OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Kansas Question

Started by campcreekfarm, April 15, 2011, 03:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

campcreekfarm

Quote from: coflax on April 15, 2011, 09:19:10 PM
I apologize if I had offended anyone. I have misdirected some of my disgust towards the non-resident hunter, where really my disgust lies with the state of Kansas. IMO the state has not properly taken care of its resident hunters. We have given non-residents the buffet for the price of a french fry. The resident contributes the lions share of the revenue used to fund the KDWP. More and more I see non-resident hunters taking advantage of very minimal license fees to hunt the ground that the has been maintianed or leased mostly by the residents money. Not to mention the infrastructure that allows the  non-resident to get to his destination, or the cop that is keeping them safe, or the ambulance that is at their service.
http://kdwp.state.ks.us/news/KDWP-Info/About-KDWP/Agency-Statistics/Department-Income-Expenditures

I dont see how it is figured that residents contribute a "lions share" thru that pie chart?  Not saying they dont but it cant be derived from that chart.  Sounds as if you just wished that KS was a sovereign country?

coflax

figures are out dated but it is the latest they have posted/
less then a third of the hunt/fish licenses are purchased by non-residents/
the general fund comes right from the residents/
as of 2003 around 100,000 boats are registers by residents(that money goes to the KDWP),
when you get the figures all added up from their 2003  numbers and omitting the revenue allocated through federal excise tax the resident contributes  3/4 of the revenue used to run KDWP/ i would say that is the lions share!
I don't want to forget the money contributed by the Kansas chapters of Pheasants forever and NWTF that goes to the state for conservation and for the WIHA. If I am not mistaken I think the NWTF has contributed close to a quarter million to date for conservation. Some of that money has gone to restore habitat and overall turkey numbers. I have never met any non-residents at those banquets.
I don't wish for Kansas to be a it's own country but I do favor more power to the state government and less big government. I support the Kansas resident first and foremost over any other.

simpzenith

I was in Kansas this past weekend and when I returned to my truck, I found this note on my window and a pile of resident poop on the ground in front of my truck. At least they signed their names!  ;D

LX_Trkyhntr

Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

LX_Trkyhntr

Quote from: ksgobbler on April 19, 2011, 03:23:21 PM
To quote one of my buddies on the current plight of Kansas hunters "I now understand how the indians felt when we started invading their land"

You can come to Arkansas during duck season and see plenty of KS plates :begging:, KS hunters like to enjoy some different places to hunt too!
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff

simpzenith

Quote from: ksgobbler on April 19, 2011, 03:23:21 PM
To quote one of my buddies on the current plight of Kansas hunters "I now understand how the indians felt when we started invading their land"

Maybe they should have charged us non-resident fees!

n2deer

Quote from: coflax on April 15, 2011, 05:18:41 PM
I take it you will be mooching off our public ground. Hope the residents have a bird or two to kill when you are done. Why don't you go through an outfitter and leave the public ground alone?

Wow

Cove

You guys are ridiculous. . . . grow up. Non residents should have very little to no impact on your success. By living so close, you should know the land as well as the birds much better than non residents will ever be able to. Therefore, you should be out of our way after the first weekend, if you're not, it's your own fault- move over.  :TooFunny:

Plus, you're allowed 2 birds- the last I saw of KS (last week of the season 2010) you had more than enough to go around. Just be thankful you are fortunate enough to have bird numbers that are so attractive to people living (in my case 20+ hours away) just outside your back door. And if non res still irritates you, spread the love. . . . highways go in and OUT of KS.  :z-guntootsmiley:

mudhen

I call pure BS.

It's a big state.  Sure, some NR's and oilworkers crowd a few favored areas, but if one gets up off their phat arses, there are 1000's of toms just waiting to be killed in Kansas.  East & SE might be having a tough time right now, but you can always go west for Rios & hybrids in huge #'s.

It's called WALK-IN for a reason  ;D

Laws are laws.  You have three options; live with the laws, work to change the laws, or move.  Period  ;)

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

LX_Trkyhntr

Quote from: ksgobbler on April 20, 2011, 03:24:27 PM
Dont worry, we are working to change laws. NR deer permit may cost $800 this year.

