turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Public education Let DOWN

Started by HogBiologist, April 15, 2011, 02:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HogBiologist

I picked my Pre-K daughter up today from school. She was telling me about her day on the playground with her friends. Then I heard something that made me cringe. She said "my friend AXED me a question". I thought Oh Crap. I spent the trip home explaining how you A-S-K a question. And an A-X is used to cut down a tree. I spelled it out, used phonetics, even showed her an AX when we got home. This is a serious let down. How are our kids supposed to learn english, when they dont hear proper english from the teachers (actually the TA's)?
Certified Wildlife Biologist

turkey slayer

She's only in pre-k I wouldn't worry too much about it, Ifs I's hads to guesses she heard ANOTHER kid say it like that, thats SOME kids say it. ;D Don't worry there's alot of good teachers out there,one of which is my wife who teaches 2nd grade, once again she's only in pre k. When I was little I called mc donalds .....stick donalds.........

I did edit this because some people thought i was being racist????  Seriously, though what I said is true....everyone knows it. I didn't think making a true statement was such a horrible thing to do...................  :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

new2turkey

Quote from: turkey slayer on April 15, 2011, 02:38:23 PM
She's only in pre-k I wouldn't worry too much about it, Ifs I's hads to guesses she heard a black kid say it like that, thats how most blacks say it. ;D Don't worry there's alot of good teachers out there,one of which is my wife who teaches 2nd grade, once again she's only in pre k. When I was little I called mc donalds .....stick donalds.

x2... She's young, she'll grow out of it. I don't think the teacher is telling her to say "Axe" over ask.

redarrow

Try figuring out a teens text message. It's scary.

gatrapper

You should hear some of the girls in my college classes.

"Ok profezzor _____, I ax my uncle and he said dat if you do dis den dat will happun cuz yada yada yada."

Btw I am majoring in education and these girls will be future educators.  Its awful  :o :o :o
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

Struttin Spurs

Hahah yup. Some educators are terrible. So when your child gets a good one, make sure you thank them and show your appreciation for that teacher. Teaching is no cake walk. One of the most underpaid professions in my opinion.

PANYHunter

Quote from: Struttin Spurs on April 15, 2011, 11:16:56 PM
Hahah yup. Some educators are terrible. So when your child gets a good one, make sure you thank them and show your appreciation for that teacher. Teaching is no cake walk. One of the most underpaid professions in my opinion.

I have to agree with this mostly because my wife is a teacher and I know how much effort she puts into her job.  Again I wouldn't worry about it she's only in pre K.

blackmagic

Don't think that private school teachers are any better.  They generally have less requirements and certifications needed in comparison to public school teachers.  They also make less $$.  BTW, I teach 6th grade science and math.  Public school.  And I axe hard questions.

Struttin Spurs

Quote from: blackmagic on April 16, 2011, 01:01:46 AM
BTW, I teach 6th grade science and math.  Public school.  And I axe hard questions.
:TooFunny:

Mailman

When my daughter came home from playing when she was 6 she said the neighbors have a mirra in their van. I asked a WHAT? Do you mean mirror? She's fine now. LOL
One Shot One Kill

catdaddy

Quote from: turkey slayer on April 15, 2011, 02:38:23 PM
She's only in pre-k I wouldn't worry too much about it, Ifs I's hads to guesses she heard ANOTHER kid say it like that, thats SOME kids say it. ;D Don't worry there's alot of good teachers out there,one of which is my wife who teaches 2nd grade, once again she's only in pre k. When I was little I called mc donalds .....stick donalds.........

I did edit this because some people thought i was being racist????  Seriously, though what I said is true....everyone knows it. I didn't think making a true statement was such a horrible thing to do...................  :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Don't sweat it Hollis. In today's hyper politically correct world we have allowed ourselves to become, simply being a "realist" is too often confused with racism.

AdamZ

Quote from: gatrapper on April 15, 2011, 04:26:49 PM
...if you do dis den dat will happun ..."

The Neil Cost "Do-Dat"calls were named similarly thusly as those college girls described.
I thought I heard it was as Mr. Cost was tuning a call, "Dat Do Dat?" was a responsorial question when he was explaining he was making a call to whomever was listening. So he called it a "Do-Dat" call. Short box call. Great sounds.
So, responsorial thusly dat... :wave:
AZ
I ain't often right but I've never been wrong.

shad309

Hate to tell you this, but if your child is white they will be corrected. If not, they will not be corrected. This is not a racist statement but the truth.

I had a long talk with my sister about this (she's a speech pathologist). They are not allowed to correct this type of speech as it is "cultural" . This used to be called BEV (Black English Vernacular) now it's AAV (African American Vernacular) and is an accepted English dialect.

To me it's crap but that's the way it is

TurkeyPotpie

I have nothing good to say bout public schools.

I also think more people should really think about home schooling to see that their children are free from some of the personal agendas that SOME teachers preach.

Not going to go too polictical and infuse that into here, but when muslim kids are allowed to wear ceremonial daggers to school because it's part of their heathen religion while Christian kids are expelled for having stupid squirt guns, then you know that system of education needs dismantled!

Off soapbox now.  :boon:

HogBiologist

Quote from: shad309 on April 20, 2011, 06:07:21 PM
Hate to tell you this, but if your child is white they will be corrected. If not, they will not be corrected. This is not a racist statement but the truth.

I had a long talk with my sister about this (she's a speech pathologist). They are not allowed to correct this type of speech as it is "cultural" . This used to be called BEV (Black English Vernacular) now it's AAV (African American Vernacular) and is an accepted English dialect.

To me it's crap but that's the way it is

Honestly it is fine if "they" want to speak like that.  It is their culture. But If that is the case, Then my kid ought to be able to say aint, fer, widgadidga, as the crow flies, fixin to, et cetera....

That is my culture.  Red Neck American.
Certified Wildlife Biologist