turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

spray paint

Started by tnanh, January 25, 2018, 02:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tnanh

I spray painted my single shot 12 gauge because I was tired of surface rust. Is clear coating necessary. Also do I need to worry about rust after painting with rustoleum? I put a 2x Simmons Pro Diamond on it that I also spray painted. I am definitely no artist but I am happy with how it looks.

dirt road ninja

I've used a matte clearcoat in the past as well as nothing. I see very little difference in durability between the two. The prep work seems to make a bigger difference.

tnanh

I sanded it pretty good but not to bare metal or wood. Then I wiped it down good with denatured alcohol. I then put a good coat of metal primer rustoleum on the wood and metal. I let that dry for two days and painted it a little at a time for the next three or four days. Hope I prepped it good but not sure. Never done one before. That is one reason I really don't want to clear coat. In case I have to do it again in the next couple of years.

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: tnanh on January 25, 2018, 10:57:46 PM
I sanded it pretty good but not to bare metal or wood. Then I wiped it down good with denatured alcohol. I then put a good coat of metal primer rustoleum on the wood and metal. I let that dry for two days and painted it a little at a time for the next three or four days. Hope I prepped it good but not sure. Never done one before. That is one reason I really don't want to clear coat. In case I have to do it again in the next couple of years.

Let it sit and cure for AT LEAST 3 weeks without toucning it and nicking/dinging the paint and you'll have better results.  I didn't do that with my 870 I did matte OD green and it now has two permanent scratches down to the primer.   Once it cured it became very hard and durable.   Before I let it cure it would almost scratch off with a thumbnail...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

tnanh

Ok. Thanks for the info.

CtRider

This got me thinking - for the ultimate tough finish - has anyone used spray Bedliner?

ilbucksndux

I have 2 870's that I have spray painted. One of them I that I use for a duck gun got painted as soon as I took it out of the box brand new. The 870 Express tends to get surface rust. I also have a first generation Super Mag that is my turkey gun that I painted. The last time I painted them was right at 10 years ago and I really took my time and did it right. Used etching primer and painted them over several days to let the layers dry. Turned the oven on and set the pieces in front of it and baked it on best I could. Finished it off with a clear coat and didnt toch either of them for a few weeks to let the paint cure . There are some spots that has wore or got scratched but it is the best paint job they have had.
Gary Bartlow

mightyjoeyoung

Quote from: CtRider on January 26, 2018, 04:52:41 AM
This got me thinking - for the ultimate tough finish - has anyone used spray Bedliner?

Would think it would be far too thick to use anywhere there'd be movement and/or friction.  You want the absolute thinnest application you can possibly get.  Makes sure things don't bind up...
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

ericjames

This is my little 20ga 870 youth. I decided to paint it with rattle cans. I matte cleared it after painting. It's held up great.

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

tnanh

That paint job looks super good.

gatrkyhntr70

Quote from: ericjames on January 27, 2018, 11:59:38 PM
This is my little 20ga 870 youth. I decided to paint it with rattle cans. I matte cleared it after painting. It's held up great.

That looks awesome! I like the look of painted guns vs dipped.
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

mikejd

That looks great. Probably the best paint job I have seen.

ericjames

Thanks. Here is a picture of it outside next to a pine.

gatrkyhntr70

Looks good! Imo the dipped guns have a dull shine to them that the painted guns dont have.
Did you use a sponge when you painted it?
<- <- <= <- <- <- <-

ericjames

Quote from: gatrkyhntr70 on February 11, 2018, 04:56:29 PM
Looks good! Imo the dipped guns have a dull shine to them that the painted guns dont have.
Did you use a sponge when you painted it?
I used a sponge.