OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

LOOKING FOR A GOOD TRUMPET/WINGBONE THAT WON'T BREAK THE BANK

Started by SKFOOTER, May 31, 2017, 01:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SKFOOTER

What are your suggestions??  Thanks.

davisd9

What is "not breaking the bank"? 

A trumpet is a call you do not want to skimp on, and that does not mean paying an arm and a leg.  A good trumpet from a good builder makes the learning curve much easier.  I tried the hard way and was fortuante to learn but when I bought a quaility trumpet I could tell I shot myself in the foot and made learning the call much more difficult by being cheap.  You can easily get your money back on a trumpet from a quality builder if you realize the call is not for you.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

DocHolliday

Buice with Delrin mouthpiece. In a common wood should be affordable and will be a lifetime instrument.

SKFOOTER

Thanks for the input.  Can you guys recommend a callmaker?

davisd9

Kenny Pedelahore (KP calls), Billy Buice, Billy McCallister and Del Crow, Matt Mclain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Terry

All the above mentioned and Brian Mero.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bowhuntr73

howl

You can get one with a coffee stirrer mouthpiece and OK sign barrel pretty cheap. (If you don't get that, put a straw between your thumb and pointer finger and make an OK sign at someone.)

For slightly more money:

Seriously, though, I'd start with a Jordan style you can at least try before buying. Some of the more advanced designs make learning the basics trickier than necessary. And some people might think a trumpet is good when it's just they're good at playing them.

GSLAM95

For the money you won't beat a Matt McClain.  I also like Herb Hornstra, Frank Cox and Ralph Permar but as mentioned you can get into a hunting grade from Matt very reasonably.   

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

Vaughnrp2

If you are talking in the $100-125 range I'm not sure you will find a better call maker than brIan mero.

pauld

Any of the above, Minus Frank Cox, add Lee Chadwick too. Looking around $125 to start.

nsselle

Best bang for buck and easy to run,a Brian Mero. Most of the other will cost you mid 200's. but well worth it. Also with a Mero, you shouldnt have to wait to long.

davisd9

Quote from: nsselle on June 01, 2017, 11:19:41 AM
Best bang for buck and easy to run,a Brian Mero. Most of the other will cost you mid 200's. but well worth it. Also with a Mero, you shouldnt have to wait to long.

Many of the listed makers have trumpets in the $125-150 range, you can go 200 plus but do not have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacobson

KP trumpets are one of the best values out there in trumpets. Hands down.

gergg

Quote from: Jacobson on June 01, 2017, 06:47:12 PM
KP trumpets are one of the best values out there in trumpets. Hands down.

I agree 100%, Kenny's trumpets are players.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls