turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Just wondering....

Started by Happy, December 31, 2017, 03:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

So  this earlier tss thread got me to thinking. How many here are more into using old tried and true accessories than the newest,latest and greatest developments? I believe I am more of the latter. I still use my original turkey gun and deer rifle, my bow is going on 8 years and I stockpile ammo and arrows so I am set for years, as far as hunting clothes and boots go I just have people by them for christmas or birthdays. I am always a sucker for a good knife but my favorites are at least 10 years old. This year I used a buck Akuana for my deer knife. It is from the 70's and I felt it sat in a case for too many years. My climbing treestand is 20 years old this year and still gong strong. I like simple and familiar. It works well for me and I feel pretty efficient with it. Not that I feel like all new stuff is bad but I just like using things that are proven. I see some hunting clothes in the stores and look at the price tag and i wonder if there was a misprint. Run my fingernail across the material and know I wouldn't pay 10 dollars for it. The most deadly hunters I know aren't using the latest and greatest. Heck I doubt they have bought new socks in five years. But they are efficient and I wouldn't bet against them. Not knocking the new stuff at all. These are just my observations.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

longbeardbuster

I'm turning 40 this year. I'm still using the same blaze orange jacket I got when I was 16 for deer hunting along with the same camo bibs I got when I was 18. I finally broke down and bought new camo turkey pants and shirt last year. Before that it was stuff I got when I was 15 to use for archery deer. Same Deer rifle since I was 18 and turkey gun I got when I was 25. The gun I used before that I got when I was 18 and it's still in use for small game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kylongspur88

I'm 35 and still wear camo I got in high school. I also shoot aluminum arrows...

Greg Massey

Thank god for the NEW STUFF, I've been hunting for over 50 years, and this new stuff will keep me a lot warmer.. As a kid until i was 22 year old, i didn't know what a pair of insulated coveralls were and if you had pair of good insulated boots you were at the top of the game... About having and carrying that old shotgun , sure glad i have new and better shotguns with these choke tubes. My first real hunting knife was Buck 110, i own about 6 of these knives and many more different types. Bow's I've had several of these during the years.  So at the age of 60 I REAL APPRECIATE the newer and better things in life.  I sure don't miss those old 6 cylinder straight shift truck either with not air. I enjoy my new Chevy Silverado truck with back up camera lot better these day's, the old neck doesn't turn like it did when i was in my 20's .. I like my new recliner and computer, i'm not ready for the old rocking chair YET...lol ..... I do like collecting old hunting item's calls, knives, gun's and old cast iron pots and dutch ovens ...  If i tried to wear anything i had back in high school i would have to go naked...I enjoy the better camo clothing it's a lot better than what we didn't have, the reason i worked for over 40 years and retired was to enjoy the better things in life...

ilbucksndux

Some of the newer things are much better than the old stuff,but I dont just run out and get the latest and greatest new stuff either. I bought my bow in 2000-2001 and it is about wore out. I switched from aluminum arrows 2 years ago because I bought 10 dozen aluminum arrows from a shop that was going out of business. My old boat was a 1969 18' flat bottom and I upgraded to a 15' 1999 Express. I still have my Columbia coat and bibs I bought in the late '90's Im gonna have to upgrade cause they are a little small. 2 years ago I got my first flat screen TV cause the old one died. Got my first Blue ray player cause the dvd/vhs player died. I dont buy new stuff just because there is newer stuff out there,I replace stuff when its worn out.

Now some of the stuff now is much better that the old stuff. I love my lined wader pants much better than jeans and long johns. My new waders are much warmer than the old uninsulated rubber or canvas ones. Some of the new clothes they have out are much warmer with half the bulk.
Gary Bartlow

bbcoach

I believe technology and innovation has made sports better.  Warmer lighter clothes, better ammo, better guns ie. better everything IMO but it all comes at a HIGHER cost.  Each of us have to look at our personal wallets and evaluate, Is this really worth the return?  We ALL have an opinion, for some yes and others no.  Each of us have to evaluate the current sales pitch and see if it fits our budget first and foremost and see if the new technology REALLY benefits our goals.  My Dad and Mom had a saying when I was growing up, "Don't let your WANTS hurt you."  In other words, can the cost of the item you are about to spend money on REALLY make LIFE that much better for you.  It's up to each of us to make that determination daily. 

