turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Just wondering....

Started by Happy, December 31, 2017, 03:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaLongbeard

I'm not a new equipment junkie by any means. I'll use the same old 870 I started with till one of us can't hunt anymore. But sometimes the new stuff completely changes the game HVY shot and thermacells are two items I would not want to give up. 
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

longbeardbuster

Thinking of getting a thermacell. Do they really work as well as people are talking about? Last year I got bit up so bad plus for outdoor concerts and things. Really hope it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Some people just need to get out of the Flintstones error. I'm a person who loves peanut butter on crackers, toast, biscuit's and the good old jelly and peanut butter sandwich. My favorite brands are Jiffy and Peter Pan. One day my wife bought home a new jar of Peter Pan honey roast creamy and guys and girls let me tell you it was game changing.. One of my main breakfast sandwiches is peanut butter and jelly out in the early morning turkey hunting woods. SO don't be afraid to try something new, it could be new guns, call's , truck's , knives, new camo or MAYBE A NEW WIFE... I have never liked a wife that didn't like to listen to her husband play turkey calls in the house all day.. My wife in 40 years of marriage has never complained what i buy for hunting, fishing, collecting or just plan enjoying life... You should just see our walk in closet and just how many pair's of shoes my wife has , i guarantee she can wear a different pair 365 day's a year. But i will never complain.. Old stuff is nice and new stuff is also...

Greg Massey

Quote from: longbeardbuster on January 30, 2018, 01:01:06 PM
Thinking of getting a thermacell. Do they really work as well as people are talking about? Last year I got bit up so bad plus for outdoor concerts and things. Really hope it works.

They really work and are worth the investment .. you can get a camo pouch and wear it on your side of just lay it down beside you and they even have a way to hook it next to you in a tree if you bow or gun hunting..

Happy

You had me to a point. Up to the new wife part. Just something about vows made before the Lord that I take very, very seiously. Prolly didn't help that my dad ran off with another woman and my 1st wife decided she liked bars and other guys.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Marc

Some things have changed with the times, and others not so much...

Rain gear and hunting clothes have come a long ways since I started hunting as a child.  As a duck hunter it is a lot easier to stay dry and comfortable than previous, and I see no reason not to take advantage of such.
With more hunting pressure and smarter birds (and changes in bird behavior) I use the most realistic and best quality duck decoys I can afford...  Small spreads with quality decoys can make a difference between watching sunrises and shooting ducks.

Calls have changed in duck hunting, and I have my favorites (for both ducks and geese).  Mouth calls have evolved since I started turkey hunting, but box calls and friction calls...  Not so much.
Hunting packs...  Some of the newer packs are certainly better (but way over-priced for me), but a lot of the new stuff is junk...  I still have (and use at times) the military pack I used as a kid...  Just got my oldest daughter a military pack that will likely last a lifetime (she is seven years old)...

I cannot use lead shot to hunt in California, so Hevi-shot is my choice for turkeys (I cannot afford such for waterfowl hunting).  On a good year turkey hunting, I will fire three rounds...  The cost of having good ammunition for such low volume shooting is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of gas for me to drive out...  Not to mention the license, stamps, and all the other unnecessary hunting crap I purchase.

Shotguns...  If I could still shoot lead, I would prefer shooting some of the older shotguns...  I have my grandfather's A-5 that is a pleasure to wing-shoot with, and I am dead on with that gun...  Finding modern loads that work in that gun is a bit of a chore though.  I have an older Citori as a well as a Winchester 101 that I still shoot a lot of pigeons with...  Those guns are solid reliable guns and great shooters; not much has changed in break-action guns, and the old ones are as good or better than the new ones.

That being said, my primary duck/turkey hunting gun is a Beretta that I have shot about 10 years now...  I will replace it with a new modern gun when/if it no longer works.  I redneck'd the gun with a can of Rustoleum last year to camo it out, and as the paint comes off, I patch paint it with either browns (for duck hunting) or greens (for turkey hunting)...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Happy on January 30, 2018, 01:29:15 PM
You had me to a point. Up to the new wife part. Just something about vows made before the Lord that I take very, very seiously. Prolly didn't help that my dad ran off with another woman and my 1st wife decided she liked bars and other guys.
Happy it's just hard to find a wife anymore who come's from a hunting family.. i was very lucky to find my wife 41 years ago. After dating for a year and hunting, fishing and camping with her family i new i had a keeper.. Sorry that your didn't turn out so good.. My mother and father divorced and i was just 12 year old and i had to start working mowing grass, doing odd jobs and working on paper route just so i could have money for lunch at school and other things i needed. My mother worked 3 jobs most of her life just to support us 3 kids... I not longer have my mother or father they both died years ago. My oldest brother died in my arm's one day fishing on the Tennessee River from Lung cancer enjoying what he love doing. I still have my youngest sister and lot's of family and friends and i plan on enjoying whatever make me happy until the good Lord decides i need to come home...

