OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

What's the most gobblers you've heard on the roost? When & where was it?

Started by Cut N Run, June 25, 2017, 10:48:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cut N Run

After reading crow's post about calling Spring gobblers in the 1800s, it made me contemplate the most birds I've ever heard gobbling at one time from their morning roost when I was hunting.  My answer is 6 or maybe 7 birds in April 2006 at my old lease in Granville County, N.C..  Now, I don't have access to huge tracts of land, nor an over-abundant population of turkeys any place I hunt.  To hear 6-7 different birds gobbling around here from one piece of property is pretty spectacular, especially when you consider that my lease was just under 400 acres. My best friend and I lowered the population there by two that day.  Some of the land surrounding that property was difficult to access didn't get turkey hunted, so that made the lease hunt bigger than it actually was, more like ~800 acres.

So how about you?  What's the most gobblers you've heard from one place and where were you hunting?

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

nativeks

38 on Good Friday 1999. That was the glory days of turkey hunting here. It was like a wave that started to our east and just came up the river.

J-Shaped

Southern Missouri Ozarks in 1993. Haven't heard anything like it since then, not even in areas of Texas or Oklahoma that are loaded with loud mouth Rios. I miss hunting Missouri in the 90's.

monty690

For me it was opening morning this year in middle Tennessee, eight of them.

guesswho

10-12, Laurens county Georgia.   Guessing mid to late 90's.    And in Martin county KY, also 10-12 two years ago.  But good luck getting to them though.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

ol bob

I would say 10 to 12 most mornings in western N.C. we killed 7 nice birds off of 40 acres and left at least 4 this year

Happy

7 with earshot on morning in Wv bout 5 years ago. Typically I am thankful to hear two in one morning from the roost.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

falltoms

Used to hear 10 to 12 on average in the 90's. And that was multiple places, standing in one spot. Now it's about half that, in the Laurel highlands. Pa

Yoder409

More than I could count.  But my estimate is between 35 and 45............  Braxton County, WV in the early or mid 1990's.  It was NUTS !!!!!!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

hookedspur

20-30 on two different occasions ,this year in KY. and My first trip to Kansas 10 Years ago .
The trip to KS ruined me when the birds started flydown it looked like it was raining Turkeys and
this went on for bout 5 min. and I have went back bout every year since .

I got in on these birds early and set a Jake and a hen Deke out ,they started with a few spread out gobbles and just before
it got light enough for silhouettes to show it came a thunder storm and I never heard anything like it before or since.
They would start with the birds right over me and I could hear the Gobbles travel down the creek from bird to bird as far as I could hear. From fly down to tag out was about 5 mins. I still get cold chills from it, even as I write this.
To top it all off I'm walking back to my truck with a Gobbler over either shoulder and look up to see a double rainbow..
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

deerhunt1988

PALongspur

quavers59

I would say at least 25 or more in a 1/2 mile radius in a certain Orange County,NY area.

Improvinghunter101

Had permission on a farm I called mile creek. It was nothing to hear at least 10-15 birds there in the mornings.  Just little fingers of timber coming up out of a creek bottom with a couple little inner fields.  It was perfect to get in to.  After a few years of hunting it, farmer went in and had the little fingers all bulldozed and it all became two big fields on either side of the creek.  Lucky to hear 2 or 3 there after that and getting within a 1/4 mile on them is nearly impossible.  The place went from being at the top of my list to not hunting it again.

Chris O

I have no way of keeping track for sure how many but I would say around 30 birds I could hear from 1 listening position in the late 80's in southern Iowa.I don't go there much anymore but the last few years I hunted there I didn't hear hardly any gobbling.I think numbers were down and it gets a lot of hunting pressure.I have also heard a lot of people accusing bobcats for the decline of turkey talk.Any of you southern guys with big bobcat populations notice this?