turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Evolution of a turkey hunter

Started by time4turks, December 13, 2017, 11:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

time4turks

I am curious as to whether or not others have taken a similar path with their hunting interests. I began my hunting as a teenager chasing ring neck pheasants in the fields and hedgerows of western New York. If there were still wild birds around today that would absolutely be my passion. Alas, as the pheasant population plummeted in the late 70s and through the 80s I turned my attention to deer hunting. I became an avid (some would say obsessive) deer hunter - mostly with a bow – and killed a boatload of deer. Over time, I have grown weary of the over-hyped, over-commercialized deer hunting culture focused on high scoring racks at all costs. Combine that with the fact that I am finishing up my 6th decade occupying space on the planet, have bone-on-bone osteoarthritis in my bow arm, and frankly I am less inclined to want to drag, carry, or cart even medium sized deer out of the woods, and I am contemplating a serous retooling of my hunting interests.

I have killed a couple of turkeys over the years (dumb luck mostly) but I am thinking that I really want to concentrate on chasing turks (both fall and spring) for as long as I am able to wander the hills. I love the spring woods, and I obviously enjoy the fall woods as well. I've been reading more and more here and on other forums about the intricacies of chasing turkeys, and I think I am ready to commit to becoming a more serious student of the sport. I have a sweet 11/87 premier given to me by my father that has been collecting dust. I'm actually a little excited about this change of focus, to the extent that I'm already planning a trip to David Halloran's to talk calls, and putting together a couple of spring trips to chase birds.

Has anyone else "evolved" into (primarily) a turkey hunter? Have you gone through a similar progression? Are you happy with the result? Just curious.

rbreedi1

I started out hunting small game, then moved to deer, then someone took me turkey hunting and I don't really care about deer anymore. I much prefer turkey hunting!  More interaction, ability to move around, they cannot smell you, they move around pretty much all day and sleep at night, less work when you kill one, warmer in the spring.. I could go on and on lol
Thunder Ridge Totes

guesswho

I think I was pretty much born a turkey hunter.  Started in the 60's.  I used to like to deer hunt, wing shoot, small game etc.  But all of that has always been a distant 2nd. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Uncle Nicky

I started out hunting small game as a kid (no deer or turkeys around here back then). I mostly concentrated on deer until about 20 years ago, when I bought a deer camp that had turkeys. I decided to learn how to hunt them, which eventually morphed into the passion I have today, hunting multiple states each spring & fall, training a turkey dog, and completing a Grand Slam. Turkeys are mostly what I focus on now, but I still occasionally kill deer, squirrels, and go ocean fishing.

maytom

My two favorite pursuits now at 63, are Spring turkey hunting and fall bow hunting for deer.

dejake

Time4turks, my path is pretty much like yours.  I started out grouse hunting.  That population has seriously declined.  Then I got into bowhunting deer.  I've reached the point that I'm not going to mount any more, so I don't even buy buck tags.  I'm 60, and started getting serious about turkey five years ago.  Nothing is more fun to me.  And, like stated earlier, they're a heck of a lot easier to get out of the woods.  My quest is for a US Royal Slam.  hopefully, I can keep doing this for years to come.

bobk

I started out as a kid chasing grouse,ducks and trout. Today at 61 spring turkey and bow hunting for deer , bear and fly fishing  are my interests . Spring gobbler is my true passion.

Bowguy

In the spring I'm all turkey hunter while the fall has me divided. So many things to do. From bowhunting deer, I do agree w all you said about it but I still love it, wing shooting upland birds over pointing dogs, waterfowling, running hounds, trapping, muzzleloading, rifle seasons, ugh, I could keep going.
Around here fall turkey is so short I just do very little. Not saying never but I go n do what I feel like doing that day.
Years ago I used to do taxidermy full time and I was home every day. It was easier to juggle interests than.

oldturk

Happy

I started out with a .410 chasing squirrels. Moved up to a 20 guage and then started deer hunting. I usually was on my own but occasionally got to tag along with some adults. I was always infatuated with turkeys and was "hunting" them in the spring before school and on saturdays. Problem was that there were no turkeys in that area. Didn't pull the trigger on a tom till the tender age of 21. I still hunt deer but the thrill isn't the same. Haven't lost an ounce of my passion for turkeys though and don't think I ever will.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

GobbleNut

Having hunted a wide array of big game, small game, and game birds for a bit over five decades,...and having many hunting friends that have done the same,...I think I can safely say that spring (and for some,...fall) gobbler hunting holds a fascination for a lot of us like no other type of hunting.  I think it is a combination of the breeding ritual of the wild turkey itself combined with the "ritual" we turkey hunters have of learning, and then applying, all of the intricacies of calling, hunting strategy, and woodsmanship required to be consistently successful. 

Over time, we develop a respect for a bird that will often manage to survive our best efforts as hunters even while being perfectly willing to announce right where he is at just about every morning, and often during the day.

Some of my hunting acquaintances have declined to get into spring gobbler hunting over the years.  They wonder why, with all of the more "glamorous" species available, we bother chasing gobblers.  I always tell them,..."if you ever start hunting spring gobblers, you will understand why,...and if you do, you will kick yourself in the rear end for not starting to hunt them sooner". 

I suspect that you, too, will ultimately end up feeling that way. 

Jay

I started out as a youngster hunting Rabbits, and squirrels with a 22. There were no Turkeys in Minnesota, but a move to Iowa opened up Turkey, Pheasant, Quail, Goose, and Duck hunting. Once my GSP passed, and a decline in upland game, switched mostly to Turkey Hunting. I labeled myself a Bird Hunter, and never got into Deer Hunting. My boys always furnished my Venison. Now I don't hunt because all my joints are destroyed.

time4turks

Interesting replies. A lot of different paths. It is ironic that a couple of you have included fly fishing as a passion that compliments your hunting interests. I picked up a fly rod 20 years ago and have enjoyed every minute of that as well. A lot of individual stories, but a lot of common threads....

LaLongbeard

I have up until this season been ossessed with bow hunting deer with longbows and recurves. I have been focusing more on Turkeys every year to the point now I have lost interest in bows/deer and will be Turkeys only from now on. The way I work instead of splitting my time off between deer season and Turkey season now I will work in the fall and winter and take off 3 months for turkey season to hunt multiple states.It was an easy decision deer for Turkeys.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Coop1082

I'm younger, 27 to be exact, but started off my hunting career as a bow hunter and also shot 3D archery religiously. Bow hunting and fall time was all I cared about as far as hunting went.  Spring time meant baseball for the majority of my "youth" and spring turkey season was just an occasional weekend if I was free thing. When baseball ended for me at the age of 20 (tore my knee to pieces) I dove off hard into turkey hunting and have been 100% hooked ever since. Funny part is my father is as avid as they come as far as turkey hunting is concerned. He competed in local calling competitions and was/is completely wrapped up in it. It took me a while to appreciate the hunting of this bird and to understand why he was so enthralled by it. Nowadays I still love a good 3D archery shoot and bow hunting will always be a major part of my life but I'd be lying if I didn't say fall deer season is just a way to pass the time until March 15 rolls around in South AL. I live for every day and moment spent in the turkey woods and it's also brought myself and my father as close as we've ever been. Walking in together only to split up to separate tree stands and occasionally helping drag one or the others kill out is one thing, but spending the whole morning side by side, working a bird, and living in the totality of the moment of harvesting a bird 100% together through the entirety of the hunt is indescribable! I hope to share the exact same moments with my son and daughter in the future.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]