OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Va Bird #2 with 20 gauge

Started by econo, April 15, 2011, 04:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

econo

Well I finally was able to get back to the woods today. Had time for a quick hunt before work. Hit a place in Amherst county, where I took a bird last year. Got to my listening spot early and waited till Gobble time. Nothing- never herd a turkey! At 7:15 I decided to climb a steep ridge and get on top and do a little calling. My 1st calls were answered by a gobble about 200 yards out. I moved in to about 100yards and checked him again- he gobbled just below me. I set up in a not so good spot, but I was afraid to risk moving any closer. I called and he gobbled and cut the distance to about 75 yards. Then he went silent for about 5 minutes then I spot him about 40 yards below me strutting. He strutted and gobbled for about 25 minutes, but would not come any closer. The area was thick, and finally he hit a little opening at 43 yards and I sent him a load of hevi-13 # 7 shot through my new mossy 20 gauge. Dead Bird. One of my best ever birds. I was hoping I could take one with my 20 gauge this year and it all came together this morning! Been a good year so far- 3 hunts and 2 Gobblers
22 pounds
11" beard Thick!!
1 1/8" spur and 1 1/4" spur

May God bless you all

slawman

Ol'Mossy

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

turkey slayer

harvester

gatrapper

"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

JVA54

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

cannonball

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

socalturkeyman

A shot not taken,is a shot missed!
Juan Galindo-Last Light Taxidermy

bowhunter84

njdevilsb

Real nice bird.  I love how you captured the pink/purple colors in those feathers.  Congrats.

moonman

Keep your nose in the wind,your eyes on the skyline.