News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Kansas Question

Started by campcreekfarm, April 15, 2011, 03:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cuttinAR

Quote from: EasyE on April 20, 2011, 05:15:42 PM
LX -  I do not desire any sympathy.  I am simply detailing the changes that have and are occurring in Kansas.  Don't be surprised on one of your future trips if Kansas is not the "target rich environment" you remembered it being nor as affordable as it is now.  Take some time to look at the changes that have occurred in New Mexico regarding the protection of the resident hunter's opportunities.    It is possible similar changes may one day occur in Kansas.  
One last point to ponder, is there not any public or private land in your state where you could hunt turkey or deer?   I'm sure "all you have to do is some research and you can be in the game".    

I hunt public and private land here in AR for deer, turkey, ducks, etc.  Doesn't make a hill of beans to me where, I just like to be out there and I do my fair share of killing on both.  I like to turkey hunt here in AR and then go to KS each year.  I have met some landowners there who are know my friends and do not ask for anything in return for permission to hunt their land other than respect property lines and don't trash it.  I abide by all.

I do have some sympathy for you in that I've seen a dramatic rise in hunters in the 10 yrs I have been going to KS and many lands are now posted.  If I was looking for a place to just go and find somewhere to hunt, KS would not be that place anymore.  I've heard of more road shooting there from non-residents and residents alike.  KDWP would be wise to crackdown on that and it would keep alot of people away that just go to poach.

My sympathy comes from the fact that I exclusively hunt public flooded timber for ducks.  Just so happens to be the most popular place in the world for it, Bayou Meto WMA.  I have never, ever treated a non-resident with any disrespect because he is not an Arkansan.  I can assure you, there are much worse things that happen there from non-residents not knowing what they are doing that turkey hunters in KS.  I'd bet the house on it.  The difference is, I offer a hand to those people who are spending their hard earned dollars to share in my states resources.  I want them to go home with a great experience and memories of fine hunting.  I felt so bad for some guys who drove all the way from Maryland to hunt with a beatup old skiff for a boat, that I took them three consecutive days to my favorite hole.  They had the time of their life.  

I'll be there this year, and the next, and the next lord willing.  Maybe I'll see you at the duck hole.

fallhnt

I agree with cuttinAR.I have lost permission in Iowa,MO. and my home state of IL. and hunt public land.I help non-res.hunters with insight on my favorite public spot in IL. every year.I would never put a note on a truck or slash tires.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Jay

Out of state hunters in any state is something you either live with or quit hunting. In Iowa we jacked the prices of tags for Turkeys to the point we don't get many out of state hunters here any more. We just don't have the amount of hunting land to accomadate more than the locals. Our problem deals with the amount of land being leased for Deer hunting by out of state hunters, which leaves it unused during Turkey season.
I parked in front of Shane on our Kansas hunt, and my SUV was so covered in dirt and mud, that they cleaned off my plate to see what state I was from.  ;D Evidently being from Iowa was okay, because they didn't leave me a nasty note. They probably Deer hunt Iowa like many. I've never had a problem in Kansas, and one of my friends lives where we hunt, but the seeing the displeasure of the Kansas hunters on here, maybe I'll end up with an issue in the future. I'll be hunting up there again in a week, and plan on it every year. Iowa and Kansas are my 2 favorite Turkey spots.

LX_Trkyhntr

Quote from: EasyE on April 20, 2011, 05:15:42 PM
One last point to ponder, is there not any public or private land in your state where you could hunt turkey or deer?   I'm sure "all you have to do is some research and you can be in the game".   

I definitely do deer and turkey hunt here in Arkansas, but I also like to deer and turkey hunt other places too.  Kansas is not the only state I have bought non-resident tags in this spring.  I will hunt in as many states as I have the funds to hunt.  There is nothing like a good road trip and shooting some turkeys!!  You should try it sometime.

I sure am glad the residents out where I hunt in KS are kind and nice to deal with!  I look forward to going back every year.
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

Basin_hunter

I just got back from North East Kansas. There are plenty of birds up there, Hybrids and easterns. The people up there were very friendly and considered turkeys a nuisance bird ???? I don't see how you can possibly have too many turkeys. It was a very good experience. Worth the 900 mile drive one way, and the NR hunting license cost of 127.50. I hunted on private cattle farms. 
In fall we rut, in spring we strut

stinkpickle

Quote from: Jay on April 20, 2011, 08:39:38 PM
...my SUV was so covered in dirt and mud, that they cleaned off my plate to see what state I was from.  ;D Evidently being from Iowa was okay, because they didn't leave me a nasty note. ...