BottomLand54

This is my young rookie take on things:

I don't have cable tv or satellite
We didn't even have a tv u til about a year ago when someone thought we were poor and bought us a big flat screen tv.
I don't have a boat
I don't have a 4 wheeler

Nothing against any of those things, allot of guys have RV payments, boat payments, atv payments, etc...

Me I like my new hunting stuff, is a box call really a new call when the Oregonian design goes back beyond most of our birthdays.

I like new camo, I like new guns, I like new shells, I like new knives, I really like New climbing deer stands..... happy you need to try a summit viper you will climb that tree in half the time and not need to go to the chiropractor as much because it weighs half as much. I like new boots. And thanks be unto God the Lord has allowed me to have these things, the Lord gives me health and strength to go to work and to be-able to work so I can afford these things. I love my new Toyota Tundra with electric start and heated seats. I am not being boastful I wouldnt have nothing if it were not for the blessings of God.

So me I like old stuff like
Old John Deere's and hit and miss motors and even old trucks and cars but when it comes to hunting I like new stuff.

Happy

.... happy you need to try a summit viper you will climb that tree in half the time and not need to go to the chiropractor as much because it weighs half as much.

Thanks but my stand only weighs about 18 lbs and I can be up a tree in minutes. Also my father in law is a chiropractor and my wife is a CA so it kinda works out:).

BottomLand54

Quote from: Happy on January 30, 2018, 06:49:25 AM
.... happy you need to try a summit viper you will climb that tree in half the time and not need to go to the chiropractor as much because it weighs half as much.

Thanks but my stand only weighs about 18 lbs and I can be up a tree in minutes. Also my father in law is a chiropractor and my wife is a CA so it kinda works out:).

Lol I need to go hunting with you then, you always crack me up lol.

I enjoy reading your threads and these posts.

I will have to agree with some of you, that some the old stuff is built better, like the old Remington's. Old knives with American made steel blades, there is advantages to new and old.

Some folks say I would never pay 1800.00 for a super black eagle benelli.

I could go out and buy a Remington 870 that would cost 300.00 and shoot poa/poi butni
Like the feel of a benelli and of a franchi.

It's funny how we all have different ideas and thoughts and that's what makes this great American sport called Turkey hunting great.

Happy

Come on up anytime bottomland. Unfortunately the only property I can take people on is public ground though. I have over 70,000 acres of hunting club in two states but unfortunately no guests. I will warn you that that I have been referred to in not very nice names when guiding as well. The phrases, sadistic, death march, and crazy are heard frequently. I have also heard the phrase I can't feel my @$$!! Muttered a few times after some little hikes up these mountains. One of my favorite things to do when taking a newer hunter is when one gobbles in the predawn darkness is to grab the new guy by the shoulders and exitedly whisper "what the heck was that!!!!" "It's not dangerous is it?"
That really makes them wonder what they just got into.

BottomLand54

Lol  we snipe hunt on full moons here in Nc

Happy

You only go snipe hunting once round these parts. Unless your me and then you go twice.

Gobble!

If it can increase my odds of killing a turkey the way I like to hunt or make me more efficient, I'll buy it.

ddturkeyhunter

There are some of the new things I wouldn't want to give up now like my Thermal Cell, or my DSD decoy. Other wise I am set for years. But still can't wait to see whats NEW EVERY YEAR in the Midwest Turkey call every spring.

BottomLand54

MAn would I like to shake the man who invented a thermacell praise God for that.