OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Do you have calls that you absolutely will not take to the woods?

Started by Grey Owl, January 28, 2018, 06:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Threetoes

I have some and gave away some. Most were packaged and I couldn't play them before they were bought, some I can't master no matter how much I practice , like those tube calls.

quavers59

I have retired plenty of collectable boxes and signed pots. I have given some caller away as well.    I am a giver for sure- part of my personality. I just mailed to Jim Casada a signed Kenny Morgan--K.M.- Frictionwood . I got that in 2000. Probably could have sold that- but some things are best given away rather then sold and he had a really nice Chapter on Kenny Morgan in his book- Remembering The Greats.

TheBigSnood

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on January 28, 2018, 07:43:30 PM
If I'm not gonna hunt it , then it don't stay here. I have way too many calls that many don't make it to the woods , however if you pick it up it has passed my guidelines and is definitely one to hunt with.

X2
Are you willing to step out of the boat as Peter did?  Think about it, he wouldn't have walked on water without stepping out of the boat!

idgobble

I have a few calls in my collection I don't hunt with because of their monetary or sentimental value but any other call I have either gets used or given away. And sometimes I've hunted with the monetary/sentimental calls but I'm real careful with them.

Yoder409

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 29, 2018, 01:14:19 AM
Collecting calls, guns and knives is nothing more than a passion and a hobby that a lot of hunters enjoy as a investment whether you hunt with them or not, what's wrong regardless, if you collect these item's if they ever hunt, shoot or cut the first piece of meat or skin. It's something a lot of people enjoy... I just have a passion for history.. with knife makers, old guns and turkey call makers...

Good post.

I consider my boxcall problem something that has been born from, but is separate of my turkey hunting addiction.  The two are different facets on the same stone, I'd say.

I know a carpenter who has quite the collection of old tools he will surely never use when building somebody a house.  Same sorta deal.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

WNCTracker

My great grandfathers wing bone set.

1.  Because I'd hate lose it
2.  Because i sound like anything but a turkey when using them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muzzy61

Just one. It's a pot call my daughter gave me as a birthday present. It has a picture of us with her first turkey under the glass.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

trkehunr93

I've got an old Lohman slate call, the one that has the open sound chamber.  Kinda looks like a slate call and scratch box had a baby and this is what came of it.  Late 70's I think, anyway I just can't seem to carry it in my vest.  Such a unique looking call I just get it out every spring and play it in the house some.  Don't wanna mess it up.

kdsberman

My Strut Buster made by Supreme Turkey Calls.  Beautiful call that sounds absolutely unbelievable.  Took it to the woods once, realized I don't want this thing ruined, now it's back in the safe - probably for good.

BottomLand54

Quote from: Yoder409 on January 28, 2018, 10:41:44 PM
I have GOBS of them that I'll never hunt.   Most of them because they don't sound better than the few that I do let out...........some of them because they are irreplaceable.  But they ALL get played.   I'm in my calls a couple or three times a week just pulling a couple out and running them.
I got some calls I'd be afraid to hunt with.... and man do they sound all turkey, they are pretty. This is my thing a turkey call is a musical instrument. If a man likes guitars and he is going to play in a music group outside on a rainy day and he has a Maestro guitar or a Gretsch guitar. He is going to take his maestro if it still sounds good.

I have more box calls and pot calls then I could ever desire to carry into the woods. One day I may take these 2 the next these 2 or who knows may hunt with same ones all year. But I like why Yoder said I like to
Pick em up and play em.

TheBigSnood

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 28, 2018, 08:38:13 PM
You know sometimes it funny how people joke and make fun on the forum, but putting all joking aside, and i have been guilty of it myself.. Some of us have a real PASSION for collect calls and hunting wild turkeys. I'm not saying some of you don't enjoy hunting these birds, i'm saying it's more of a passion to a lot of us for just getting the change to hunt these birds, because years ago in a lot of states we couldn't hunt turkey's , so lets not forget it's not whether i get to kill him , it more about the passion of hunting these great birds.. just opinion ...  SO i will still collect call's until the Good Lord takes me away to better place...turkey heaven ...

amen
Are you willing to step out of the boat as Peter did?  Think about it, he wouldn't have walked on water without stepping out of the boat!