When I went to north-central KS last year to the hunt the last weekend in May, I only saw one other vehicle on the dirt roads I drove on.   ONE VEHICLE!!!  It was crazy! 

sself

Quote from: Jay on April 20, 2011, 08:39:38 PM
Out of state hunters in any state is something you either live with or quit hunting. In Iowa we jacked the prices of tags for Turkeys to the point we don't get many out of state hunters here any more. We just don't have the amount of hunting land to accomadate more than the locals. Our problem deals with the amount of land being leased for Deer hunting by out of state hunters, which leaves it unused during Turkey season.
I parked in front of Shane on our Kansas hunt, and my SUV was so covered in dirt and mud, that they cleaned off my plate to see what state I was from.  ;D Evidently being from Iowa was okay, because they didn't leave me a nasty note. They probably Deer hunt Iowa like many. I've never had a problem in Kansas, and one of my friends lives where we hunt, but the seeing the displeasure of the Kansas hunters on here, maybe I'll end up with an issue in the future. I'll be hunting up there again in a week, and plan on it every year. Iowa and Kansas are my 2 favorite Turkey spots.

What public area did you guys get the note in?

I don't know how you guys are finding all of these land owners that allow you to hunt. In my experience, any private land worth hunting within 150 miles of KC is either leased up by a rich texan or the farmer wants a little kick back. This leaves me, as a resident, to be stuck with the public land.

stinkpickle

Quote from: ksgobbler on April 20, 2011, 09:54:12 PM
...but now I hope you get killed in a car crash on your travels.

Dude...

Preacher

we dont need that on this board totally uncalled for.  you should be ashamed ks gobbler.
Romans 8:37

catdaddy

Quote from: ksgobbler on April 20, 2011, 09:54:12 PM
Quote from: LX_Trkyhntr on April 20, 2011, 04:00:01 PM
Quote from: ksgobbler on April 20, 2011, 03:24:27 PM
Dont worry, we are working to change laws. NR deer permit may cost $800 this year.

That's not true, they have already listed the price for this year. "Nonresident either-sex deer permits allow the taking of one white-tailed deer buck, doe, or fawn. The cost of the permit is $322.50, " that's right from the KDWP website.

This whole thread is a JOKE!  Just so you know I am leaving for KS tomorrow morning!! :you_rock: :you_rock: :you_rock:  I will be hunting both private and public land!!
HB2295 -- this bill would amend K.S.A. 2010 Supp. 32-919, 32-932, 32-937, 32-980, and 32-988 and repealing the existing sections to exempt a landowner's immediate family members from hunting license requirements while hunting on that landowner's land (current law exempts family members domiciled with the landowner); would remove the current disability exemption that allows the use of a crossbow during the archery season to allow anyone to use crossbows during the archery season; would extend the "extended season for female white-tailed deer hunting with the use of firearms through January 23, 2012"; amends the formula used to establish nonresident deer permit quotas so that the percent increase in permit numbers by unit required the first year (2008) the formula was used to be adhered to every year; would allow a landowner's immediate family members to purchase hunt-own-land permits whether or not they were domiciled with the landowner (currently the landowner's immediate family domiciled with the landowner may purchase hunt-own-land permits and a landowner's siblings and lineal descendants and ascendants and their spouses may purchase special hunt-own-land permits regardless of residency); would establish a mandatory contribution of at least $2 to activities of Kansas hunters feeding the hungry, Inc. (current law allows a voluntary contribution); and raises the maximum price that could be charged for nonresident big game permits to $800, $300 for nonresident mule deer stamp, and $50 for an application fee. Bill was referred to the Committee on Natural Resources

I was on your side, but now I hope you get killed in a car crash on your travels.

Hey you----I read your post a couple of times to make sure I wasn't missing something. If I understand correctly, you have just wished that Stephan would get killed in a car crash on his way to
Kansas. OH--the relative safety of making such statements on the internet. Had this been said in a more personal environment--my response would not be as verbal as this one. I say your two options are to apologize or get gone.  

Jay

Quote from: Preacher on April 20, 2011, 10:10:02 PM
we dont need that on this board totally uncalled for.  you should be ashamed ks gobbler.
Amen brother. No reason in a discussion like this to make that statement.

Old Gobbler

ksgobbler ....  farewell ......
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Flydown

blueribbon

:z-winnersmiley: :z-winnersmiley:  THanks Shannon I can't believe that it went that far. That was completly uncalled for. I am right with you Catdaddy!!!

I know how much the non resisdent thing can put a bind in your hunting I mean I live in Iowa where we have guys from at least 21 states who own ground in my county alone. But like Jay said you either learn to deal with it or you stop hunting.

LX_Trkyhntr

ksgobbler, I hope you have a great season and are able to fill your tags.  I am not concerned about your post, it will not change the outcome of my future.  If tomorrow were my day to meet the Lord, it would be because it is his will and not yours. 

Thanks to OG for banning people that post stuff like this, there is no place for stuff like that.  OG is the best run site on the net!!
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i