How many are switching to TSS ?

Started by Gamblinman, December 29, 2017, 03:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fallhnt

Now using Federal TSS in my .410

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

bigbird

I considered it but I'm gonna stick to LBXR's. They shoot pretty good out of my SX3 20 gauge and really good out of any of my 12's.

wvmntnhick

Made the switch last year. No intentions of looking back in my primary guns. Not sure what I'll do on the backup end yet tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coonhunter

Now that Fed HW 7 is obsolete in 20 ga I will be switching my sons 870 over to TSS.  As far as my 12 ga I see no reason to switch from long beard XR #6.  Just south of 250 in the 10" at 40.  Kills plenty good for me!

Joshua 24:15

bghunter777

Had no intention of switching to tss for awhile my primary turkey gun is the 12 and I still have several Nitro 3.5 inch blend hevi shot that kick like a mule and cost about 10 dollars a shell I couldn't justify shelfing them in search of new 10 dollar a shell loads. That being said I was blown away with what the Apex 20 gauge loads did out of the 20 gauge has me itching to get through my Nitro Hevi blends and try them in my 12.

Quote from: BottomLand54 on January 16, 2018, 02:01:00 PM
That is a good question being a harder an heavier shot is there long term wear and abuse on a the Gun, shooting a 10.00 round in a 800.00-2000.00 setup depending on Gun and setup that is going to eventually destroy the barrel and choke doesn't sound very wise to pay more for a round to tear up your equipment. I would like to hear from guys who have been shooting tss for awhile, guys who have been shooting it out of benelli crio barrels. Also I wander if it's easier on non ported chokes instead of ported chokes. I suppose as more folks buy it and more folks shoot it we will see if there are repercussions for shooting it. I believe it would take allot I mean allot to do any damage and a man who is setting his rig up just to be a turkey rig isn't going to be hammering 1000s of rounds of tss down the barrel each year.

A friend of mine brought his gun by the shop yesterday. He's a turkey fanatic, loves to pattern guns, scout, etc. Season is over here in MO and he was trying to remove his choke to clean the gun. It was stuck. I got it out without further damage to the gun or tube. But the threads on the tube are distorted. There was no rust or anything else. The barrel threads are a little tight when screwing in the flush mount OEM tubes. He's been shooting tungsten shot. This is a dedicated turkey gun and not used for waterfouling etc. So it seems the unyielding nature of tungsten can iron the barrel/choke threads together with extensive use. He says the choke screwed in fine by hand back in Feb.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: 457121 on May 09, 2018, 09:46:51 AM
Quote from: BottomLand54 on January 16, 2018, 02:01:00 PM
That is a good question being a harder an heavier shot is there long term wear and abuse on a the Gun, shooting a 10.00 round in a 800.00-2000.00 setup depending on Gun and setup that is going to eventually destroy the barrel and choke doesn't sound very wise to pay more for a round to tear up your equipment. I would like to hear from guys who have been shooting tss for awhile, guys who have been shooting it out of benelli crio barrels. Also I wander if it's easier on non ported chokes instead of ported chokes. I suppose as more folks buy it and more folks shoot it we will see if there are repercussions for shooting it. I believe it would take allot I mean allot to do any damage and a man who is setting his rig up just to be a turkey rig isn't going to be hammering 1000s of rounds of tss down the barrel each year.

A friend of mine brought his gun by the shop yesterday. He's a turkey fanatic, loves to pattern guns, scout, etc. Season is over here in MO and he was trying to remove his choke to clean the gun. It was stuck. I got it out without further damage to the gun or tube. But the threads on the tube are distorted. There was no rust or anything else. The barrel threads are a little tight when screwing in the flush mount OEM tubes. He's been shooting tungsten shot. This is a dedicated turkey gun and not used for waterfouling etc. So it seems the unyielding nature of tungsten can iron the barrel/choke threads together with extensive use. He says the choke screwed in fine by hand back in Feb.

Are you sure the choke tube didn't just expand?I had a Brand new tru glo choke that after shooting through it a couple times would barely screw out. Sent it back received a new one and did the same thing again. I wasn't going to try a 3rd time and got my money back. That was shooting a Benelli and Heavy shot 3.5in  loads. I've never had an issue when using higher quality chokes with Heavy shot,but haven't ever tried Tss.

roverboy

I hear about a lot of hunters switching to them. Apparently the price isn't as scary as you would think. I saw a guy at Outdoor Junction in Cookeville buying 4 boxes of Federal TSS Yesterday.
Listen for the gobble

Sasha and Abby

the name of the game is to call them in CLOSE...  if you do this, damn near every factory lead load will kill them at 35-50 yards.  I would NEVER stoop to shooting a bird at 60+ yards, even though I have the tools to do it.  TSS shoots too tight at normal ranges. 

Gobspur

Quote from: Sasha and Abby on May 09, 2018, 08:16:36 PM
the name of the game is to call them in CLOSE...  if you do this, damn near every factory lead load will kill them at 35-50 yards.  I would NEVER stoop to shooting a bird at 60+ yards, even though I have the tools to do it.  TSS shoots too tight at normal ranges.
I agree, except about TSS being too tight at normal ranges.  Its not in my experience.  Longbeards are tighter in close.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

ElkTurkMan

Not me I am sticking with my hevi-13 2oz #6's. 

spaightlabs

i have 10 boxes of Heavy 7s and Mag Blends to go thru first.

Coulda killed this years participants with a dove load.

Tomfoolery

Quote from: Gobspur on May 09, 2018, 08:36:16 PM
Quote from: Sasha and Abby on May 09, 2018, 08:16:36 PM
I agree, except about TSS being too tight at normal ranges.  Its not in my experience.  Longbeards are tighter in close.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
i agree. Longbeard in my gun were like shooting a bullet at 25 yards

jimmy w

land cruiser

I want to switch, but you guys bought up all the ammo.