OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best Slate Calls?

Started by StruttinGobbler3, January 25, 2018, 08:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StruttinGobbler3

I know opinions on this will vary depending upon the ear that hears it, but who is making the best slate call out there now? Just trying to stir up a little conversation. I have a solid aluminum, crystal, and glass in my vest right now, all of which I am in love with. However I still don't have a slate call that just has "that" sound to my ear. The kind you won't leave home without. So just for fun, what is everyones opinion?
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

Greg Massey

Jim Shelley makes one of the best slate over glass in walnut pot, that's award winning call, he also makes ceramic in cherry pot and glass pot that are all great pots.. check him out on facebook and on line at Persimmon hill Calls...  I feel if your going to buy any pot calls get with the maker and facetime them and hear the pot in action ...

Happy

I am really hesitant to recommend calls. Everyone runs them differently and everyone has a different idea of what sounds good to them. I have run calls that get talked up a lot and quite frankly I wasn't impressed. I have a few that had the sound I was looking for and so far they have earned their keep.
That being said I would recommend lonnie sneed if I was forced to. If nothing else you will possess a call from one of the the nicest guys out there. It sounds good to my ear and he has been doing it for many,many years. Plus you won't have any problem getting your money back if you don't like it. It ain't the prettiest call out there but it sounds good to me and that's what counts in my book.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Chris O

Slate is one of my favorites for sure I will name 4 that I wouldn't want to be without . I can't just name one and I have a few others I like also but here is my top 4 Scott Hock black limba slate over slate, Mike Yingling sappy walnut slate/slate,Chris Brumfiel walnut slate/glass,Misfire game calls redgum slate/aluminum these aren't in any order these are just 4 awesome calls

Yoder409

I do.

I made, with my own 10 thumbs, the walnut pot slate over glass that's been with me, exclusively, for the last 15 or so years.  Experimented with pot call building in my basement just to see if I could get the particular sound my ear wanted to hear.  Eventually I stumbled on how to get that sound.  I like it.  There's a few longbeards over the years who have agreed.

You did say this was for fun.............right ??   Haha !!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

dirt road ninja

I'm fond of my Lights out slate.

grayfox

Quote from: Happy on January 25, 2018, 08:38:23 PM
I am really hesitant to recommend calls. Everyone runs them differently and everyone has a different idea of what sounds good to them. I have run calls that get talked up a lot and quite frankly I wasn't impressed. I have a few that had the sound I was looking for and so far they have earned their keep.
That being said I would recommend lonnie sneed if I was forced to. If nothing else you will possess a call from one of the the nicest guys out there. It sounds good to my ear and he has been doing it for many,many years. Plus you won't have any problem getting your money back if you don't like it. It ain't the prettiest call out there but it sounds good to me and that's what counts in my book.

Totally agree.

StruttinGobbler3

I have heard quite a bit of buzz around Lonnie Sneed's hot hen slate. Does anyone know how to get in touch with him? Is he strictly order by phone or does he have a website?
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

MK M GOBL

Been an absolute killer for me for over 20 years! CODY World Class Slate
I'll pick performance over pretty every time.

Last year a friend bought me a CODY "SPEC I" Legend and that call speaks turkey :)

MK M GOBL

Tennessee Lead

Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on January 25, 2018, 09:48:10 PM
I have heard quite a bit of buzz around Lonnie Sneed's hot hen slate. Does anyone know how to get in touch with him? Is he strictly order by phone or does he have a website?
He doesn't have a web page but there is a Facebook group
His number is
1-304-425-3021

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wvmntnhick

I'll say that you're correct in the fact that everyone's ear is different. What I like you may hate. Just how things are. I've had numerous slates and have hated almost every one of them to some degree. Having said that, there are 2 that'll be with me forever. Mike Yingling and Lonnie Sneed. Both are top notch and I'll not part with either. Not about to mention names because it's not "professional" but after playing what some refer to as the best around, these are the only ones I'll keep. And don't get me wrong. It very likely could've been me. I'm just very satisfied with what I've got at the moment.

SteelerFan

Quote from: Happy on January 25, 2018, 08:38:23 PM

'zactly...  (x2)

Muzzy61

Quote from: Tennessee Lead on January 25, 2018, 10:07:14 PM
Quote from: StruttinGobbler3 on January 25, 2018, 09:48:10 PM
He doesn't have a web page but there is a Facebook group
His number is
1-304-425-3021

If you call be prepared to talk for awhile, but it will be an enjoyable experience. His Hot hen and Outlaw callers are killers.

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Gobble!

Love the notes I can hit with my Perfection Call Screamin Demon II.
Got a Sneed Hot Hen last year. Had Cody in the past. I think I like the Cody more than the Sneed.

dayna105

Enjoy my old Camp Caller. Not pretty but it sounds good to me.