turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

SNAKE BITE KIT???!!!???

Started by Tailwalk, January 07, 2018, 11:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tailwalk

Who all carries a snake bite kit? Never really thought about it until now. Iv heard some are trash and some are legit.

Any recommendations on a certain brand??? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

I carry one. Not sure how effective it is. It is one of the suction type. I read reviews on it and most gave it two thumbs up for nipple play. So if I get bit I will probably die but at least I can have some sensitive nipples before I go. For some odd reason that doesn't make me feel better about it.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Muzzy61

No,I figure I'll die of a heart attack if I get bite.....
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Greg Massey

I carry a skin bite kit , my shotgun...

LaLongbeard

Lots of moccasins and Copperheads in La I have had a few close calls but never actually hit. I now have a pair of the turtle skin snake leggings they  weigh almost nothing I wear them under my camo pants and forget I'm even wearing them. There cheaper than a pair of snake boots and 10 times lighter than the boots. I have a pair of Russell's turkey hunting boots being made they have a layer of turtle skin snake armor sewed Between the layers of leather, the snake armor is only about the thickness of couple pieces of paper.I ordered the 10" high boots and the leggings will protect up to the knee without having to wear the knee high heavy/hot boots. Just have to watch were you put your hands and were you sit. I'm not  scared of snakes but have you read how much the anti venom treatments are $$$ I'll buy the boots and wear the leggings
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Happy

On a serious note I wear snake boots as well. Never had a close call with a venomous snake while turkey hunting but I have while trout fishing. I prefer to play it safe. I tend to watch the ground more when hunting but where I tend to hunt being bitten would be bad news.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Greg Massey

I always wear skin boots ... myself...regardless ...

J.D. Shellnut

Snake bite kits are predominantly useless and tend to rob you of precious time you should be using to get to a hospital. Calm yourself down and make a slow and steady pace to your truck. Call a ambulance if possible and make sure your local hospital carries anti-venom for the poisonous snakes in your area.
60% of the time it works every time!

Kylongspur88

I have some gaitors I wear when in snake country. I've seen plenty of copperheads and timber rattlers. Never had a close call, but all it takes is one wrong step and you get popped on the back of the leg.

From what I've read most of the snake bite kits are crap. Your best bet is to get to the ER as fast as possible.

Gentry

Lacrosse grange and get gone. Snakes are the last thing on my mind when turkey hunting.

wvmntnhick

If u've been bitten it's already too late. One can't unmix venom in the bloodstream. It's there. Just get to the hospital preferably with the snake in question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EZ

This thread made me think of a quote from W.C. Fields:

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake."

tree-rat sniper

I saw one timber-rattler, once here in NEIA over 30 years ago, but I'm more worried about the ticks... neighbor's young son tested lyme positive last year.
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!

Kylongspur88

Quote from: tree-rat sniper on January 15, 2018, 06:42:01 PM
I saw one timber-rattler, once here in NEIA over 30 years ago, but I'm more worried about the ticks... neighbor's young son tested lyme positive last year.

I don't have stats but I'd say ticks and mosquitos are more dangerous than snakes with all the disease they spread.

Cottonmouth