Happy

Oh I get it. Greg no shots fired your way. I made my "new"wife an outdoors woman. She always wanted to live in the country. She shot her first gun with me and now target shoots with a bow as well. Guess with both of us coming from failed marriages made us both realize what matters the most. We are a great team. I don't hunt near as much as I used to and that's a decision I made. I am a husband and father now. I want to be everything my father was not. My kids are getting the love and support that I never had and my wife is getting it as well. We both have our hobbies, hers is coaching volleyball and mine is in the woods. We share duties and make it work so we both have a little fun time. Our kids almost always have one of us around and life is good. Once they are out of the house I will hunt more but that just isn't the top priority now. I want my daughter to see how a good husband treats his wife and for my boys to see how a man acts. Not these selfish little boys running around these days. I honestly believe the death of the family has led to the decline of america. I don't want to support that trend.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

longbeardbuster

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 30, 2018, 01:13:54 PM

They really work and are worth the investment .. you can get a camo pouch and wear it on your side of just lay it down beside you and they even have a way to hook it next to you in a tree if you bow or gun hunting..

Thanks, I think I'll pick one up at the NWTF convention this year. Maybe they'll have them at a low low low convention price lol.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Happy on January 30, 2018, 02:00:22 PM
Oh I get it. Greg no shots fired your way. I made my "new"wife an outdoors woman. She always wanted to live in the country. She shot her first gun with me and now target shoots with a bow as well. Guess with both of us coming from failed marriages made us both realize what matters the most. We are a great team. I don't hunt near as much as I used to and that's a decision I made. I am a husband and father now. I want to be everything my father was not. My kids are getting the love and support that I never had and my wife is getting it as well. We both have our hobbies, hers is coaching volleyball and mine is in the woods. We share duties and make it work so we both have a little fun time. Our kids almost always have one of us around and life is good. Once they are out of the house I will hunt more but that just isn't the top priority now. I want my daughter to see how a good husband treats his wife and for my boys to see how a man acts. Not these selfish little boys running around these days. I honestly believe the death of the family has led to the decline of america. I don't want to support that trend.
AMEN HAPPY GREAT POST>>I HOPE A LOT OF PEOPLE READ THIS ...

guesswho

I still have my original shell and I plan on using it one day.  And who wears socks!

I'm more of comfortist.  If it's works and I'm comfortable with it, it's hard to get me to change.  Most of what I use has some age on it.  I have patches that are clothed together, for those that don't know, that's more patches than original material.  My boots/shoes both have a good 7-10 years on them.  My newest equipment is my gun/shells which this will be their 2nd season.  And my mouth calls are 8-10 year old but some are still in the package and in standby in case I have a blow out.  The newest call I have is my Mark Sharpe cane call and I'm guessing it's 4 or 5 years old.   Even hats are hard to change.  My current one is on year 7 and the one before that was well over 10, and the only reason I changed then was it fell victim to an unfortunate bushhog accident and I had to put it down.  Literally held a ashes to ashes ceremony for it and cremated it.   Even have pictures of the ceremony.   People see me in camo in the store getting coffee and most think I probably can't even spell turkey let alone kill one.   

Oh, and I still have the original Wife.  She has a lot of miles on her but she's dependable.  And I figure it's cheaper to keep up the maintenance on her than it would be to trade her in for a new model.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Greg Massey

Quote from: guesswho on January 30, 2018, 02:37:16 PM
I still have my original shell and I plan on using in one day.  And who wears socks!

I'm more of comfortist.  If it's works and I'm comfortable with it, it's hard to get me to change.  Most of what I use has some age on it.  I have patches that are clothed together, for those that don't know, that's more patches than original material.  My boots/shoes both have a good 7-10 years on them.  My newest equipment is my gun/shells which this will be their 2nd season.  And my mother calls are 8 y are old but some are still in the package and in standby in case I have a blow out.  The newest call I have is my Mark Sharpe cane call and I'm guessing it's 4 or 5 years old.   Even hats are hard to change.  My current one is on year 7 and the one before that was well over 10, and the only reason I changed then was it fell victim to an unfortunate bushhog accident and I had to put it down.  Literally held a ashes to ashes ceremony for it and cremated it.   Even have pictures of the ceremony.   People see me in camo in the store getting coffee and most think I probably can't even spell turkey let alone kill one.   

Oh, and I still have the original Wife.  She has a lot of miles on her but she's dependable.  And I figure it's cheaper to keep up the maintenance on her than it would be to trade her in for a new model.
Your just like a cabbage patch doll... :TooFunny:

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

LaLongbeard

Alot of things don't live up to the hype .... the thermacell is not one of them. Some spring days in Louisiana after a 3 day rain and temps in the low 90s I would rather forget my gun than the thermacell I have one in my vest and a brand new in the box backup in the truck at all times. I hated the old days of having to spray down with the bug sprays they only worked on the areas you sprayed sweated  off in a couple hours and would fade your camo and take the finish right off a wood stock.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Tail Feathers

It sure didn't take me long to buy a Thermacell when they came out.   I can't think of a turkey season yet where I didn't have something new to hit the woods with.
I picked up a new pair of camo pants just yesterday when I saw 'em on clearance.  That may well be the only new item I hit the woods with for spring 2018.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!