only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

THE NEW TURKEY HUNTERS...

Started by quavers59, June 04, 2017, 12:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Quote from: g8rvet on June 05, 2017, 02:21:19 PM
Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on June 05, 2017, 02:15:47 PM
Quavers, i read somewhere that you hunted 16 days this year and only killed 2 turkeys.

If I hunted Stewart State Forest, I'd be more worried about what the hell youre doing that's preventing you from killing birds more regularly and how many YOU actually educate before you find a dumb one.
Was that reply necessary, constructive, or helpful in any way?
x2

fallhnt

^^^no..... but there's lots of inconsiderate a-holes on this forum thus the response.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quavers, i read somewhere that you hunted 16 days this year and only killed 2 turkeys.

If I hunted Stewart State Forest, I'd be more worried about what the hell youre doing that's preventing you from killing birds more regularly and how many YOU actually educate before you find a dumb one.

The essence of the thread was concern about birds being educated by unorthodox tactics supposedly being employed by a new generation of turkey hunters.

I happen to hunt with and guide for one of the guys he is referencing in the original post.  He lives in Florida and has most likely legally killed more turkeys than any modern hunter. Although he does not "sprint" at turkeys he/we do move at an aggressive pace when we decide which bird is in play for the morning.  It doesn't mean you burn down the woods to the first turkey you hear with reckless abandonment.  It does mean that once you decide on a bird, you move swiftly and get as tight to that turkey as remotely possible. 

This particular individual does not move with a turkey fan in front of him, but he does carry a Montana decoy company silk screen fold up of a gobbler and uses it as a shield when moving on birds that are close by.  He will also use it to reap birds if the situation dictates.

I personally don't believe in reaping or fanning and look forward to the day it's outlawed but many of today's killers will gladly reap a bird and throw it in the back of the truck with the same level of satisfaction I get from calling one up or using topography and habitat features to stalk a field bird with hens that isn't callable on that particular day.

My response to the original poster was simply pointing out that criticizing today's killers for bumping birds seems a bit hypocritical considering the fact that it took him such an extensive number of days to kill 2 turkeys.  There were a hell of a lot of bumped turkeys in those 14 unsuccessful days afield. In contrast, the guys he is reading about rarely spend more than 2 or 3 days at the maximum in one place before they have a dead bird in their hands.  There are a lot of innovative tactics being employed by some incredibly successful hunters around the US.  You may not agree with some of the tactics but I can tell you one thing, the hunter who stays on his home turf hunting  the same birds on the same topography is not the guy you want to be taking advice from.  The guys who travel to different places and continually find success despite foreign terrain and undesirable weather conditions are the ones you want and to be paying attention to if you want to improve your game.

If I hunted 16 days and only killed 2 turkeys.... I'd be paying attention to some of the stuff I was reading and I'd be considering how I could integrate it into my hunting style   to become a more successful hunter. 

Lots of sensitivity in this forum among guys who don't like to hear counter perspective.  The purpose of discussion isn't to hold hands and sing koom-bay-yah.

mspaci

problem is that the guy openly advertises on line where he hunts & then gets mad when guys are there bumping birds. keep your mouth shut, & worry about what you do not others.  Mike

TauntoHawk

I see way more hunters sitting in blinds with decoy spreads that would make a goose hunter shake his head than running and gunning these days.

The quickest way to ruin hunting for yourself is to worry about every last stranger and how he hunts.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Farmboy27

I'm sure I bump my share of birds. I tend to take an aggressive approach with my hunting. I'm not afraid to practically run to a bird before setting up close if I can. If that makes me less of a hunter than someone who sets up in a good spot and gives a soft yelp every hour till a bird shows up, then so be it. I don't have the time or the desire to play the sit and wait game. I've tried it before and haven't been sure if I called in the bird or ambushed him. I'd rather take it to the bird. If I bust one here and there, so be it.  I hunt this way because I enjoy it. And if I ever quit enjoying hunting or have to hunt in a way I don't enjoy, then I'm done.

GobbleNut

I suppose that perhaps I missed the real message in the original post.  I assumed that "sprinting to a gobbler" meant the methodology was to just take off running towards a gobbler in hopes of catching him off-guard and then shooting him before he could react. 

If "sprinting" means approaching a gobbler in the distance quickly and stealthily to obtain the proper advantage in terms of set-up and calling location, then I suppose I must be one of those "new turkey hunters".  I have been spring gobbler hunting since 1965 and my methodology has always been to cut the distance to any gobbler I hear as quickly as possible. 

I'm sure in my early years my approach could have been defined as "sprinting".  Nowadays, I would have to call it a "hasty waddle",...but I still try to move as quickly as I can.  Quick and stealthy movement towards a gobbler, assuming you are not a "sit and waiter", is just good turkey hunting strategy. 

g8rvet

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on June 05, 2017, 07:53:08 PM

The essence of the thread was concern about birds being educated by unorthodox tactics supposedly being employed by a new generation of turkey hunters.

I happen to hunt with and guide for one of the guys he is referencing in the original post.  He lives in Florida and has most likely legally killed more turkeys than any modern hunter. Although he does not "sprint" at turkeys he/we do move at an aggressive pace when we decide which bird is in play for the morning.  It doesn't mean you burn down the woods to the first turkey you hear with reckless abandonment.  It does mean that once you decide on a bird, you move swiftly and get as tight to that turkey as remotely possible. 