That's not true, they have already listed the price for this year. "Nonresident either-sex deer permits allow the taking of one white-tailed deer buck, doe, or fawn. The cost of the permit is $322.50, " that's right from the KDWP website.

This whole thread is a JOKE!  Just so you know I am leaving for KS tomorrow morning!! :you_rock: :you_rock: :you_rock:  I will be hunting both private and public land!!

EasyE

When a Non-Resident hunter makes a comment that they'd like to share in the Kansas resident's resources and there is plenty of land to hunt, all I have to do is hop into my truck and take a little drive around the country.  Places I used to hunt – private and former WIHA, are now locked up by an outfitter or a Non-resident hunter.  To put it bluntly – they never "share", ever.   Then there are places that I used to hunt that the landowner has shut off all hunting because someone trashed a fence or sprayed the farmhouse with some buckshot.  Either way, now there is less land to hunt and more and more people hunting it.  To make things even more interesting, now we have to deal with "experts" who have a pro-staff decal on their truck and are promoting something (insert guide service / custom calls / decoys / outdoor miracle product).   They've got their video cameras and are trying to get footage of how great their product is so they can put a video clip on their web site or worse – produce some cheesy DVD that will retail originally for $14.99 but will eventually be available in the Bargain Cave for $3.99.  You know who you are.

I haven't been here on this board very long, but one thing I picked up on real quick was that it is really hard to sift through some of the threads because of all the ad's piggy- backed on the bottom of some of your individual posts.  If you stand to make financial gains by exploiting the natural resources of Kansas at the expense of the regular working stiff, I will most likely disregard your opinions as they are likely influenced by a profit motive.  There is something else this Kansas resident can do – never buy one of your products.     

stinkpickle

Ya might as well...Iowa and Illinois ain't far from it, I hear.   :D

LX_Trkyhntr

You are still getting NO sympathy from me.  There is land to be hunted on in Kansas private and public, all you have to do is some research and you can be in the game.  

I don't know anyone else, but I haven't made a penny hunting in KS, although I have spent a lot.  I do get to bring home some great memories, and some great tasting deer, turkey, and pheasant meat! :you_rock:  I love hunting in Kansas!! :z-guntootsmiley:  It seems to be a target rich environment!

Struttin Spurs

Quote from: EasyE on April 20, 2011, 04:03:42 PM
When a Non-Resident hunter makes a comment that they'd like to share in the Kansas resident's resources and there is plenty of land to hunt, all I have to do is hop into my truck and take a little drive around the country.  Places I used to hunt – private and former WIHA, are now locked up by an outfitter or a Non-resident hunter.  To put it bluntly – they never "share", ever.   Then there are places that I used to hunt that the landowner has shut off all hunting because someone trashed a fence or sprayed the farmhouse with some buckshot.  Either way, now there is less land to hunt and more and more people hunting it. 

Its like this everywhere....not just Kansas. 15 years ago it was Missouri that was getting pounded by NR hunters. I have lost lots of properties due to hunting clubs, leases, other hunters ect. here in Missouri. Its just something we have to deal with with a growing hunter population. However, I would never tell someone I dont want them to come enjoy Missouri or that I have more right than anyone else to enjoy it. In my opinion just because they dont live here doesnt mean they have less right to hunt. Someday I would like to hunt elk, and I would hate to be told I cant because I'm not a resident of Colorado or some other state.

EasyE

LX -  I do not desire any sympathy.  I am simply detailing the changes that have and are occurring in Kansas.  Don't be surprised on one of your future trips if Kansas is not the "target rich environment" you remembered it being nor as affordable as it is now.  Take some time to look at the changes that have occurred in New Mexico regarding the protection of the resident hunter's opportunities.    It is possible similar changes may one day occur in Kansas. 
One last point to ponder, is there not any public or private land in your state where you could hunt turkey or deer?   I'm sure "all you have to do is some research and you can be in the game".