turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Noise from ported chokes

Started by mcw3734, June 11, 2017, 02:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcw3734

I'm getting back into the turkey hunting game after a 20-year hiatus and so I'm looking at aftermarket choke tubes for my Remington SP-10 w/ 25" barrel. As I look through all the brands, it seems like the vast majority are ported.

When I think ported, I think about ringing ears after a shot. Or at least that is what I remember when shooting an old mag-na-ported .30 caliber rifle back when. I never liked that.

How much are these shotgun ported choke tubes adding to the noise level of the shooter? Has anybody tested the sound at the butt end of the gun, ported v. non-ported, using a decibel-measuring-thingy? Curious.

Thank you!

Chris O

I notice the difference when patterning and probably a little in the field but it doesn't seem that much different to me. I do notice the less recoil a little bit as well.I don't hunt with earplugs in like I do when I hunt my Ruger super Blackhawk 44 mag if that gives you any idea.

Ozarks Hillbilly

First off  :welcomeOG: and my condolences on falling off the wagon after 20 years. As far as ported choke tubes the benifits far out way any increase in noise to me. Mr. Clark Bush may weigh in on this thread he probably has actual figures on decibel levels between ported vs non-ported choke tubes. To me a shot gun and a center fire rifle or pistol are far different In a sound that hurts my ears. To me the crack of some smaller bore center fire rifles and some of the AR platforms will ring my ears far worse than the Boooom of a shotgun. A S&W .357 revolver gavery me one of the worst ear ringing of anything I have ever touched off. I wear ear protection when pattern testing as we all should. It maybe like the recoil don't seem to notice it when big ol strutter is in front of you.

turkeyfeathers

Should OP be concerned about ported versus non ported and which  turkey load he's shooting too ? Am I correct in saying flight wad control loads are better with non ported ? Ported tend to strip the wad ? 
Like others mentioned : wear ear protection when shooting paper and you'll never hear it when touching it off on a bird.

howl

Yes, porting increases report. Other things that increase muzzle blast are shorter barrels and high velocity loads. If you use a longer barrel, an unported or flush choke and standard velocity loads things are much more pleasant.

My two preferred turkey guns have 28" barrels and Sumtoy chokes. I use loads that supposedly clock well under 1100fps. There is no ringing of the ears as there would be otherwise. Having payloads of 1.5oz and 13/16oz aren't too bad for recoil, neither.

davisd9

Probably does but never paid it any mind, I have on ear protection when patterning and do not hear it when a bird is in front of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Greg Massey

I just don't use ported chokes ...just one less problem to worry about ....

mcw3734

First off, thank you so much for the replies and to Ozarks Hillbilly for the welcome!

The vibe I'm getting is that yes, ported chokes will increase the noise, but not so much so that it is painful. And yes, I always wear ear/eye protection when at the range. But, it's good to know the sound isn't deafening in the field.

While it won't be a deal breaker, I think I'm going to try and shop for a non-ported choke tube. Having a SP-10, it doesn't look like I have as many options as other guns. Honestly, this choke tube and shotshell shopping can be a little overwhelming.

Again, thanks for the feedback and for any more that might still come. Probably won't be the last you'll all hear from me.

tha bugman

Check out the 10ga forum on here.  You will get a wealth of knowledge on chokes and loads that will at least give you something to munch on in making your decision.  Good luck!

dirt road ninja

I've notice 0 difference in noise levels with or without ports.

allaboutshooting

I'm pretty late getting in on this discussion but maybe I can share some of my experiences with ported chokes which might be helpful. As far as noise or muzzle blast goes, I've found that ported barrels will have more noise/blast than non-ported barrels of the same length. Noise/blast from chokes greatly depends upon the design of the ports.

I have participated in still target shooting for the last 17 years. In that sport we sit on "low boy" stools and are at most 4' and sometimes less, from the shooter(s) on either side of us. Most shooters use the longest barrels allowed but some companies make ported and non-ported chokes for their shooters. We have all learned to lean away and cover our ears with our hands (we all wear plugs and many wear plugs and muffs) to help with the noise/blast with certain brands of ported chokes. When the same brand of non-ported choke is shot, that's not necessary. When other brands of ported chokes are shot, it's not necessary. So, it largely depends upon the brand and style of ports.

What really creates noise/blast is a short barrelled shotgun. It can be very painful to be next to someone shooting a very short barrelled shotgun, even with plugs or muffs. While we don't hear that noise when we're hunting, the damage is done regardless.

I have a Fox SxS with very short barrels. It fits me better than any gun I own but I've basically quit shooting it due to the noise/blast it creates. I once shot sporting clays with it and found that everyone in my party was drifting further and further away as we progressed through the stations. It's just too loud.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

mtns2hunt

Quote from: dirt road ninja on June 12, 2017, 09:11:28 PM
I've notice 0 difference in noise levels with or without ports.

No difference? Hearing loss is cumulative and gets worse over time. Every one should wear hearing protection on the range and in the field if they care to continue hearing that gobbler in their later years. Once hearing is gone its gone for good. I remember when I was very young running into two ol timers deer hunting in a thicket. Both had huge hearing aids in each ear: scared me to death.

I wear electronic muffs whenever I shoot. I got used to them very quickly and will not hunt without them. One last word: if you have ringing in your ears you have a condition called Tinnitus caused by the loss of hearing and it can only get worse if you do not take the right precautions i.e. muffs, ear plugs or even both which I do when shooting my larger rifles. Yes ported chokes are louder than non ported.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

BBR12

I have a choke have two 12 gauge chokes that have "slits" or long narrow ports one has vertical and one has horizontal ports, I shoot neither one because of the noise. They both have my ears ringing to hi heaven after shooting a bird. I have been shooting a kicks for years that has the ports that diagonal away to the front and it is not near as bad. My ears almost never ring after shooting a bird with it.

mcw3734

Thank you for the input. Ya, I already have a slight case of tinnitus and I'd rather not make it worse. I believe mine started from going to a Rush concert as a teenager, 10 rows from the stage... my ears rang for 2 days after.

Anyway... I started another thread in the 10-gauge forum, but since this is getting some attention (and the other isn't), I'll just ask it here:

Can anybody suggest any non-ported chokes currently on the market for a Rem. SP-10? At this point, the only one I can find is a Patternmaster Extended Range Unported.

Thanks again for the feedback everybody!

Greg Massey

Quote from: mcw3734 on June 13, 2017, 09:18:47 PM
Thank you for the input. Ya, I already have a slight case of tinnitus and I'd rather not make it worse. I believe mine started from going to a Rush concert as a teenager, 10 rows from the stage... my ears rang for 2 days after.

Anyway... I started another thread in the 10-gauge forum, but since this is getting some attention (and the other isn't), I'll just ask it here:

Can anybody suggest any non-ported chokes currently on the market for a Rem. SP-10? At this point, the only one I can find is a Patternmaster Extended Range Unported.

Thanks again for the feedback everybody!
Give Sumtoy on this forum a call i bet he can help you with a choke or make you one...