turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many are switching to TSS ?

Started by Gamblinman, December 29, 2017, 03:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

You know guys with all of you who reload the prices may go up for you also..it's called supply and demand..Apex is out of 20 gauge 9.5 and it's still Jan..so reloaders i wouldn't brag just yet with how cheap you reloading Tss...

Gooserbat

I just don't get how it's $9 per shell unless you buy it loaded.  I hand load a 2oz 12 ga load for around $6.75 each and a 1 5/8 20 ga for aroun $6.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

davisd9

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 26, 2018, 10:51:07 AM
You know guys with all of you who reload the prices may go up for you also..it's called supply and demand..Apex is out of 20 gauge 9.5 and it's still Jan..so reloaders i wouldn't brag just yet with how cheap you reloading Tss...

There is a reason why you buy in the off season and have plenty to spare.  Got prices yesterday for shot and still looking good.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Greg Massey

Quote from: davisd9 on January 26, 2018, 11:13:02 AM

There is a reason why you buy in the off season and have plenty to spare.  Got prices yesterday for shot and still looking good.
That's great for you reloaders, i hope these prices hold the same for you, but as we all know time will tell with Federal and Apex...and don't think these other shell manufacturers aren't going to take notice of what's happening with Tss shells...with Federal in the game...

davisd9

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 26, 2018, 11:18:32 AM

That's great for you reloaders, i hope these prices hold the same for you, but as we all know time will tell with Federal and Apex...and don't think these other shell manufacturers aren't going to take notice of what's happening with Tss shells...with Federal in the game...

Apex deals in no more quantity of shot then who I buy shot from.  They are no real competition as far as getting shot goes.  Federal probably has their own connections.  There are plenty of people to buy shot from which helps prices,  I stick with who I started buying from cause he has always been honest and reliable.  There is plenty of lead shells out there and I can still load lead shells for cheaper than I can buy them, steel as well.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Greg Massey

Quote from: davisd9 on January 26, 2018, 11:24:00 AM

Apex deals in no more quantity of shot then who I buy shot from.  They are no real competition as far as getting shot goes.  Federal probably has their own connections.  There are plenty of people to buy shot from which helps prices,  I stick with who I started buying from cause he has always been honest and reliable.  There is plenty of lead shells out there and I can still load lead shells for cheaper than I can buy them, steel as well.
I'm glad your able to load these shells at a reasonable price, but at my age NOW buying a lot of equipment and supplies wouldn't be practicable , so i will just buy what i need from Apex or Federal...

davisd9

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 26, 2018, 11:42:33 AM
Quote from: davisd9 on January 26, 2018, 11:24:00 AM

I'm glad your able to load these shells at a reasonable price, but at my age NOW buying a lot of equipment and supplies wouldn't be practicable , so i will just buy what i need from Apex or Federal...

Nothing wrong with that, if I go through with the 410 after this season I will start off with the federal loads for it. There is not as much involved in loading the shells as many people think, but not everyone is into it. I also load my deer rounds and some pistol so it is an overall hobby. Do not use a traditional loader for turkey shells as you are loading so few and all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

owlhoot

So Davis  for those who may want to know, how cheap can a guy load tss rounds compareable to apex loads and others??
Thanks

davisd9

Quote from: owlhoot on January 26, 2018, 12:53:37 PM
So Davis  for those who may want to know, how cheap can a guy load tss rounds compareable to apex loads and others??
Thanks

My 20 ga 1 5/8 oz load runs about $6.35 a shell if I remember correctly.

BottomLand54

I know this is crazy but how much would it cost to buy all the quality equipment needed.

And when y'all are pricing loading a round are you including your equipment prices in that, your hull, primer, buffer, shot, and cards?

I would really like to know if a man went and bought all new stuff to load tss what does he need and how much to get started. I know there is probaly a thread somewhere about this but why not ask here why we are all having a great time talking about it.

fallhnt

Quote from: BottomLand54 on January 26, 2018, 01:18:11 PM
I know this is crazy but how much would it cost to buy all the quality equipment needed.

And when y'all are pricing loading a round are you including your equipment prices in that, your hull, primer, buffer, shot, and cards?

I would really like to know if a man went and bought all new stuff to load tss what does he need and how much to get started. I know there is probaly a thread somewhere about this but why not ask here why we are all having a great time talking about it.

Good point. I don't shoot enough to reload. I only gun hunt turkey and that isn't every year so reloading isn't an option. Federal flight contol shoots good out of my early 90's Remingtons that are all original. It's .410 that I'm buying.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

davisd9

With respect to the owners of the forum it has been asked not to discuss handloading in detail to protect them from liability issues. 

kdsberman

I guess if I did bite the bullet and spend the money on these expensive shells, they would last me a while thanks to Michigan's ridiculous 1-bird limit. 

Gobble!

Quote from: Gooserbat on January 26, 2018, 11:10:52 AM
I just don't get how it's $9 per shell unless you buy it loaded.  I hand load a 2oz 12 ga load for around $6.75 each and a 1 5/8 20 ga for aroun $6.

With the 2.5 oz load and the TSS prices I'm getting from four major sources the shot itself for that shell will be $7.50-$8.44. Another $0.56 for everything else. It's in the $8-$9 range depending on the price your paying for shot. 

Quote from: BottomLand54 on January 26, 2018, 01:18:11 PM

I had $148 in the tools to get started. Another $109 in all the shell components. Not counting the shot itself. The only major recurring cost is the shot itself. Everything else per shell as I mentioned above is cheap.

Quote from: owlhoot on January 26, 2018, 12:53:37 PM
Thanks

Apex, WITHOUT SHIPPING, is $11.70 per shell for the 2.5oz loads. I'm at $8.15 loading my own. You add in shipping on orders less than $200 and that number really jumps up. I haven't priced Nitro but I'm assuming it's same ball park.

100% accurate. Prices have gone up in the last month. When asked why I was told supply and demand from multiple sources.

Gobble!

Quote from: kdsberman on January 26, 2018, 01:51:32 PM
I guess if I did bite the bullet and spend the money on these expensive shells, they would last me a while thanks to Michigan's ridiculous 1-bird limit. 

Ouch. I hate only getting to kill two a year in MD.