OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

NWTF...whats your thoughts?

Started by tiggere, April 16, 2011, 02:52:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiggere

I have been doing some reading on the NWTF in NC and would like to get some opinions from the folks here...most of the stuff I have read is bad and they are bashing the NWTF hard...this has been coming from my state only so not sure how it is in other states but would love to hear some more about them prior to joining...the charter is not even in my county but then again my county doesn't have anywhere to hunt...I have a call in to the NC President and the rep for my area so maybe I will hear back from them in the next few days too...whats the general consensus about the NWTF?

Edited to add...Mods if this gets out of hand please delete this thread...I in no way want to start a feud on the site...just looking for opinions as everyone is entitled to one...

guesswho

I'm going to do my best to stay out of this one. :angel9:
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

fallhnt

I am a member becouse I call in contests,I get a mag.,and turkeys are my passion spring and fall.They do good things for  hunting.That said it was a real test when I found out what we paided Rob Keck !!!ARE YOU KIDDING!!!I would have stepped down to.With that kind of money you wouldn't have to work again anyway.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

barry

You might just wanna do a search and see what's been posted on this topic before.
This is one topic that can, and often does, get out of hand.
Just my 2 cents

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

tiggere

I tried to do a search but didn't come up with much thats why I asked...the reason for the question to be honest is one of our game lands here is "endorsed", "sponsored", I don't know what they do but they got their name on the sign...but...it has to be the shittiest habit I have ever seen for a turkey...its almost 30,000 acres and is scrub swamp for 95% of it...tallest tree is about 30' maybe 40' with a handful of them being larger than 12" in diameter...I have walked for days on the property and have only seen one hen and a couple tracks where another one had walked down one of the roads (thats around 20+ miles of walking)...the game lands right next to this one are not "endorsed", "sponsored", whatever and are prime turkey habitat...so I'm not sure whats going on hence my question about them...just wondering what they are spending the money on and why their name is on the sign to begin with...cause they darn sure ain't doing anything to help the turkey population on this piece of property...

I can not jump to any conclusions on the subject because I have yet to hear it from the horses mouth...but I will...

Please keep your comments civil and a good discussion on the subject can't hurt anyone...if they won't help us lets take a look at what they are doing wrong and maybe do something for ourselves...thats what I would like to get out of this...how can we make it better

Ruger M77

I wanted to join the NWTF but i've been hearin some bad stuff about them. Mabe what I read is a bunch of crap i dont no. Is there any other organization that does anything for turkeys? If not i'll probably join.
I eat therefore I hunt

a-j calls

NO support for call makers on their web site, but always have their hand out for donations, yep I am bitter about them and their site and attitude toward call makers.

tiggere

Quote from: Ruger M77 on April 16, 2011, 04:08:12 PM
Is there any other organization that does anything for turkeys? If not i'll probably join.

Exactly...if the NWTF isn't doing what we want...who else is?...

SinGin

Quote from: guesswho on April 16, 2011, 03:25:20 PM
I'm going to do my best to stay out of this one. :angel9:
That's not a bad thing because the last time I asked this question, you made my thread go about 20 pages.

guesswho

Quote from: SinGin on April 16, 2011, 04:24:14 PM
That's not a bad thing because the last time I asked this question, you made my thread go about 20 pages.
It was an entertaining thread though.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

tiggere

is that from the old site?...I didn't find much on my search here...

rmbailey2010

IMO overall the NWTF is a good thing. Since 1972 the$ 331 million that has been raised has somehow helped turkeys continue to thrive. My main reason for supporting them is because if the day ever comes where our corrupt government tries to take away hunting rights, I would someone such as the NWTF would stand against this. Just my 2ยข   ;D

Timmer

I am a committee member for a chapter here in MN and have been for 2 years.  I have found everyone I have come in contact with to be a great group of guys that are extremely charitable and giving of their time.  We raise money for turkey projects and work hard to get kids involved in the sport and take time to get them out in the field and teach them how to hunt.  On top of that we raise a ton of money every year for the the foodshelves.  Admittedly I'm not that tied in or informed at a national level, but I would most definitely encourage people to get inovled at a local level.
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

mudhen

My take on the NWTF?

Without them, we would probably have around -90% fewer birds to hunt than we do now.

And if not -90%, I'm betting the NWTF does more for the wild turkey than all the Internet Wizards combined, no matter how cool their moms say they are...

A real non-issue for me...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka