OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Saving your fingers.

Started by larry9988, September 18, 2017, 10:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larry9988

I have noticed that more than one call maker has had a major accident on the table saw. I am a call maker myself and understand the danger in using a table saw. We work with small pieces of wood meaning our fingers get very close to the blade. From cutting thin pieces, to tiny inlay pieces for box calls and many other cuts, our fingers are always at risk. I am a retired agriculture teacher and I taught woodworking for 28 years. The worst student accident that ever happened in my class was on.... you guessed it, a table saw. A few years ago I became aware of a table saw called a Sawstop that prevented most table saw accidents. It works off of conductivity. If your finger comes into contact with the blade, the blade is disabled and snatched below the table surface in a microsecond. Now they are expensive but if you consider the pain, medical cost and down time caused by a major accident, they are worth the money. I bought one for my school shop a few years before I retired and it was great peace of mind knowing it would help protect my students and thus protecting me from liability in the case of an accident. Please watch the video demonstration of how this thing works and you may convinced of the value of this tool. I do not work for this company and am not associated with them in any way. I just wanted anyone that was not aware that this type of saw existed to know it was out there. Anything that I can do to help protect my fellow call makers is my only motivation. I know this is not for everyone, especially because of the cost, but how can you put a value on loosing one or more fingers.

MickT

Table saws claim more fingers than any other tool. I had my tablesaw mistake- not accident- almost 10 years ago. Lucked out with how the blade hit my hand and didn't sever anything. I got in a hurry and didn't use a push stick- stupid, I know. Took nearly 30 stitches to fix 3 fingers and I'd say my hand is 95% now. I use any other tool unless I have to use the table saw now, but am a safety nazi too. Live and learn, but learn from someone else's mistakes when you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sixbird

Quote from: sixbird on September 18, 2017, 11:59:36 PM
Here's one that's not outrageously expensive and, from reviews, it works really well...
http://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/bosch-reaxx-table-saw-gts1041a-09?cm_mmc=Google-_-PRODUCTFEED-_-BOSCH-_-GTS1041A-09&CAWELAID=600009240003301199&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=44900997489&CATCI=pla-298991289001&catargetid=600009240005377013&cadevice=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsNLex62w1gIVyWSGCh2iZQxrEAQYBCABEgLMWPD_BwE

From what I understand, the Sawstop destroys the blade when it's activated. The REAXX drops the blade and requires replacement of a cartridge. Takes about a minute and you're back in business. Blade stays intact.

sixbird

Looks like there was a decision by ITC that Bosch couldn't market them in the U.S. because of patent violations with Sawstop...Damn!

larry9988

After activation with the Sawstop, it takes a new blade and cartridge. Costs about $100 to get going again.

nativeks

Coworker was trying to use a jointer and a planner and wasn't using a stick to push the piece of wood. When it shot out his fingers went in. Then after mangling them he didn't go to a Dr. for 10 days till they started stinking. 2 weeks ago he crushed his pinky working on a combine. A year ago he dropped a whole tree on his foot. I still have that X-ray on my phone. He is a bull in a china closet.

doublespurs21

I have been working as a cabinetmaker for over 30 years, I have been bit once on the table saw. I always watch to see where my fingers are , when going past the blade. and I always use some type of a push stick.
  At my job, now. we have a sawstop table  saw .  I still believe you will get cut on this saw, not just as bad on a different brand.

ferocious calls

Have used the table saw for 40 yrs with great respect. I watched 2 accidents where digits were lost or mangled by men that knew that saw well. Now on my own saw I have made a red zone where my digits don't wonder. Repetitive cutting can lead to accidents if great care and respect are not exercised.

When the push stick looks sick, put it out of its misery and make a few new ones, and USE them.

culpeper

We are human, not machines and we do make mistakes, but almost every one can be prevented.  I too have been a woodworker for 40 years and now a call maker.  I NEVER allow my hands/fingers go between the fence and the blade if the space is less than 4".  Even then I proceed very carefully.  That might sound anal and ridiculous to some, but both hands and all 10 fingers are critical to me.  There is no reason to ever be in a hurry and it doesn't take any more time to use a push stick or similar.  The table saw doesn't discriminate as to whether or not you are going too fast or slow and it will never give you a warning before it bites.

Here's to everyone one who use a table saw and any other power tool to work smart.

NCbowjunkie

Always treat mechanical saws with same respect as a loaded firearm. They have no forgiveness.