OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many are switching to TSS ?

Started by Gamblinman, December 29, 2017, 03:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tennessee Lead

I switched to Hevi Shot several years ago but went back to Lead when the Longbeards came out.
I'll just stick with those as long as they produce them.
I might try some TSS in the future but I'm very happy with my current setup in my 835.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17hornethunter

I'll be trying apex this year . Expensive yes, but so are a lot of things. If it doesn't work out, back to LB #6s.

Gooserbat

Quote from: 17hornethunter on January 02, 2018, 08:53:09 PM
I'll be trying apex this year . Expensive yes, but so are a lot of things. If it doesn't work out, back to LB #6s.

I'll bet you all the diaphragms in my turkey vest it will work.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Phire Phite

Quote from: Gooserbat on January 02, 2018, 09:59:44 PM
Quote from: 17hornethunter on January 02, 2018, 08:53:09 PM

I'll bet you all the diaphragms in my turkey vest it will work.

Ha, that's a good bet.  I mean, who wants to use someone else's mouth calls? :TooFunny:

Now if we were talking your box and slates...you're on.  But I suspect you're right.

I may give them a shot if I ever get my lil 20 going.

Gooserbat

If you only knew how many new packaged calls were in my vest... I give out a sample to hunters I meet in the field.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

fallhnt

Clark shot the Federal  .410 loads @ 40yrds. and they had great performance. Anybody have an idea of when or where the .410 will be available?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

TauntoHawk

For the 12 im fine with Hevi 6's and Longbeards I hardly carry the 12 anymore anyways

The 20 I've loved the HW7's and will have to buy a bunch, but will give TSS a shot but not federal the 9's aren't legal in all the states I hunt and 7's seem like overkill and reduced pellet count so I will try apex 8's
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

GobbleNut

From my limited experience with TSS, there is no doubt in my mind that it will extend the lethal range for most folks.  Is the added expense worth it?  To me, that depends on the ranges you are willing to shoot.  In my opinion, you cannot have a discussion about extended-range loads without a corresponding discussion about the ethics of long-range shooting, and how the two are tied together.

Here on OG, we have had much discussion about those long-range shooting ethics.  It seems the number that is thrown around the most is 40 yards maximum ethical range.  Although that may be a reasonable standard to adopt as a guideline, there is no doubt in my mind that many on OG that try to stick to that axiom have shot at turkeys beyond that range,...and some pretty regularly. 

Some of us hunt in places and under conditions where the great majority of our shots will be under that 40 yard mark.  Just as certainly, there are those that hunt places where shots at or beyond 40 yards are the norm,...or at least are to be expected.  If someone fits into that category, then by all means use the most effective load you can find for your gun.  If that is TSS (and it probably will be), then pay the extra cost for those shells. 

On the other hand, there are plenty of loads that will kill turkeys cleanly out to that 40 yard mark.  If you hunt where all of your turkey shooting is under forty yards,....and you know your gun and loads will consistently kill gobblers up to that range,...then forget the TSS. 

Finally, when all is said and done, self-awareness and self-discipline are the key elements for all of us as turkey hunters.  Whether we use TSS or the standard, run-of-the-mill, lead turkey loads, each of us has the responsibility to know the limits of our weapons and our abilities.  We owe that to the majestic bird we pursue.   

Gamblinman

Quote from: GobbleNut on January 03, 2018, 04:06:40 PM
On the other hand, there are plenty of loads that will kill turkeys cleanly out to that 40 yard mark.  If you hunt where all of your turkey shooting is under forty yards,....and you know your gun and loads will consistently kill gobblers up to that range,...then forget the TSS. 

I'm more interested in pattern density, and that's where the TSS shines for my use.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

Gobble!

Switched three years ago and have no plans to shoot anything else.

surehuntsalot

will not be switching, you can only kill a bird so dead
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Fl strutter

Switched last year and I'm staying with tss. It's easy to load your own and way cheaper than buying them from any company. And the patterns well they speak for themselves! 12 870 supermag 3.5 inch 2.5 oz 8.5s at 40 yards = 375 in 10 inch and 275 in the 20 inch.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/temzdCOkij3neSmf2

tree-rat sniper

Nope! Lead in the 12 (rarely used) or HW7 in the 20...
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!

USMC0331

I bought a 20 gauge late last year and set it up with tss. Patterns are great and looking forward to seeing how well it does on turkeys. I switched my 12 last week with awesome results. I was not sure if the company's were going to keep making heavyweight so I converted and have everything ready for a outstanding year. I hope you all have a great year regardless of what you use.

BottomLand54

I love to turkey hunt, first and foremost I am a Christian and a Pastor and I work a full time job as well. Turkey hunting is my hobby and yes I do get carried away, I have in my safe magna blends, Winchester supreme super x, long beards, heavy weight 7s, and just ordered some apex. Am I switching to tss probaly yes. Is it to say I put 300-400 on paper no. But to me turkey hunting is 365 I have more clothes, boots, cAlls, Gun's, Ammo, decoys, etc. more then I ever can or will use. I don't get allot of time to hunt but I just enjoy turkey hunting and have probaly in allot of folks eyes wasted allot of money. I don't load my own shells because Time is valuable and I just try to buy a quality load. All my guns will shoot any of the shells good enough to kill a turkey. I killed my first turkey didn't even know what Gun patterning was just grabbed a Remington 11-87 with a xtra full ten choke and some Winchester x number 5s and smoked em lol didn't even know what red dots, patterning, high quality turkey chokes or calls or decoys was and believe it or not I'm only 30 and that was only 4 years ago. I'm hooked and it's my hobby. I deer hunt but turkey hunting is what I enjoy and is in my blood. So now I buy nice chokes, good ammo, clothes, calls, etc.

A turkey call especially and box and put call is like a musical instrument to me I enjoy holding them and playing them just like a man who likes guitars does.

Yes I have ordered some apex is it to kill turkeys at 80 yards no. Most all my turkeys but 1 have been killed within 17 yards.

Apex tss is probaly what I will shoot this year and I have hw7s and others as well. I normally only pull the trigger twice so 2 shells at 10bucks each ain't but 20.00. Then 3 or 4 before season to pattern once I've patterned my Gun a box of shells will last me 5 turkeys.

I probaly have about 7500.00 in each turkey I kill lol but I love it and thank God I can go and enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk