OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Do you have calls that you absolutely will not take to the woods?

Started by Grey Owl, January 28, 2018, 06:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Owl

I was just curious how many of you have the mindset that every call you buy is for hunting vs how many if you also buy some calls solely for collecting.

What calls do you own that you absolutely will never take to the woods?

3bailey3

I have quite a few that I will not take to the woods because they sound terrible, I don't own any that can hunt that doesn't go to the woods.

Grey Owl

Quote from: 3bailey3 on January 28, 2018, 06:23:56 PM
I have quite a few that I will not take to the woods because they sound terrible, I don't own any that can hunt that doesn't go to the woods.

Haha. That's funny. I didn't think about those that sound too awful to take.

paboxcall

I have a scratcher made by Bob Fulcher of Shadetree Turkey Calls that never goes outside. He made this little call from Dick Kirby's personal wood pile after Dick passed away a few years ago. So for sentimental reasons, no way will I risk falling and breaking this call.

It, like all Shadetree custom calls, sounds incredible. The first turkey sounds I ever heard as a young kid were being made by Mr. Kirby selling his calls at a show, and so Mr. Kirby lit a fire and my turkey obsession began many years ago. Mr. Fulcher graciously acknowledged Mr. Kirby's influence on me by surprising me one day with a package in the mailbox. I am forever grateful to Mr. Fulcher's and his kind gesture.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

gaswamp

a call is a tool if I can't hunt with it what purpose does it serve me.  might as well use and enjoy it while on this earth

Bowguy

You know I'm not that kinda guy. Everything has a use. I've got some decent calls that get used. One call though it may be one of my favorite.
It's aluminum yet seems to never need anything. It never slips and sounds maybe the most realistic of all the calls I own.
Might not even work though. It's a Dawkins Walnut Aluminum. Can't get another it seems and I'd just hate to not have it. Crazy for me? Absolutely but I'm afraid to lose it

Happy

Every call I own is with the intent to hunt it. That being said I have a few that will never see the woods just cause they don't cut it in my book.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Spitten and drummen

If I'm not gonna hunt it , then it don't stay here. I have way too many calls that many don't make it to the woods , however if you pick it up it has passed my guidelines and is definitely one to hunt with.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

BottomLand54

I got some that sound terrible

Wait a minute it might be me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dayna105

I have one box call that never leaves the shed....it sounds so bad. Now my Doug Camp box call stills goes to the woods as long as there's no chance of rain. Even than I carry a bread bag for it...just in case.

owlhoot

An old lohman box true tone 1980 or so . Shuts gobbling off.Quick!

Snoodsniper

The ones I can't play worth chit stay home..that reminds me... Anyone in the market for a nice trumpet?

Greg Massey

I have a few production calls that will never hunt again, back when i started you couldn't find may people building custom calls...   i have old homemade turtle shell slate call made from the man who got me started in turkey hunting and he pass away several years ago and 3 homemade snuff cans that i used 30 plus years ago and i have them hanging in the safe and they will never hunt again, JUST SPECIAL MEANING..   I have several box call i have collected over the years that have special meaning one was given to my by Terry Hall for Friendship Tennessee and signed , thru the years i got my hands on 2 more of his signed box calls.. i don't look at things like a lot of you do, if i got it, it has to HUNT or i'm NOT keeping it...CALL ARE MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS , and i enjoy collecting. I have a box call that Jim Shelley built from wormy Chestnut for a barn dating back to the 1800. I will play it from time to time but it will never hunt but REGARDLESS if you collect or not, it doesn't mean you still can't play them.. I'm not that kind of guy just because i have it's hunt's or it's not staying here... I have several calls in my collection and i don't get hung up on just one call maker ...

Greg Massey

You know sometimes it funny how people joke and make fun on the forum, but putting all joking aside, and i have been guilty of it myself.. Some of us have a real PASSION for collect calls and hunting wild turkeys. I'm not saying some of you don't enjoy hunting these birds, i'm saying it's more of a passion to a lot of us for just getting the change to hunt these birds, because years ago in a lot of states we couldn't hunt turkey's , so lets not forget it's not whether i get to kill him , it more about the passion of hunting these great birds.. just opinion ...  SO i will still collect call's until the Good Lord takes me away to better place...turkey heaven ...

Chris O

Quote from: Snoodsniper on January 28, 2018, 08:14:48 PM
The ones I can't play worth chit stay home..that reminds me... Anyone in the market for a nice trumpet?
What is it?