM
...Just a heads up if you are hunting off one of the side roads that are all dirt and it starts raining pack up and run to your truck. it takes about 10 minutes for them to turn into a muddy mess that is slicker than ice.

THIS ^^^   The mud out there is no joke.

stinkpickle

Quote from: bchilde on January 30, 2018, 10:16:10 AM
Anyone have any recommendations for hunting the rio turkeys in Kansas? I'd like to save money and hunt a wma but iv seen some outfitter prices that wouldn't be much more than doing it myself.

Kansas would definitely be the place to use an outfitter for a Rio, if you're going to use one.  Most of the prices with food and lodging aren't too bad.

mtns2hunt

I used Prairie Thunder for a Rio hunt in Kansas last year. He is mainly an outfitter for waterfowl so there is some Drama on the internet. But as far as Turkey hunting Zack is very good. Killed two birds with him: one was on private land but Zack knew the owner so we pulled into the ranch and got permission to hunt. Beautiful bird. Second was a boss, and took three hunts to close the deal. Finished up on the last hour of Easter morning. Zack went from field to church and I from field to airport LOL. Plenty of land and plenty of birds. But that last boss turkey was one of the best hunts ever. I have a post on this forum with more detail. I think its filed under Prairie Thunder. This hunt was 1k and sometimes gets advertised for less. Check out his website.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

stinkpickle

Quote from: wdog on February 01, 2018, 09:13:02 AM
For you guys who hunt Kansas what's your preferred time to hunt?  What's the line for rios?

It's different from year to year.  I used to hunt late season (mid to late May), and it was hit or miss.  I now prefer early season.  The weather is sometimes off, but at least a lot more property is available because the wheat hasn't gotten too tall yet.

CAPTJJ

I've only hunted KS during the early archery season, never had a problem filling tags on KS public land with a compound or recurve. Save your money for an Osceola.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: CAPTJJ on February 05, 2018, 08:51:22 AM
I've only hunted KS during the early archery season, never had a problem filling tags on KS public land with a compound or recurve. Save your money for an Osceola.

Agreed the Osceola is way too expensive. Will be biting the bullet this March afterwards it will only be fishing in Florida.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.