This particular individual does not move with a turkey fan in front of him, but he does carry a Montana decoy company silk screen fold up of a gobbler and uses it as a shield when moving on birds that are close by.  He will also use it to reap birds if the situation dictates.

I personally don't believe in reaping or fanning and look forward to the day it's outlawed but many of today's killers will gladly reap a bird and throw it in the back of the truck with the same level of satisfaction I get from calling one up or using topography and habitat features to stalk a field bird with hens that isn't callable on that particular day.

My response to the original poster was simply pointing out that criticizing today's killers for bumping birds seems a bit hypocritical considering the fact that it took him such an extensive number of days to kill 2 turkeys.  There were a hell of a lot of bumped turkeys in those 14 unsuccessful days afield. In contrast, the guys he is reading about rarely spend more than 2 or 3 days at the maximum in one place before they have a dead bird in their hands.  There are a lot of innovative tactics being employed by some incredibly successful hunters around the US.  You may not agree with some of the tactics but I can tell you one thing, the hunter who stays on his home turf hunting  the same birds on the same topography is not the guy you want to be taking advice from.  The guys who travel to different places and continually find success despite foreign terrain and undesirable weather conditions are the ones you want and to be paying attention to if you want to improve your game.

If I hunted 16 days and only killed 2 turkeys.... I'd be paying attention to some of the stuff I was reading and I'd be considering how I could integrate it into my hunting style   to become a more successful hunter. 

Lots of sensitivity in this forum among guys who don't like to hear counter perspective.  The purpose of discussion isn't to hold hands and sing koom-bay-yah.
Lots of constructive stuff in your post, but all I heard was your feelings were hurt for your pal so you lashed out.  could have made the same points with out being a know it all dick, but that is just my opinion of you and your style, so no kumbaya from me. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

g8rvet

QuoteThere were a hell of a lot of bumped turkeys in those 14 unsuccessful days afield.
You don't know that. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: g8rvet on June 05, 2017, 09:45:36 PM

Lots of constructive stuff in your post, but all I heard was your feelings were hurt for your pal so you lashed out.  could have made the same points with out being a know it all dick, but that is just my opinion of you and your style, so no kumbaya from me.

Anyone literate can clearly see the point of the post was to express concern regarding bumped turkeys.  I provided some counter perspective that taking 16 days kill 2 birds is statistical verification that the OP should probably stop worrying about other people bumping turkeys and pay a little more attention to what tactics those guys are using.

I wasn't defending anyone but certainly took the opportunity to clarify what he was reading versus the actual application of the tactics in the field since I've seen them employed first hand. I could careless if someone wants to criticize my buddy. He could careless. Our results speak for themselves.  I was just making the obvious point that criticizing people who are extremely successful using innovative tactics seems ironic considering the lack of success experienced by the OP using his preferred tactics (whatever they are).

Don't get your panties in a wad, vet.  I just call it like I see it.

g8rvet

Well you are a summers eve.  Just calling it like I see it don't get your knickers knotted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hooksfan

About the only thing I can find to correct in your reply is that I do believe it is  spelled kumbaya. :angel9:
My mantra in Spring Turkey hunting is that a bird is either gonna be scared or dead when I am done with him, and I have had that approach for 38 years.  That is also why I spend all off season acquiring new places and properties to hunt.  You can never have too many places to chase turkeys.  Sorry if I bump any of the OP's birds.

Bowguy

I can see this in a few lights but I'm not getting why you'd advertise spots than complain about how the masses hunt it.
We gotta find ways to move away from others n not make em hunt our way.
I hunt private, public. Public is better. More room to get away. Even a size able for the northeast farm of over 1000 acres is just too small for more than one or two aggressive guys. Never mind if they're off dif days than you. Every tree on the prop has had someone next to it this week alone.
If you don't like how guys hunt just don't hunt w em

the Ward

Days hunted vs. birds killed doesn't mean squat. And I personally like it when guys run around chasing gobbles, it tends to break up the birds and sometimes makes it easier to call them in. And if you like to run and gun, you most assuredly are probably bumping some birds you didn't even know were there. I hunt the way I like to hunt, and try not to be too concerned how others go about it as long as they are being safe and legal about it. America is a big place. What are traditional, time honored hunting methods in your region, just may be frowned on or even ridiculed in another region. I think we have slowly lost a lot of courtesy that was once a cornerstone of hunter ethics in the last decade or so due to the influence of social media. Hopefully it is a trend that doesn't last.

Bowguy

Quote from: the Ward on June 06, 2017, 12:56:43 PM
Days hunted vs. birds killed doesn't mean squat. And I personally like it when guys run around chasing gobbles, it tends to break up the birds and sometimes makes it easier to call them in. And if you like to run and gun, you most assuredly are probably bumping some birds you didn't even know were there. I hunt the way I like to hunt, and try not to be too concerned how others go about it as long as they are being safe and legal about it. America is a big place. What are traditional, time honored hunting methods in your region, just may be frowned on or even ridiculed in another region. I think we have slowly lost a lot of courtesy that was once a cornerstone of hunter ethics in the last decade or so due to the influence of social media. Hopefully it is a trend that doesn't last.
Good post