OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

870 barrell length

Started by thebull, April 14, 2011, 07:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebull

is a 21" barrel just as godd as a 26" trying to get a 20ga bought but it only has a slug barrel on it. so got to buy a shotgun barrel. which one should i get thanks.

redarrow

I personally prefer the shorter barrel.Some say a longer bbl will shoot further and tighter,but with todays chokes and ammo I cant see it being much to worry about.

mightyjoeyoung

With modern powders, most, if not all of the velocity that a load is going to achieve is produced within the first 18-20" of a shotgun barrel, with not a whole lot more out to 28".  After that it is simply an issue of diminishing returns.  None of my trukey guns have more than a 24" barrel.  It is nice to have that short barrel when hunting too, especially if you need to manuver around a limb or sapling.  Add to that an extended choke and that barrel is right bach to 25 or even 26".
Big Al's "Take-em" Style Silhouette decoys Pro-Staff.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind te most.

Trevor2

21" all the way love those short guns
Strutstopper

thebull

buddys givin me a hard time about buying a youth model 20ga with a 21" barrell . said that it will not shoot as good as a 26'' . where is the best place to buy a used one . i am not having any luck finding any that is a good price can alomst buy aother gun.
                thanks for them help.   this is a great site

surehuntsalot

short barrels for me
I have an 870 youth with the 21" barrel and I have a CD with a 26" barrel
I like the short barrel better,but hey that's just me
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

thebull

but out of the 2 which one shoots better up close and at longer distance.

msgobblergetter

I'm a long barrel guy myself... All my turkey guns have 26" bbls.  I like to know I'm getting the most out the ammo I use.  It also helps when I misjudge the distance of a bird.

thebull

where can i find a barrel 26" or smaller thats not as high as gun.

R AJ

Quote from: thebull on April 16, 2011, 01:07:04 PM
where can i find a barrel 26" or smaller thats not as high as gun.

Go to Auction Arms or Gun Broker and be patient. The 26" gives a longer sighting plane if you use it for shooting birds such as dove or duck.I have a 26" but would not mind a 21" for turkey only.

gobbler336

mines a 28'' barrel,  and i love it.

goblr77

Quote from: msgobblergetter on April 16, 2011, 11:57:43 AM
I'm a long barrel guy myself... All my turkey guns have 26" bbls.  I like to know I'm getting the most out the ammo I use.  It also helps when I misjudge the distance of a bird.

I have barrels of different lengths on several shotguns but 26" is my personal favorite as well. IMO that's the best OAL for giving the best possible patterns without being overly long and cumbersome. If you are going to double the gun as a wingshooter this is the best length for that as well.