turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Quietest diaphragm cut?

Started by RKeeper1, January 24, 2018, 10:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RKeeper1

What cut style would you say would be able to call softly and sound the best?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Laloom83

Pulled this off the web. I like the way it explains:

DOUBLE CUT
The Double Cut, like a Zink Z-Yelper, is perhaps the most subtle cut of them all. Perfect for soft tree yelps and the kee-kee runs of young birds, this call is ideal for use in the fall. It's also a great learning call, since it tends to be easy to blow.

W-CUT
The W-Cut, like a Will Primos-1, is a good all-purpose yelper. It'll produce more rasp than a double-cut, but is often easier to blow than more aggressive cuts.

BAT-WING
The Bat-Wing cut, like a Knight and Hale Warlock, is another favorite all-purpose call. This cut typically produces more rasp than a W-cut, but also requires more air and can be a bit more difficult to control.

SPLIT-V
The split-v, like a Hunter Specialties E-Z Cutter V, may be the most popular overall cut with today's turkey hunters. Easy to blow with moderate rasp and volume, a split-v allows you "bend" on that turkey from a distance and to tone it down when he gets close.

CUTTER
Usually the loudest and raspiest cut available, the cutter is a favorite of aggressive turkey callers – me included. Available from virtually all the major call-makers, cutters are the most difficult call to control, but are worth the learning curve. Check out the Total Knock Out from David Halloran Turkey Calls.

GHOST CUT
Another fall-hunter's favorite, a double-reed ghost cut is similar in tone to a split double. It's ideal for soft yelps and kee-kees, but it's capable of a bit more rasp and volume than a double-cut, making it a more versatile all-around call for the spring woods. Check out the Primos 2-Hooks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Laloom83

Sounds like you may like a ghost cut.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

compton30

Cut does not = mean quiet.

How hard or softly air is forced over reeds = volume of call.

2 reed calls require less air forced over the reeds to make turkey sounds.

Thus I would recommend a 2 reed call with your preferred cut and practice. There's no sound dampening long reed cut that I'm aware of.

RKeeper1

I realise a specific cut doesn't mean it's quiet by default. I asked what cut can get quiet AND still sound good. Ive tried a few (which cuts I cant remember) that did not sound good when trying to be quiet

TauntoHawk

just a call that doesn't take a ton of air pressure to run

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yelper

A single reed no cut, that is not stretched real tight.

EZ

Quote from: compton30 on January 25, 2018, 07:39:47 AM
Cut does not = mean quiet.

How hard or softly air is forced over reeds = volume of call.

2 reed calls require less air forced over the reeds to make turkey sounds.

Thus I would recommend a 2 reed call with your preferred cut and practice. There's no sound dampening long reed cut that I'm aware of.

Bingo!

compton30

Quote from: RKeeper1 on January 25, 2018, 09:10:20 AM
I realise a specific cut doesn't mean it's quiet by default. I asked what cut can get quiet AND still sound good. Ive tried a few (which cuts I cant remember) that did not sound good when trying to be quiet

That all depends on your personal ability to manipulate air over the call. If you can sound good being loud with a particular cut then you can sound good being soft on it with practice. The call doesn't suddenly turn into a dud because you're using less air.

Lonehowl

Turkz39

If you don't know already,  I would suggest  that you figure out which way your moving your air across your mouth call. It will either be center , left or Right....once you have figured that out... you can get the right call, And you can manipulate the call way better if it's cut to the way your air is moving......  When you find out. If your moving air center, A batwing stretched to 130s 140s will be hard to beat....if you moving air left or right a combo cut ,   Aka (shipwreck cut),  Cut to which ever side you need stretched to 130s 140 will be hard to beat.....just my opinion.

Daddy rat

Ghost cut for the beginner to average caller... if you practice calling a bunch you can pretty much make them all sound quite... 2 1/2 to 3 reed ghost cut would be good place to start

idratherb

Just practice, like trumpets or any good call they'll can play quiet.

Gooserbat

Another thing to consider is the weight of the reeds and the tightness of the stretch.  For instance my Dr Turkey and OsS calls have the exact same cut but different reeds and stretches.  The OsS plays a little softer because mostly of the much lighter reeds.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Happy

Diaphram calls are a tricky thing. We all have calls that fit us better than others.  You will find with time and experimentation you will have favorites as well. When you find it you will know. Practice, practice, and practice some more. Once you are good and find "your" call, then the call will almost seem to run itself. Doing everything you want as fast as you can think it. In my humble opinion the diaphram is the best call out there and well worth the time to master. I would rather hunt in my boxer shorts than without a diaphragm.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club