OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best Slate Calls?

Started by StruttinGobbler3, January 25, 2018, 08:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saverx

I got a VanCise  white oak slate over copper that almost plays itself. Very easy to talk turkey on this pot. I haven't conditioned it at all since I got it. It hasn't needed it.

idratherb

hard To pick one I luv my Cody's, parks gobbler slate, a Mabry and a real old 3" sneed I have from years  ago. Have a Dawkins in plastic that's good too.

Spitten and drummen

Cody world class , Cody spec 1 , Eddie Wynn's persimmon and zebra wood . I have piles of pot Calls and these 4 sound best to me. I also forgot a Platz cherry that has fooled quiet a few birds.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Ranger

Spring Allure is the best slate in my vest.  Dave Tyree, Lonnie Mabry, and an ancient HS Strut Pocket Series small slate are next
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Smooth_Operator

Own a pile of pot calls, lots of slates included. My two favorites are my Tim Sandford inlayed Myrtle Slate over Aluminum, and a Ricky Padgett (ccleroy on here) Leopard Wood Slate over Glass.
Calls are subjective to each person playing them, but these are my favorites at least. They both play soft and sweet just as easily as they can be screamed on, both really versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

Turkz39

Best slates in my best --1. TJ Johnson 2. Gary Anderson 3. Good ole Cody slate ..

bobk

Turkeys respond best to my Platz cherry slate and Rohm Brother gobbler slate.

sbbow

Yingling, Sneed and Jake Neassen (rugged custom  calls)

Fieldturkey

Paul Durham Osage green slate/glass is outstanding

BottomLand54

Everyone's different but I'd say a red slate over glass in a blue mahoe pot with a 1 piece Osage striker or a 1 piece ironwood striker.

Or a purple slate over glass in a persimmon pot with a 1 piece diamonwood striker

Or a red slate over glass in a persimmon pot with an Osage or ironwood striker.

Each there own.

I am not call biased

I like mike yingling

Jody Harrison(preacherman) red slates

And I love Jim Shelly persimmon Hill cAlls class calls

PALongspur

My favorites would be........

Mark Cornelius cherry

Cody Spec 1

Parks Gobbler Call

Primos Battey slate

mspaci

I use my own slate over glass in walnut pot

Wigsplitter

Lonnie sneed hot hen-- can't go wrong with that slate imo

Yoder409

Quote from: mspaci on January 27, 2018, 10:34:48 PM
I use my own slate over glass in walnut pot

Another guy rollin' his own !!

Welcome to the DIY club !!     :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

greencop01

Al Hobart of Enticer Turkey Calls, he doesn't break the bank and his calls brings in turkeys. They work, I know personaly.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!