turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Calling turkeys in the early 1800's

Started by crow, June 23, 2017, 11:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crow

A very good book "44 years in the Life of a Hunter" by Meshach Browning, written in 1859, it is the life story of the author who was an early pioneer to western Md.

There are several mentions of calling spring gobblers to the gun,--- around 1810 he heard a gobbler while spring bear hunting and said he imitated the yelps of a hen calling it in. He does not mention what type of caller was used, or if it was natural voice. He does mention natural voice for calling deer

On another spring bear hunt (about the mid 1820's) he heard a gobbler and called it in imitating the cackle of a hen, I thought it was interesting in this reference that he used the word cackle.

Browning, for most of his life made a good part of his income market hunting deer and bear. The book  doesn't focus on turkeys but there are mentions throughout of shooting turkeys for meat.

Interesting book about early pioneer life and hunting, if you hunt western Md. you will recognize some of the places he hunted.

LaLongbeard

Not the same state but supposedly Louisiana had 2 million turkeys in 1800 we got about 60,000 now and only 15 of them ever gobble on the same day. I would like to have heard one good clear morning in April 1800 I'm guessing a crow or owl hooter would not have been needed.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

1iagobblergetter

That would have been something spectacular and memorable.

mgm1955

Sounds like a good read. Thanks for the info.

SteelerFan

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Need to break that one out again. I've covered some of the same territory.

Happy

I live in his stomping grounds. Meadow mountain was a favorite area of his as well as deep creek. Which was actually a creek and not the man made lake it is today.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

crow

I would like to have heard one good clear morning in April 1800 I'm guessing a crow or owl hooter would not have been needed.
[/quote]

Tom Kelly in his book (The Season) comments on a naturalist who went to Florida in the 1700's who wrote about how long and how intense the birds gobbled each morning

that would be very cool to hear

crow

Quote from: Happy on June 24, 2017, 08:21:33 AM
I live in his stomping grounds. Meadow mountain was a favorite area of his as well as deep creek. Which was actually a creek and not the man made lake it is today.

The one gobbler he called in flew across Deep Creek to get to his hen yelps.

I have hunted some of his area, and white water kayaked thru some of it, beautiful country.
His bear/deer dogs sounded like they would have been something to have hunted with.

Happy

Yes. Bears were his specialty. He did also document killing an occasional "panther" as well. It is beautiful country and I love chasing gobblers in some of the more rugged and remote areas we have here.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

falltoms

I'll have to get that book.. I don't live far from Western MD. I too enjoy the rugged terrain of Garrett. Co

the Ward

It would have been truly amazing to have been able to experience the wildlife in a true wilderness like our forefathers did. Love reading accounts of those bygone days. I wonder sometimes if our children's great grandchildren will read about our hunting stories with the same amazement we have now for the old timers?

jblackburn

Quote from: Phillipshunt on June 23, 2017, 09:45:44 PM
Not the same state but supposedly Louisiana had 2 million turkeys in 1800 we got about 60,000 now and only 15 of them ever gobble on the same day. I would like to have heard one good clear morning in April 1800 I'm guessing a crow or owl hooter would not have been needed.

I think you've over estimated the 15 :)

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.