turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many are switching to TSS ?

Started by Gamblinman, December 29, 2017, 03:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFCSNOW

I started loading it last year. Don't see myself going back to lead or H13.

1iagobblergetter

For me I like trying to call them in close and if I don't they live to be hunted another day. My 12g. Encore with #7 Htl is more than adequate for my hunting style. Actually going to try LB#6s before spring and if they pattern well I'll  make the switch. My son's 20 g. shoots great with H13 #7s and Fed Hvy#7s I bought some tss shot years ago just to see what the hype was about,but haven't done anything with it. It's up to the individual. Chasing numbers and figuring out the magical combo for an awesome pattern is fun,but dead is dead if you do your part in patterning and I like hunting Turkey's not just shooting them. The Turkey's I haven't shot over the years I think is what has kept me most interested all these years.

Dr Juice

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on January 15, 2018, 10:37:46 PM
For me I like trying to call them in close and if I don't they live to be hunted another day. My 12g. Encore with #7 Htl is more than adequate for my hunting style. Actually going to try LB#6s before spring and if they pattern well I'll  make the switch. My son's 20 g. shoots great with H13 #7s and Fed Hvy#7s I bought some tss shot years ago just to see what the hype was about,but haven't done anything with it. It's up to the individual. Chasing numbers and figuring out the magical combo for an awesome pattern is fun,but dead is dead if you do your part in patterning and I like hunting Turkey's not just shooting them. The Turkey's I haven't shot over the years I think is what has kept me most interested all these years.
Concur

davisd9

Calling them close has nothing do with the ammo one shoots, but the self control to not pull the trigger until the appropriate time, lots of hope shots with lead and other types of shot that should have never been taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Tom Foolery

Quote from: davisd9 on January 16, 2018, 08:05:39 AM
Calling them close has nothing do with the ammo one shoots, but the self control to not pull the trigger until the appropriate time, lots of hope shots with lead and other types of shot that should have never been taken.

The absolute truth. 

I've never understood the remark, "well I'm not going to shoot that ammo because I like to call them close."  I guess that helps justify not buying them.

I shoot Hevi7's from my 12's and HW 7's from my 20's.  If I didn't have 20 boxes of HW 7's stored up, you know for long shots, I'd be trying TSS 9's, you know for longer shots.  It would have nothing to do with the fact of I like the extra insurance from heavier shot.  LOL

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Tom Foolery on January 16, 2018, 08:46:40 AM

The absolute truth. 

I've never understood the remark, "well I'm not going to shoot that ammo because I like to call them close."  I guess that helps justify not buying them.

I shoot Hevi7's from my 12's and HW 7's from my 20's.  If I didn't have 20 boxes of HW 7's stored up, you know for long shots, I'd be trying TSS 9's, you know for longer shots.  LOL
That's an easy one. If my gun patterns great out to 40 yards and I don't miss and cripple Turkey's,but shoot them dead why do I need Tss unless I didn't want to call them in close???Now if my gun didnt pattern adequately with other shells and it took tss to acheive killing patterns out to 40yds I'd spend the money on tss.. For guys that think they need to take their heads off or kill them at longer ranges more power to you,buy the Tss...

davisd9

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on January 16, 2018, 09:48:50 AM
Quote from: Tom Foolery on January 16, 2018, 08:46:40 AM

The absolute truth. 

I shoot Hevi7's from my 12's and HW 7's from my 20's.  If I didn't have 20 boxes of HW 7's stored up, you know for long shots, I'd be trying TSS 9's, you know for longer shots.  LOL
That's an easy one. If my gun patterns great out to 40 yards and I don't miss and cripple Turkey's,but shoot them dead why do I need Tss unless I didn't want to call them in close???For guys that think they need to take their heads off and kill them at longer ranges more power to you,buy the Tss...

Why is it bad to plan for the worst situation? Also, if shooting upgraded ammo falls into that then shouldn't shotguns and chokes? Why not just shoot a modified barreled single shot?

"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Tom Foolery

So again, how about the guys that shoot that stuff and do call them in close?  Most of my birds are 20-30yds but I still shoot heavy because it patterns better and penetrates better, extra insurance.

Hunt long enough and weird stuff happens, in my experience less weird stuff happens with better stuff.  I can swing $20-$30 for a box of ammo and not feel bad about it. 

