OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Kansas Question

Started by campcreekfarm, April 15, 2011, 03:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

campcreekfarm

The Mrs. and myself are going to make a trip to KS to try out the turkey hunting.  Not wanting anyone's honeyholes, but what area of the state would yall recommend. 

LX_Trkyhntr

I find the part inbetween Missouri and Colorado to be the best, the part between Oklahoma and Nebraska can be kind of tough. :TooFunny:

J/K

Get a KS Spring Turkey Hunting Atlas, it will detail out all of the public land.  It can be good just about anywhere.  If you are wanting a Rio, I would focus north central and west.
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff
[IMG]http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af259/OpenSeason1/oltom-logo.png[/i

coflax

I take it you will be mooching off our public ground. Hope the residents have a bird or two to kill when you are done. Why don't you go through an outfitter and leave the public ground alone?

campcreekfarm

Quote from: coflax on April 15, 2011, 05:18:41 PM
I take it you will be mooching off our public ground. Hope the residents have a bird or two to kill when you are done. Why don't you go through an outfitter and leave the public ground alone?

We dont do the outfitter thing especially with gas prices as high as they are now.  I think we will leave a couple for the residents :icon_thumright:

LX_Trkyhntr

What the heck do you mean "mooching" off "your" public ground?  Doesn't public include those from other states?  How is a nonresident "mooching" any more than you are?  You don't own the ground any more than a nonresident does.  I guess those residents that want to kill a bird or two better get out there and hunt before the nonresidents wipe out the population.

We (nonresidents) pay taxes and buy license in your state just like you do, for that matter we pay WAY more for license than you do.  It's a shame when people are so selfish with something they don't even own.
Hook's Custom Call Prostaff, Ol'Tom's Elite Team, Vaportrail Archery Prostaff, KTECH Design Prostaff

Ruger M77

Wow! Realy?
I eat therefore I hunt

LX_Trkyhntr

I understand that residents pay WAY more in taxes to the state than nonresidents do, but nonresidents do bring in extra $ to the local economy where they are hunting.  I know that in the areas where I hunt pheasant, deer, and turkey most of the trucks in the motels are from out of state.  Those business owners are sure glad to have the nonresident $ coming in, and so are all of the businesses that they support with those $ they made.

I wasn't saying that because we pay a little tax $ that is supposed to be some strong argument, but it is part of the equation.

When it comes to people damaging personal property, that is just wrong!  Those who do stuff like that need to be punished.  If those resident hunters are so hard up to kill something, and think that all the game has been taken off of the public land they need to get off the couch and get out and get permission on some private land.
It can be done I know because I have permission to hunt on several farms in KS.  All I had to do was knock on some doors and ask nicely.

Or I guess those residents could be the ones to hire some outfitters.

Struttin Spurs

A little over the top.

SinGin

That's just sad. If you want a Rio hunt around Salina.

fallhnt

Coflax is the same person that was crying like a baby when I shot my bird on a WIHA during archery season.Your not going to make everybody happy but it is nice that the land owners in KS. enroll the land for res. and non-res. alike to enjoy and hunt.I was also sad to see one of my favorite WIHA was sold and now can't be hunted by anybody.That said,I would look in the N.central area for a 2 bird limit and lots of birds.While I'm on my soap box,"If you don't have anything nice to say, shut up!"
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

coflax

I apologize if I had offended anyone. I have misdirected some of my disgust towards the non-resident hunter, where really my disgust lies with the state of Kansas. IMO the state has not properly taken care of its resident hunters. We have given non-residents the buffet for the price of a french fry. The resident contributes the lions share of the revenue used to fund the KDWP. More and more I see non-resident hunters taking advantage of very minimal license fees to hunt the ground that the has been maintianed or leased mostly by the residents money. Not to mention the infrastructure that allows the  non-resident to get to his destination, or the cop that is keeping them safe, or the ambulance that is at their service.
http://kdwp.state.ks.us/news/KDWP-Info/About-KDWP/Agency-Statistics/Department-Income-Expenditures

coflax

When I was younger I would ask somebody I had never met before to hunt their ground. I would do anything to get that Turkey or Deer. Sure, I hunt some family ground annually for pheasants and such, and if invited I will hunt a friend or acquaintances ground. Yes, and I do lease some goose ground.  The older I got though, the more it just doesn't sit right asking folks to hunt their ground. I would rather hunt public. I would never go into another state and hunt their state owned public ground. I feel that is for their state's residents to enjoy.

LX_Trkyhntr

Quote from: coflax on April 15, 2011, 09:27:20 PM
When I was younger I would ask somebody I had never met before to hunt their ground. I would do anything to get that Turkey or Deer. Sure, I hunt some family ground annually for pheasants and such, and if invited I will hunt a friend or acquaintances ground. Yes, and I do lease some goose ground.  The older I got though, the more it just doesn't sit right asking folks to hunt their ground. I would rather hunt public. I would never go into another state and hunt their state owned public ground. I feel that is for their state's residents to enjoy.

I do not understand why you would ask for permission to hunt in the past, but now don't.  If you choose to be a public land hunter then you already know that nonresident hunters are part of the equation, if you don't like it go back to hunting private land.

Why would you feel bad about hunting out of state?  Not every state can offer every type of game, you think that since KS doesn't have black bears that hunters from Kansas shouldn't hunt bear if they want to?  That makes no sense to me.  This is the land of the free, free to roam every state, not just the one you live in.

Jayhawkeye

things have change for the worse here in Kansas.  the state is way too pro-outfitter!!!  it all basically comes down to money!!!  plus, a lot of non-residents are "paying" their way into 'leases.  lease prices have gotten out of control.  i've heard way too many stories of non-resident hunter trespassing during deer and turkey season. 

my buddy called the sheriff on two gentleman from Alabama he caught trespassing on his property last weekend.  they told him they had permission and were filming for a TV show.  WRONG!  they kept boosting about the footage of the 3 birds they just killed illegally.  the sheriff arrested both of them and took the video for evidence.  lol! 

IMO the public land in Kansas is over-hunted; however, they are still plenty of birds.  Kansas' popularity as as a hunting destination is hopefully at its peak.  it seems like every time i turn on a hunting show someone is hunting in Kansas.  you got give props to the KDWP for their marketing!  we just don't have enough public land to accommodate all of its hunters during deer season.  although, i would avoid all the public ground on the weekend during turkey season.  unless, you know the area extremely well.  there's just too many running and gunning jockeys out there without any respect for other hunters. 

i still encourage EVERYONE to come and enjoy our beautiful state, but please be responsible and respectful sportsman while you are a guest of your wonderful state...  however, hunt at your own risk if you are from Missouri!!!  lmao.  Go Jayhawks!!!
Rock Chalk Jayhawks!!!  Gobble, Gobble, Gobble...  Go KU!!!

TauntoHawk

I really cant wrap my head around people who complain about living in one of the best states for deer and turkey simply because others would like to Pay to share the wonderful hunting that is offered.

move to a state where the residents dont even want to hunt there because the hunting is so poor, wont have to worry about non residents then.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>