turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Choke Recomendation For APEX load

Started by KentuckyLB, January 25, 2018, 03:58:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KentuckyLB

Hello everyone would like some suggestions on a choke. Recently bought a Winchester SPX Longbeard edition. I am currently going to shoot the APEX 2.5 oz of 8`s , APEX is recommending a 665. Indian Creek.
Would like to know if that choke would be sufficient or to tight for TSS as I have never shot it, have shot Nitro Ammo for last 20 years.. Any advice would be appreciated. .. Thanks

dirt road ninja

Coop1082

I'd probably get the IC Apex choke in a .680 to .690 for that gun. I'll be running a .680 out of my BPS.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

dirt road ninja

Fl strutter

I run a 670 Indian creek in my 870 with my 2.5 oz hanload of 8.5s. This is my pattern.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jBFEsXfXnc1xmixz1

KentuckyLB

Thanks for the replies everyone, I think I am going start with a 670. IC and go from there..I have read a lot of post on here about choking TSS to tight seems to like more open chokes.

Fullfan

When I hand loaded 2oz on TSS #9 for my 12ga Remington's I did the best with a factory full. Man 2.5oz of #8 TSS will be nasty. Keep us posted on the results.
Don't gobble at me...

Gobble!

Apex knows what they are doing but that does sound tight. Here are my patterns with 2.5oz of #9s out of a smaller bored 870 than your SPX with Indian Creek chokes. The .675 was more open than the .665 but I also think it was a more even pattern overall in 20".

TheSportsman

:z-winnersmiley:
Quote from: Coop1082 on January 25, 2018, 04:22:02 PM
I'd probably get the IC Apex choke in a .680 to .690 for that gun. I'll be running a .680 out of my BPS.

This....

USMC0331

They told me Indian creek .665 so I went with it. The pictures of my targets are on their website at 25 and 44 yards. That would at least see if it's to tight or not.

davisd9

I would try factory full.  665 is way too tight for that in my opinion. I would go see what Carlson or trulock had and start with a more open turkey choke or just a full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer