turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What's everyone's favorite mouth calls?

Started by steeltowninwv, June 04, 2017, 07:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steeltowninwv

What's everyone's favorites?  I'm looking to get some new ones.  I'm decent at using them but not great

boatpaddle

Denny Gulvas...

Master's Choice....

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

davisd9

XT Havoc and like the Riot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Coop1082

Gooserbat is very popular on here. Unfortunately they don't seal well for me. I have a large wide pallet and need more width on my tape. For me it's a Hook's Heartthrob (full size tape requested) and a Tom Teasers Hillbilly Hen. I do like the Teasers butt naked hen as well and it cutts better then any diaphragm I've ever run, but prefer the high clean front I can get on on yelps  on the Hillbilly more.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Techn9cian02

Quote from: MDTOM84 on June 04, 2017, 08:53:09 PM
Anything Gooserbat makes!!!
X2 They hardly require much air pressure and they happen to fit my mouth perfectly

BABS9

Hooks. Priced great and run easily and sound awesome

Chris O

Quote from: Techn9cian02 on June 04, 2017, 09:11:15 PM
Quote from: MDTOM84 on June 04, 2017, 08:53:09 PM
Anything Gooserbat makes!!!
X2 They hardly require much air pressure and they happen to fit my mouth perfectly
I haven't hunted them yet, but I have no doubt the birds will like them .They are the easiest calls that I have ran to date.

Happy

Hooks, hoping to try some hounds tooth as well this coming spring.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Farmboy27

GobbleNut

Quote from: steeltowninwv on June 04, 2017, 07:43:38 PM
What's everyone's favorites?  I'm looking to get some new ones.  I'm decent at using them but not great

All of the call makers mentioned (and others) make good calls.  ....But here's the deal.  Until you figure out what call construction works best for your calling abilities and your calling mechanics, you will be spending money "spinning your wheels". 

Here is a basic tutorial on the factors that must be taken into account for mouth call users:
1)  Fit:  Mouth call frames come in several sizes.  The first thing you must figure out is what size is optimum for you personally.  Tape cut and tape thickness also are a factor, but generally not so much as the frame size. 

2)  Call construction variables:
    --- Reed materials thickness:  latex used for call construction comes in an assortment of thicknesses (and colors).  Every batch of latex manufactured into sheets has its own specific characteristics.  Sometimes those characteristics end up being good for making turkey calls,...and sometimes not. The combinations of latex thicknesses (and associated colors) used in a call are an important factor in how a call will perform.  Generally speaking, most call users do better with calls constructed of thinner latex layers rather than thicker.
    --- Reed stretch:  the tension put in the reed materials in an individual call also plays a role.  The amount of tension relative to the thickness of reed materials used will play a role in the sound of a call.  In addition, stretch can be done both laterally (sideways) and front to back,...and both influence sound quality,...and very small differences in either can have a big impact in a call's sound.
    --- Reed spacing:  anymore, most calls are constructed with multiple reed layers (for better sound quality).  The spacing of the reed layers between each other (front to back) impacts the sound.  Again, very small differences in spacing can impact the sound of a call.
    --- Reed cuts:  probably the most important factor in the sound quality of a call is the reed cut.  From my experience, the optimum reed cut can vary considerably in calls that have the same fundamental call construction.  Learning how to make adjustments in the reed cuts to find the "turkey" in any individual call is critical. 

Is all of this confusing?  Absolutely.  The point to be made, though, is that anyone that wants to master (or get better) using mouth calls needs to first understand how the factors above influence any one individual's choice of calls.  Every call,...and call user,...is a bit different.

tha bugman

Primos true double

TauntoHawk

Everyone needs something a little different, I like houndstooth,  halloran, and hooks from the dozens of makers I've tried

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bowguy

I like hooks heart throb n hooks game changer 3 the best. Also Tru tone orange batwing

mspaci

M Sharpe

Quote from: davisd9 on June 04, 2017, 08:36:02 PM
XT Havoc and like the Riot

I don't use mouth calls very often, but when I do these are it!!!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!