OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many are switching to TSS ?

Started by Gamblinman, December 29, 2017, 03:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on January 16, 2018, 01:14:48 PM
Just curious if anyone has shot enough of the TSS to know if it does any damage to chokes and if it damages chokes is it harder on the barrel also?

If loaded properly it never touches the barrel.  The shot stays in the wad until it leaves the barrels, just like any shot that is harder than the barrel metal.  Also, some load recipes call for mylar wraps which is more protection to the barrel.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

mrclif

Quote from: BottomLand54 on January 16, 2018, 02:01:00 PM
That is a good question being a harder an heavier shot is there long term wear and abuse on a the Gun, shooting a 10.00 round in a 800.00-2000.00 setup depending on Gun and setup that is going to eventually destroy the barrel and choke doesn't sound very wise to pay more for a round to tear up your equipment. I would like to hear from guys who have been shooting tss for awhile, guys who have been shooting it out of benelli crio barrels. Also I wander if it's easier on non ported chokes instead of ported chokes. I suppose as more folks buy it and more folks shoot it we will see if there are repercussions for shooting it. I believe it would take allot I mean allot to do any damage and a man who is setting his rig up just to be a turkey rig isn't going to be hammering 1000s of rounds of tss down the barrel each year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gotta Vinci with four or five seasons of TSS and barrel shines like a mirror. Steel shot waterfowlers use would probably come closer to doing damage to barrel than TSS loaded with the correct wad and or mylar.

Dtrkyman

Switched last year...hand loaded my own and enjoy doing it...just another thing to prep for season...20ga performance is amazing with it!

BottomLand54

Quote from: mrclif on January 16, 2018, 03:44:41 PM
Quote from: BottomLand54 on January 16, 2018, 02:01:00 PM
That is a good question being a harder an heavier shot is there long term wear and abuse on a the Gun, shooting a 10.00 round in a 800.00-2000.00 setup depending on Gun and setup that is going to eventually destroy the barrel and choke doesn't sound very wise to pay more for a round to tear up your equipment. I would like to hear from guys who have been shooting tss for awhile, guys who have been shooting it out of benelli crio barrels. Also I wander if it's easier on non ported chokes instead of ported chokes. I suppose as more folks buy it and more folks shoot it we will see if there are repercussions for shooting it. I believe it would take allot I mean allot to do any damage and a man who is setting his rig up just to be a turkey rig isn't going to be hammering 1000s of rounds of tss down the barrel each year.

Gotta Vinci with four or five seasons of TSS and barrel shines like a mirror. Steel shot waterfowlers use would probably come closer to doing damage to barrel than TSS loaded with the correct wad and or mylar.

Thanks man I was wandering I got a brand new benelli sbe ii 25th anniversary I am about to build and shoot apex out of Lord willing.

bbcoach

Nope.  Stocked up on Hevi 7's and have plenty of Longbeards to back those up.  Playing Devil's advocate here, we have killed them for years with lead 4's and Hevi's come along, now Hevi's are out and TSS is the only thing that will kill a bird.  Where does the madness stop?  Just saying?

davisd9

Quote from: bbcoach on January 16, 2018, 05:42:46 PM
Nope.  Stocked up on Hevi 7's and have plenty of Longbeards to back those up.  Playing Devil's advocate here, we have killed them for years with lead 4's and Hevi's come along, now Hevi's are out and TSS is the only thing that will kill a bird.  Where does the madness stop?  Just saying?

Devil's Advocate: who said TSS was the only thing that will kill a bird?

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

USMC0331

Playin Devils advocate part 3,  Indians used bow and arrow, throw the shotgun away.

Happy

They also drove buffalo off cliffs. It wasn't a sport to them. It was survival.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

USMC0331

owlhoot

It would seem that when there are so many pellets in the 10" circles that you no longer have any chance of counting them!

Oh and out to the 20" too!  You know for close up encounters!

buzzardroost

Do you experience any more wasted meat with TSS than other HTL or lead? Thinking they would penetrate breast easier.

fallhnt

Quote from: bbcoach on January 16, 2018, 05:42:46 PM
You just explained it in your post. The evolution of the turkey load.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

BottomLand54

Really we all should try to lasso them and forget about bows, guns, shells, etc. just lasso em take a picture and let em go. Go back the next day and try to lasso them again. I would still go back again and again no matter if my lasso was built out of bailing twine or para cord boy it will still be fun to hear one gobble.

wvmntnhick

Quote from: Gooserbat on January 02, 2018, 11:20:03 PM
If you only knew how many new packaged calls were in my vest... I give out a sample to hunters I meet in the field.
Tell me where u'll b this spring. I'd like to "bump" into u myself. Lol