turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Just wondering....

Started by Happy, December 31, 2017, 03:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BottomLand54

I bet if you buy a thermacell you will thank everyone on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

I love turkey hunting and is my number 1 hobby. I do not mind spending money on it. I have old stuff that I continue to hunt with but i enjoy trying out new things.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Cut N Run

I love my SBE II shotgun, red dot, choke, and Hevi shot. It hammers gobblers efficiently.  The slate call I use is 28 years old and I've lost count how many notches it has...it's more than just a few.  I hunt deer with the .308 Winchester Model 70 Featherweight I bought new in 1981. I haven't bought another primary deer rifle because shooting that one is like shaking hands with an old friend. Besides, it does all I need it to.  I replace camo & boots as they wear out.  I love the new fabrics and camo finishes.  GoreTex is your friend, so are ThermaCells. 

I bought a North Carolina lifetime sportsman's license in 1986 when I was 25 and it has more than paid for itself by now that I'm 57.

My jake decoy was made in 1996 and it still works great.  My hunting knife is a Buck Lite 422, which I bought in 1986. If it could talk, it would speak of a busy life. It goes hunting every time I do.  I have a backpack in original TreBark I bought in 1989 that still works great & loves to hunt too.   My current box call is a Q.B. filed grade boat paddle that I bought in the 90s.  It has a lot of turkey in it and quite a few notches on it as well.  I deer hunt from a Cadillac climbing stand that I've owned since the late 80s.  No telling how many deer I've killed from it. Lots & lots.

All those things will probably out-live me, but they have all served me well.  I have nephews who can fight over it.

I bought my scuba gear in 1993 and it has been with me for every minute of the 1,300 hours I've logged underwater so far. It gets serviced every year, because it is life support gear and needs to be in top condition.  I have had so many Discovery Channel moments right before my eyes with it.  If I were to check out tomorrow, I'd be O.K. with that, because I'm way ahead on adventure in my life.

I'm still on the original wife (24 years now), she encourages me to turkey hunt, because she loves the meat and understands that I need & love the challenge.  She's not much for hunting and fishing because she's got an equestrian obsession. She doesn't interfere with my outdoor pursuits since she rides her horse 5 days a week.  I'd rather have her riding his @$$ than mine.

I tend to stick with what works, but I adapt to improvements in gear which allow me to maximize my free time. It's crazy not to.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

1iagobblergetter

I don't mind trying new and improved. Sometimes it works out sometimes I end up going back to whats worked for years. As far as the Wife I've had mine for almost 25 years. Don't want to find out what it might cost me to try something else new.

BottomLand54

My wife hopefully by the Grace of God my first and last. Made an oath before God rill death due us part.  She Hs decided to learn to play a pot call.  Amazing she's a girly girl and a godly modest virtuous woman, she's a paying woman, she's a homemaker, she's a hard worker, she is beautiful, she is sweet, she is my best friend, and by the grace of God she says go hunting hunny you love it. In the mornings I finer her reading her bible and praying while drinking coffee. When life gets hard and the ministry gets hard she's my coach. Boys I got a good woman. She has had ample
Opportunities to kill deer and has been with me while I have shot numerous with a bow, she just watches and smiles and says you love this don't you. That smile she greets me with is better then any gobbler could ever put on my face, that encouragement she gives when I feel like no one care is better then killing a grand slam. They threw the mold away when they made her. Our house is always clean, my clothes are always clean, groceries are always bought and put away, dishes are always cleaned, and she knows I don't like scented detergent so she washes all out clothes and linens in non scented detergent all year so extra protection during deer season.

I don't need a new wife I got the best one a man could ask for, home cooked meals. Praise God I  am a blessed ol country boy. God has been good to this ol boy. Fellors if you don't know Jesus he is the greatest thing that will ever happen in your life! He will change you life, your family, your outlook, he will clean you up and make you not even like yourself because you will love him so much.

Oh what sweet grace He gives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crow

Quote from: Happy on January 30, 2018, 02:00:22 PM
Oh I get it. Greg no shots fired your way. I made my "new"wife an outdoors woman. She always wanted to live in the country. She shot her first gun with me and now target shoots with a bow as well. Guess with both of us coming from failed marriages made us both realize what matters the most. We are a great team. I don't hunt near as much as I used to and that's a decision I made. I am a husband and father now. I want to be everything my father was not. My kids are getting the love and support that I never had and my wife is getting it as well. We both have our hobbies, hers is coaching volleyball and mine is in the woods. We share duties and make it work so we both have a little fun time. Our kids almost always have one of us around and life is good. Once they are out of the house I will hunt more but that just isn't the top priority now. I want my daughter to see how a good husband treats his wife and for my boys to see how a man acts. Not these selfish little boys running around these days. I honestly believe the death of the family has led to the decline of america. I don't want to support that trend.

good post

Gooserbat

I'd just like to fit in my camo clothes from highschool.

That said I have gotten over a lot of the latest and greatest craze but I still look for improvement.  Camo isn't as important as function, and I'll upgrade my bow semiannually partly because I work for a bow company.  And tss has proven itself to be the best performing loads for me.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.