OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New Federal TSS

Started by BottomLand54, January 26, 2018, 11:05:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

Quote from: owlhoot on February 16, 2018, 10:41:49 AM
Dang I guess the Federal load will pattern.
Now to open that up for loads?

Open the choke.  Personally in a 20 ga I like 575 or 585 better.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

owlhoot

Quote from: davisd9 on February 16, 2018, 12:56:07 PM

So for Federal ,Apex and handloads then davis?

davisd9

Quote from: owlhoot on February 16, 2018, 01:14:22 PM

Yes. There is not much difference in the 3. You are not trying to overcome a wad like the old FCW. The shot is heavy so it will pretty much hold together. The two chokes I would recommend to anyone shooting TSS in a 20 ga is a Carlson .575 or Trulock .585. If you are shooting a Remington then I would try the RSF.

In 12 ga I would go .670 or higher. A bunch of these companies are in partnership with a choke manufacturer and so they recommend their choke. Never understood why anyone tries to push a 2.25 oz load through a .650 or .660.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Sand Man

Quote from: g8rvet on February 16, 2018, 12:32:25 PM
How do these patterns look at 15 steps?  Just curious on the size of the pattern. I have been looking for some close shots with TSS and have not seen any.  Just curious. I am so well stocked now on ammo, barring a catastrophe to gun or shells, I have at least 15 years worth for me and daughter (unless I hit the lottery and start hunting a Grand Slam every year).

TIGHT!  I hunt a lot of wide open wheat fields and mesquite flats here in TX, OK, and KS.  I can see the birds coming from a long ways generally.  I just don't let them get close.  Plus by the time I've watched them come for so far I can hardly stand it any more any way.  This is not a set up I'd use in the creek/river bottoms chasing Easterns in MS or a combo I'd give a kid.  I'd start with a mod choke in those situations and adjust accordingly after I patterned the gun.

If I do let a bird get in close on me with my setup, I aim at the base of the neck.  It ain't pretty if he's 20 yards and in!

Quote from: davisd9 on February 16, 2018, 01:23:23 PM
Yes. There is not much difference in the 3. You are not trying to overcome a wad like the old FCW. The shot is heavy so it will pretty much hold together. The two chokes I would recommend to anyone shooting TSS in a 20 ga is a Carlson .575 or Trulock .585. If you are shooting a Remington then I would try the RSF.

FYI, the above pattern was with a Remington Super Full lead only choke with the hand loads.  The Remington Super Full Hevi-shot choke throws a more open pattern or as suggested I'd try a Trulock Full Choke.

Let the little twenty EAT!!!!

owlhoot

Quote from: owlhoot on February 16, 2018, 01:14:22 PM

In 12 ga I would go .670 or higher. A bunch of these companies are in partnership with a choke manufacturer and so they recommend their choke. Never understood why anyone tries to push a 2.25 oz load through a .650 or .660.

Good info, thanks

davisd9

Quote from: Sand Man on February 16, 2018, 01:57:58 PM
Quote from: g8rvet on February 16, 2018, 12:32:25 PM
How do these patterns look at 15 steps?  Just curious on the size of the pattern. I have been looking for some close shots with TSS and have not seen any.  Just curious. I am so well stocked now on ammo, barring a catastrophe to gun or shells, I have at least 15 years worth for me and daughter (unless I hit the lottery and start hunting a Grand Slam every year).

TIGHT!  I hunt a lot of wide open wheat fields and mesquite flats here in TX, OK, and KS.  I can see the birds coming from a long ways generally.  I just don't let them get close.  Plus by the time I've watched them come for so far I can hardly stand it any more any way.  This is not a set up I'd use in the creek/river bottoms chasing Easterns in MS or a combo I'd give a kid.  I'd start with a mod choke in those situations and adjust accordingly after I patterned the gun.

If I do let a bird get in close on me with my setup, I aim at the base of the neck.  It ain't pretty if he's 20 yards and in!

FYI, the above pattern was with a Remington Super Full lead only choke with the hand loads.  The Remington Super Full Hevi-shot choke throws a more open pattern or as suggested I'd try a Trulock Full Choke.

