turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Good red dot that wont break the bank.

Started by supremepredator, August 12, 2017, 08:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supremepredator

Hey aint been on in a while and im looking to mount a good red dot on my mossberg 500. I'd like something small that holds zero when shooting 3" long beards
"Save the habitat,save the hunt"

ol bob

Burris fastfire know it will handle 3 1/2" for 3 years so 3" should be no problem

turkeymanjim

I second that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

West Augusta

I've had a $35 Wally world BSA red dot on my 870 Super Mag shooting 3 1/2" for over 10 years and haven't had to resight it except when I took it off once.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Hooksfan

I have a Bushnell Trophy Hunter on a Youth 870 20 gauge and one on my Winchester SX2 12 gauge for 10 years now and have never had an issue.

TerryLNanny

If you want to take a chance, go cheap. I've been using Eotech for many years. Never a problem.
The Gobblers I've had the pleasure calling in have never been the same.

sixbird

The Burris Fast Fire III is an excellent reflex sight. I've had one for about three years now and it's performed flawlessly. If you check some of the pro pistol shooters, they put them on the slide of their firearms. If they can survive that sort of recoil, they'll be fine on a heavier firearm without the violent back and forth of a sliding semi action.
I've also heard very good things about the Vortex Venom. There's a test somewhere that involved purposely trying to destroy one. By the time it was over, the thing was pretty much destroyed but it still functioned...

dutch@fx4

I have been looking as well. Was in a shop looking at the buris fast fire and had a hard time seeing the dot indoors  well looking out the window.  How are thy in bright sun light

Greg Massey

Check out the Bushnell Trs -25 red dot...it want break the bank and has great reviews from everyone...You can buy one less than 100 dollars..I have one mounted on my 500 Mossberg...

grayfox

I've been using a Truglo Tru-brite on my 870 for the past 4 seasons. So far it's held up to the 3" Hevi-13. It is a lot bigger than the Burris Fastfire but it has a lot more brightness adjustment. I just picked up another one on ebay for $51.95. It only has the 5 moa recticle but that's all I use anyway. These are great red dots for the money in my opinion. Here's the link:

https://www.ebay.com/p/TRUGLO-Tru-brite-Dual-Color-Single-Reticle-Open-Red-Dot-Sight-TG8385BN/691275507

compton30

Get a Vortex Venom and never miss again.

guesswho

Another vote for the Vortex Venom.   Seeing the dot shouldt be an issue, even in the brightest  sun light.   Plenty of brightness settings.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

drenalinld

Vortex Venom. FF3 does not have enough brightness settings. You will always have starbursting effect.

sixbird

Quote from: dutch@fx4 on August 13, 2017, 11:28:49 AM
I have been looking as well. Was in a shop looking at the buris fast fire and had a hard time seeing the dot indoors  well looking out the window.  How are thy in bright sun light

In bright sunlight is where they particularly shine, so to speak. The auto brightness setting takes care of the dot and there is no issue with seeing through the sight itself. You can also set the brightness of the dot manually if you feel that necessary, although I've never had a situation where the auto function didn't compensate on it's own.
The only time I've ever had an issue, and it was an extremely minor one was looking from bright light into shadow. I did have one instance when I held off on a shot because I wasn't 100 and 50% sure that I was aiming exactly at the gobblers head. That said, I could have shot and I'm sure I would have killed him. I just decided to play it entirely safe.
Please don't read into this that it's an issue that is common or even worthy of consideration because it's not. I just wanted to mention it as a matter of full disclosure...
Drenalinld...Not being smart so please don't take it that way but you may want to check your prescription if you wear glasses or if not, look into it. The reason I say that is I have the same issue IF I don't wear glasses. I thought there was something wrong with my FF until I put on a pair of glasses...The dot came into sharp focus...Ugh...I'd say I hate getting old but they say it beats the alternative. I sometimes question that one too... :-\