News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

THE NEW TURKEY HUNTERS...

Started by quavers59, June 04, 2017, 12:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

:TooFunny: :toothy12: :toothy9: :TooFunny:

Since we are all measuring, here's how good a turkey hunter I am:  Put me on the right turkey at the right time and I am the worlds greatest turkey hunter.  Put me on the wrong turkey at the wrong time and I am the worlds worst.   ;D :newmascot:

Old Gobbler

Is  it really "cabin fever " season already ? We do have one simple rule ...BE NICE , people come to oldgobbler to have a good time , a good informative pleasant time ....not watch folks argue we have a saying " get along ...move along " as in we may have minor differences but in the end we're very similar in likeness let's not quarrel of nonsense and focus on things we do like in common

I'm gonna lend some insight from a administrators point of view , regardless of subject matter there is always gonna be folks that want to blow off a little steam , then get over themselves ....then move on never to be involved in a ugly situation again ..I've seen people arguing over the years like it was the end of the world from stuff as dumb as the " Dixie Chicks " then move on ...I like so many Of you...my friends ....have had a few bad days in my time , thank goodness I have you guys to back me up and help each other out through the bumpy spots in life ,we all encounter -- 

But yes there is always some know it all  A$$'s out there , I got one like that at my work that everyone detests ...this guy is the expert on everything, I swear if he proclaimed to know how to fly the space shuttle I wouldn't be surprised ....he is a world class corn-holer -- the reason folks come to places like this is to get away from folks like that and get real world purposeful information and entertainment, not to surround themselves with arrogant folks like that

This may be hard to believe .........I myself.... don't tell nobody this.....there was a time when I had never killed a turkey .... wait a minute.....every single turkey hunter in the world was that way at one time -- over the years I've learned a few things , I learned humility quickly cause those old gobblers are gonna run you in circles , I reflect back on my years of turkey hunting and realize that some of the best turkey hunts I ever went on I never even pulled the trigger , the education I got from a flock of turkeys was valued and I began to enjoy the act of turkey hunting in its entirety , not just a dead gobbler - some folks just get so fixated on a " kill at any cost " mentality I know for a fact they are missing out on the finer points of turkey hunting .....I'm trying to kill a gobbler just like the next guy , but trust me on this slow down ...enjoy the finer points of the experience, soak it in and ....BE NICE
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

captpete

Quote from: Tombo on June 11, 2017, 07:46:33 AM
How did I wind up on archery talk?  :emoticon-cartoon-012:

Was thinking the same thing...although this is kind of mild to some of the arguments on ArcheryTalk!!!! :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

quavers59

Hear you -Old Gobbler. Took me 5 full Springs to kill my 1st turkey. A flying jake with a fews days left. And this year it took me a full 24 days to get my 2 toms--a jake and a gobbler.  My post is about what I have seen- including those 1st 5 years when other turkey hunters cut in on me plenty of times. This started to increase on the public lands starting around 2006 with gobbler#1. Plenty of times, I am in close to 2 miles when someone sprinted to use cover as I was calling softly. He would either spook him or get him.It is what it is. My post was pretty straight forward. Just remember that you could be under observation by a close by Spring turkey hunter who may not reveal himself. So my average in the 2 states that I hunt in is low- but I am dedicated and that is what matters.  Be back here next Friday on this library computer.

Ihuntoldschool

No, you don't have to sprint to birds to kill them.  Just call them to you.

Happy

Maybe this is a dumb question for you "old schoolers" but I am going to ask anyways. Say you hear a tom tearing it up on a distant ridgetop. You are going to plop down at your chosen location and try to call him to a location where the odds are good he isn't going to want to come as opposed to beating feet over to a location close to him where odds are good he will approach? To me getting there fast before he gobbles up a hen and calling him in and killing him is really not much different. It still requires knowledge, Woodsmanship and skill with a call. I am not the type and sit and wait. I enjoy taking the hunt to the bird and I guess I just don't get the huge difference. In my experience the tighter to the bird the better the reaction to calling. Can anyone explain please?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Bowguy

Quote from: Happy on June 12, 2017, 09:13:59 AM
Maybe this is a dumb question for you "old schoolers" but I am going to ask anyways. Say you hear a tom tearing it up on a distant ridgetop. You are going to plop down at your chosen location and try to call him to a location where the odds are good he isn't going to want to come as opposed to beating feet over to a location close to him where odds are good he will approach? To me getting there fast before he gobbles up a hen and calling him in and killing him is really not much different. It still requires knowledge, Woodsmanship and skill with a call. I am not the type and sit and wait. I enjoy taking the hunt to the bird and I guess I just don't get the huge difference. In my experience the tighter to the bird the better the reaction to calling. Can anyone explain please?
Thanks
Not sure what you're referring to old schooler I've been at it since early 80s so longer than some. In the situation your referring to or anything remotely close I'm sure most guys would move on the bird. I personally have never heard or seen anyone sprint to a bird. It wouldn't even be safe running w a loaded gun, guys do unsafer things though.
I personally prefer to roost em or be near known roosts come morning but if you're out of the game you gotta get in it.
Bear in mind not at anyone else's expense. If you hunt easily accessible areas the chance of someone ruining your hunt are better. Get in n that doesn't mean distance if everyone is riding mt bikes or quads in, could be actually climbing a mt. Crossing a brook or hunting (gasp) where there are no roads or trails.
Everyone doesn't have to hunt our way no matter what way that is so finding seclusion is key to peace.

mspaci

This thread just needs to die. lol

silvestris

Turkeys will come a long distance to a well made call.  One would not know that unless one tried.  The benefit to that style of hunting is that your presence is not broadcast all over the whole forest.  As a dearly departed friend once imparted, "It is a sin to allow them to know that you exist".
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Happy

Thanks for the replies fellows. I tend to be more aggressive with my movements if necessary. I am not talking a half mile sprint but a short dash to get into position. Yes running with a loaded gun is for idiots. I open the chamber and when I am in position slide a shell in and close it.  If distance is involved I move quickly but not at the expense of sending creatures scurrying to the four corners. If a tom is hot I want to get on him in a quick decisive fashion. I tend to be more old fashioned in my approach as I believe in the call but I ain't gonna sit and call to a hot tom from a half mile off if I can help it.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

g8rvet

I have a nephew that was so scared of bumping them, he would not set up close enough.  I told him if you never bump a turkey, ever, you are not being aggressive enough.  He took that to heart and has bumped a few, but his success ratio has gone WAY up.  He says he did not kill one this year, but he set up and called in two, one for his dad (noob) and one for a friend (noob) and I told him he killed those birds, he just did not pull the trigger.  Bumping will happen no matter your intentions.  Especially on public ground.  I too tend to plan to go back and be a little less aggressive, but on hard hunted public land that has tons of roads, getting away from the crowds is not always easy, so there I tend to be a little more aggressive than I do on private land I hunt, where spooking them is a major no no (small tracts).
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

fallhnt

Is this post about somebody?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

crow

Quote from: fallhnt on June 12, 2017, 09:56:18 PM

It's about the first time "Wild Game Nation" went to old Mexico and tried to use the squealing hen call on oscillated turkeys

g8rvet

Quote from: crow on June 12, 2017, 11:15:05 PM
Quote from: fallhnt on June 12, 2017, 09:56:18 PM

It's about the first time "Wild Game " went to old Mexico and tried to use the squealing hen call on oscillated turkeys
Wait, I thought this was a recipe thread?????? :toothy9: :turkey2: :angel9:
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

quavers59

Silvestris has a very good point in his post. Wish more would heed it!