I assume the call them in close guys use an old break down single shot 26" full choke barrel with 2.75" #4's?

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: Tom Foolery on January 16, 2018, 09:55:54 AM
So again, how about the guys that shoot that stuff and do call them in close?  Most of my birds are 20-30yds but I still shoot heavy because it patterns better and penetrates better, extra insurance.

Hunt long enough and weird stuff happens, in my experience less weird stuff happens with better stuff.  I can swing $20-$30 for a box of ammo and not feel bad about it. 

I assume the call them in close guys use an old break down single shot 26" full choke barrel with 2.75" #4's?
I shoot Htl or Fed Hvys. Its overkill in my opinion at times for the way I hunt,but i like the extra insurance..If someone wants to spend money on tss spend the money by all means..I do shoot a T/C Encore I've patterned extensively..Its all opinions and if I thought I needed Tss I'd use Tss. It's turkey hunting..Patterning your gun for whatever shell you want to use is where a guy spends the most at first. Once you get your combo dialed in for me its just one shell here and there afterwords..

Tom Foolery

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on January 16, 2018, 10:19:06 AM
Quote from: Tom Foolery on January 16, 2018, 09:55:54 AM

I shoot Htl or Fed Hvys. Its overkill in my opinion at times for the way I hunt,but i like the extra insurance..If someone wants to spend money on tss spend the money by all means..I do shoot a T/C Encore I've patterned extensively..Its all opinions and if I thought I needed Tss I'd use Tss. It's turkey hunting..Patterning your gun for whatever shell you want to use is where a guy spends the most at first. Once you get your combo dialed in for me its just one shell here and there afterwords..

I feel the same way.  Setup on any firearm is the most expensive and then after that unless you just want to burn rounds it's fairly cheap.  Last season between hunting and checking zero with HW 7's I spent around $25. 

Gobspur

Interesting, but not surprising to see folks on both sides.  I like trying new things, and have the money to dabble.

Question: I get the impression from a couple of posts that folks think the Apex TSS is better than what Federal is coming out with.  Is there a reason for this?  Also, those that have been running TSS, is there a place to look for choke recommendations?

Greg Massey

I guarantee you more birds have been call in close and killed with just about any kind of shotgun shell. You have to remember a lot of these turkey loads weren't even around. So regardless what shell you want to use or shoot , just may sure you have a complete circle or pattern.  Just remember because you have the biggest and latest guns, shells , call's and clothing , doesn't mean a thing if you don't know how to listen and play the game with turkeys ...It's like i own a fine race car but i don't know how to drive it...same with turkey hunting ...don't let shells dictate your ability to kill turkeys ...patience's will always make you a better turkey hunter...learn what those call's will do in your vest, will this call today run him off or will it call him to the barrel..it's doesn't matter if you have 20 calls in your vest or one or six..it's learning what those calls will do with calling turkey's .. Sometime, just try after you hear the bird gobble in a reasonable range sitting down and try calling that bird, don't run thru the woods like a deer that has been shot and missed ...  just opinion...guys...

1iagobblergetter

Just curious if anyone has shot enough of the TSS to know if it does any damage to chokes and if it damages chokes is it harder on the barrel also?

fallhnt

Quote from: 1iagobblergetter on January 16, 2018, 01:14:48 PM
Just curious if anyone has shot enough of the TSS to know if it does any damage to chokes and if it damages chokes is it harder on the barrel also?
I read the Federal release and I think that is a myth or thing of the past. The shot cup carries the load to the end of the barrel. Clark would know. I'm not an expert.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

BottomLand54

That is a good question being a harder an heavier shot is there long term wear and abuse on a the Gun, shooting a 10.00 round in a 800.00-2000.00 setup depending on Gun and setup that is going to eventually destroy the barrel and choke doesn't sound very wise to pay more for a round to tear up your equipment. I would like to hear from guys who have been shooting tss for awhile, guys who have been shooting it out of benelli crio barrels. Also I wander if it's easier on non ported chokes instead of ported chokes. I suppose as more folks buy it and more folks shoot it we will see if there are repercussions for shooting it. I believe it would take allot I mean allot to do any damage and a man who is setting his rig up just to be a turkey rig isn't going to be hammering 1000s of rounds of tss down the barrel each year.