Good to know. I have only ever tried the RSF that is hevi approved. Do you know if their constriction is different between them?  I think a 400 pattern from any 20 ga with any choke is an anomaly. That shot lights out!

Sand Man

Quote from: davisd9 on February 16, 2018, 02:17:27 PM
Good to know. I have only ever tried the RSF that is hevi approved. Do you know if their constriction is different between them?  I think a 400 pattern from any 20 ga with any choke is an anomaly. That shot lights out!

Don't quote me on this.   I think the lead only is .562, and the Hevi approved is more open.

We've had two of the 21" barrel 870s with the "lead-only" chokes shoot over 400 in the 10 @ 40 yards.  Both barrels were deep cleaned and polished to mirror finish. 

BottomLand54

Guys I am going to shoot some apex 9s out of a 562.5 I will see what it does when I get too do it. I want to continue read and see patterns out of the federal stuff. What I've seen so far I am really liking. And it is cheaper.

davisd9

Quote from: Sand Man on February 16, 2018, 02:29:44 PM
Quote from: davisd9 on February 16, 2018, 02:17:27 PM

Don't quote me on this.   I think the lead only is .562, and the Hevi approved is more open.

We've had two of the 21" barrel 870s with the "lead-only" chokes shoot over 400 in the 10 @ 40 yards.  Both barrels were deep cleaned and polished to mirror finish.

I think the hevi approved RSF is .570 or .575, think .570.  Never polished the barrel on the ones I have shot so that makes sense.  Is your load the Big 20 XL with the VP92 wads?  That is what I shoot in my 500 with the Carlson 575 and I average around 325 at 40 yards.

Sand Man

To the poster above, be careful with the Apex ammo.  I have a friend that got a wad stuck in the barrel and shot hardly made it 15ft from end of barrel.  Sounded like a low charged load to me, but Apex told him it was a bad batch of powder.  He asked them if they were going to issue a recall and let their customers know.  Their answer was no as they don't lot/batch number their loads.   :popcorn: :popcorn:

Quote from: davisd9 on February 16, 2018, 02:46:59 PM
I think the hevi approved RSF is .570 or .575, think .570.  Never polished the barrel on the ones I have shot so that makes sense.  Is your load the Big 20 XL with the VP92 wads?  That is what I shoot in my 500 with the Carlson 575 and I average around 325 at 40 yards.

I think the hevi RSF is .570 as well.  Yes, the handload above was Big 20XL with the VP92 wad.

buzzardroost

Quote from: BottomLand54 on February 15, 2018, 07:58:37 AM
You fellows going to nwtf convention tell us how much federal tss they have.

Federal Sold out of 20 gauge TSS very quick. The Apex booth was a goat roping. I got to it first, big line, they forgot their tax stamps. Had to wait 2 hours while they got tax stamps, then came back and got in line. They were so disorganized they had multiple lines going and everybody confused. Myslef and many others Ended up getting ticked off at how they were running it and left. I left to take my business to Federal. I did check back with Apex later and they had sold out of 20 gauge. Those guys just were not prepared at all for this convention.

BottomLand54

Quote from: buzzardroost on February 16, 2018, 03:52:18 PM
Quote from: BottomLand54 on February 15, 2018, 07:58:37 AM
You fellows going to nwtf convention tell us how much federal tss they have.

Federal Sold out of 20 gauge TSS very quick. The Apex booth was a goat roping. I got to it first, big line, they forgot their tax stamps. Had to wait 2 hours while they got tax stamps, then came back and got in line. They were so disorganized they had multiple lines going and everybody confused. Myslef and many others Ended up getting ticked off at how they were running it and left. I left to take my business to Federal. I did check back with Apex later and they had sold out of 20 gauge. Those guys just were not prepared at all for this convention.

Give them time they are new we all have been overwhelmed and New at things.

skimerhorn

Surprised to see my local gun store had federal tss on the shelf today!

longbeard71

UPS man just delivered mine from cabeals. :turkey2:

BottomLand54

It's forsale online at some
Places and backordered at others I want to see more pattern pics and results.