turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Federal HW 20 ga.

Started by Greg Massey, December 28, 2017, 03:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

If anyone is look for any Federal HW 20 ga. 1 1/2 oz. 7 , Buds Guns has some for 18.90 per box.. from what i understand these shell will be Discontinued because of the New TSS loads....NOW THEY ARE 19.11 BOX

guesswho

I ordered several boxes from BP about Christmas time.  19 something a box and free shipping over $50
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Greg Massey

Quote from: guesswho on December 28, 2017, 04:05:31 PM
I ordered several boxes from BP about Christmas time.  19 something a box and free shipping over $50
I did the same and order several boxes today from Buds, and just 10 dollar shipping insured ...as the cheaper places run out , they are just going to get higher ... Box call sounds great...

marshboy

Greg and Ronnie,
I've shot Hevi Shot for years now.
I'm a little out of the loop concerning the Federal loads. 
Would you guys recommend a different choke for the Federals loads due to the wad, vs Hevi 13s?
Thanks,
Greg

guesswho

The stock choke in my Weatherby SA459 did really well with them.   I put a Sumtoy 5625 in it and it did even a little better.   Both are non-ported, which is important when using the Fed HW's from what I hear.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

marshboy

Thanks Ronnie.
For years I've shot size 7s of Hevi 13s through a factory full choke in my 870.
It shoots a killing pattern, but I'd be up for testing another load at the range.
Are you going to try the Federal TSS loads?
Greg

Greg Massey

Quote from: marshboy on December 29, 2017, 02:00:59 PM
Thanks Ronnie.
It shoots a killing pattern, but I'd be up for testing another load at the range.
Greg
Yes i will try the New load, but my gun is already setup with scope for the Federal HW 7 and i really couldn't ask for it to shoot any better....The choke i'm using is the Trulock 565 non-ported...regardless i don't like a ported choke...

guesswho

Quote from: marshboy on December 29, 2017, 02:00:59 PM
Thanks Ronnie.
Greg
No.  If I have to go the TSS route I'll just get them from a reloading buddy.   But I just bought a bunch of the Fed HW 7's so I should be good for several years.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

marshboy

marshboy

I hear ya Ronnie.
I've got a bunch of Hevi 13 in the safe.
Greg

guesswho

Quote from: marshboy on December 29, 2017, 05:12:45 PM
I hear ya Ronnie.
I've got a bunch of Hevi 13 in the safe.
Greg
I'm glad you mentioned that.  Made me remember I have a pretty good stash of those myself that I had forgotten about.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Gooserbat

Why the fuss.  It's a simple fact that improvments happen.  Tss and it's advantages have passed the Fed HW7 loads. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

guesswho

No fuss.   It just takes me a while to upgrade on anything.  I just recently got a truck with electric Windows and door locks.   Those old cranks were pretty dang dependable.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Greg Massey

Quote from: guesswho on December 30, 2017, 08:57:40 AM
No fuss.   It just takes me a while to upgrade on anything.  I just recently got a truck with electric Windows and door locks.   Those old cranks were pretty dang dependable.
We are too old to fuss...we are just old school....lmbo about just getting elect windows....

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.