OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Top turkey books

Started by ddturkeyhunter, January 15, 2018, 10:27:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3bailey3

I have read a few of the books mentioned but favorite is Double Gobble by Bobby Dale, good read but I liked it because it was around a area and some people that I know!

davisd9

Quote from: rifleman on January 15, 2018, 05:51:59 PM
Right now can't remember the author but I enjoy Illuminations in the Flatwoods.

Joe Hutto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

davisd9

Many great ones mentioned including my favorite the Old Pro Turkey Hunter.

A few other good ones are:
The Turkey Hunting World of Ben Lee

The Art and Science of Turkey Hunting by Lovett Williams

The Voice and Vocabulary of the Wild Turkey by Lovett Williams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

compton30

All above listed are very good.

Books I'm very interested in reading but haven't yet: Turkey Men volumes 1 and 2. Profiling the guys who have completed the US Super Slam. Including Old Gobbler's very own, Dave Owens, also known here as "Cove"

1iagobblergetter

Anyone read Wingbone Cryers book? That's one book I've always wanted to buy and read,but has eluded me...

PALongspur

"Bad Birds" is definitely my all time favorite, one I always read pre-season.

I'm also very fond of the three turkey hunting books written by John M. McDaniel of Virginia. They contain a great mix of useful information with a lot of great storytelling.

Rapscallion Vermilion

A few more good ones to add to what's been mentioned:

The Grand Obsession - A Half Century of Hunting the Wild Turkey in Florida,  P. W. Phillips
Turkey Hunting with Charlie Elliott, Charles Elliott
Compositions of a Sickness, Donald Dervereaux Jarrett
Turkey Tails and Tales from Across the USA,  Tom "Doc" Weddle
Gobblers I Have Known ...,  Tim Herald

mgm1955

Home At Last Is The Hunter is a great story

larry9988

If you enjoyed reading Hutto's Illuminations in the flat woods, go on line and search for "My Life as a Turkey"
its a video documentary on Hutto and his turkey experience. He went on to live with mule deer and bighorn sheep out west too. I used to show this video in my high school wildlife management when we did our unit on wild turkey management. A few of my students emailed him for a while keeping up with what project he was working on at the time. It pretty much follows the book.

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: compton30 on January 15, 2018, 10:11:01 PM
All above listed are very good.

Books I'm very interested in reading but haven't yet: Turkey Men volumes 1 and 2. Profiling the guys who have completed the US Super Slam. Including Old Gobbler's very own, Dave Owens, also known here as "Cove"
Just finished Turkey Men volumes 1, yes a very good book

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: Dukejb on January 15, 2018, 04:46:36 PM
http://jimcasadaoutdoors.com

This is Jim Casada's website. You can buy his books plus a massive selection of others directly from him. I've bought a couple from him, and he is very quick and a pleasure to buy from.
Wow Thanks for the Tip on Jims web site, Got the one book I was looking for and one more. Then had to get out of there before I spent more money. Will be back fore more, later, if need any turkey book it looks like JIM might have it if you need it.

Dukejb

Quote from: ddturkeyhunter on January 17, 2018, 09:28:38 AM
Quote from: Dukejb on January 15, 2018, 04:46:36 PM
http://jimcasadaoutdoors.com

This is Jim Casada's website. You can buy his books plus a massive selection of others directly from him. I've bought a couple from him, and he is very quick and a pleasure to buy from.
Wow Thanks for the Tip on Jims web site, Got the one book I was looking for and one more. Then had to get out of there before I spent more money. Will be back fore more, later, if need any turkey book it looks like JIM might have it if you need it.

Haha! I understand. I have to be careful on there or I'll get in major trouble on the home front.

LaLongbeard

Turkey hunting Digest and Bad Birds both by Jim Spencer.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Halfski

I would recommend all of Richard Schamber's turkey hunting books . . . but only to my mother in law. 

greencop01

Anything by Tom Kelly or Kenny Morgan or Earl Mickel or Lovett Williams a lifetime of reading there. I still say Tom Kelly's "Take Back in Fancy" is one of his best.
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!