OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Poor hunting in South Alabama

Started by J Hook Max, April 15, 2011, 06:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J Hook Max

I have been out of town a lot since turkey season opened and have not been online.The question that I have is to the hunters around South Alabama.Here in Alabama,I called in two toms opening morning and another on March 31rst.The hunting here has been almost pitiful, not only from very little gobbling but also very little sign of turkeys.The population in our area seems down considerably.Most of the hunters that I know in this area have told me the same thing.I know some people think that they are just not gobbling,but I believe that is mostly due to a lack of turkeys and we mostly have old gobblers in the woods.Lucky for me, I have an excellent place to hunt in Middle Tennessee and have spent most of my season there.We have had a lot of success there and appear to have a very healthy population in that area.

4nwtf

This has been one of the worst seasons I have ever had.  I have heard some turkeys and been on a couple but they have been henned up bad or just flat out not talking.  I have set up on fields for hours where I have pictures of turkeys and still nothing.  It is looking like I might get skunked.

R AJ

I know of several in this area who know they have the birds but they are not talking.Yesterday one guy watched a gobbler breed three hens and they should be setting by now. It is a bad year for whatever reason.

I hope the last couple of weeks gets better for me cause the wife has one more than I do so far. This was her first ever and worth the whole season.I am proud for her but starting to feel awfully bad for me.

Cleburne

Not much going on here for me in North Alabama. Very little gobbling and not seeing much either, two years in a row that it has been this way. If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all.

n2deer

Been about the same for me. I have killed four, but only from staying in the woods and bushwacking a few. I know they are there just not talking alot.

Been around 16 mornings in bama and only heard birds about 5. Only 2 days where they gobbled good and off the roost.

R AJ

We had another no gobble,cluck,nuttin morning today in two different good areas.It gets old quick. Crows were not very vocal but song birds were getting after it like crazy.

Fixin to start thinking fishing if this does not stop.

I am supposed to go call for a newbie Thursday on the river area west of Uriah and hope he has some vocal birds. I'm taking my skeeter and bull gnat gun as a backup. :D

J Hook Max

R AJ

Quote from: J Hook Max on April 16, 2011, 05:43:41 PM
RAJ ,
Good luck.By the way, I live in Uriah.

Has anyone mentioned the drought last summer as any cause for alarm?
I may have met you at Heltons in Atmore about three years ago. Does the name Nipper ring a bell?

J Hook Max