Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What's the most gobblers you've heard on the roost? When & where was it?

Started by Cut N Run, June 25, 2017, 10:48:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Fahs

20+ on some mornings along the upper reaches of the potomac river. This is from high ground where you can hear for miles.

The most I've ever seen and heard was in Northeast kansas on a bow hunt In  mid november.... I was hunting a nice ridge along the only creek for miles. It separated two 50 acre picked corn fields. The creek had huge sycamore trees and at gray light I could see the trees were full of turkeys. They gobbled like it was late April on the roost and flew down and strutted and fought and chased each other all day. One field had 107 birds in it the other 112. AT least half were longbeards and they gobbled all day then flew back up and gobbled till after dark. THIS was November 19.... I could not imagine that place in the spring. THE guy I was hunting with did not like deer hunting there because the turkeys always made such a racket. What a great day in the woods.

aaron

It's common for Ohio around mid march (well before season) to hear 10-15 from one listening spot

fallhnt

Out west. To many to count

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Wyoming and Nebraska 2007-2009 for Merriams and Rios.  It was nothing to hear 25+ on the roost.

I've had the privilege of hunting some phenomenal dirt for easterns where the best mornings of the season could yield 25-30 birds gobbling within ear shot on the roost.

GobbleNut

Hard to say for sure because of their tendency to gobble over the top of each other, but I would guesstimate 15 to 20.  Years ago, I went to a group of roosted gobblers thinking there were eight or ten of them together and when they showed up, there were sixteen.  Another time, I thought there were six or eight, and when they showed up, there were eleven. 

Just really hard to say for sure when there are large numbers roosted in the same area, but I do know that those situations will get you pumped up about the prospects while you are sitting there waiting!

Jbird22

dixiemagnum80

20+ along the North Platte river in Nebraska in 2013. That river bottom has turkeys along it for as long as you can see it from I-80.....not to mention giant deer and elk.

Kylongspur88

I would guess over a dozen in Eastern Kentucky. If you get up high you can hear birds for miles.

16 on a lease in south Carolina in 1996,the next year it was clearcut.Hasn't been the same since.

beardhunter87

Awesome same here. Live in South West Missouri. Probably 15+

Quote from: J-Shaped on June 25, 2017, 11:06:59 AM
Southern Missouri Ozarks in 1993. Haven't heard anything like it since then, not even in areas of Texas or Oklahoma that are loaded with loud mouth Rios. I miss hunting Missouri in the 90's.

Tail Feathers

I've heard what sounded like at least a couple of dozen in western OK before.
I've stood in one spot on my leased hunting property and heard 13 different birds before.  Sure wasn't like that this season tho!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

hunter22

Double B

Double digits on IN state forest land back in the late 90's.  It was loaded and you had to decide which bird to hunt.  Now hear 2-4 on most good mornings. 
Followed by buzzards

Hooksfan

First time I ever heard a ridiculous amount of birds gobbling was in 1998 in Bates County, Missouri.  I was fresh out of Louisiana and my brother had come up to hunt with me.  I had been doing a lot of preseason scouting and was prepared for what daylight would bring.  My brother was not.  We heard about 20 birds that morning within 300 yards.  I thought he was going to hyperventilate before fly down time.  We both walked out with birds hung over our shoulder.
Other time was about four years ago youth hunting with my kids in Kansas.....couldn't count them all, but it was upwards of 30 birds.