turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Slate or Ceramic?

Started by Coop1082, May 29, 2017, 06:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coop1082

I'm on a bit of a spree here (wife is a tad angry) but after my Roberts blue mahoe and Schaffer Sapele come in, I'm moving straight into either a ceramic or slate. I tend to prefer crystal or glass and use l diaphragms early morning for tree talk/soft talk, but I would love to get a pot to fit the mold. I feel slate is at the forefront of ceramic for the soft stuff, but in lower Alabama moisture is a real issue on early spring mornings. A Kaiser Ceramic and Schaffer red hen are the two of each surface i was looking at but I'm open to suggestions! Thanks guys!
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

outdoors

HEY I RECEIVED A CERAMIC FROM Gary Anderson AND THAT CALL KICKS A¥#
HE TOLD ME , THIS IS BETTER THAN SLATE , I AGREE With HIM ...........
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:  Daybreak Turkey Calls   :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Wvgobbler

Daybreak Paduak ceramic all the way for ceramic. And since your on a spending spree get a good slate call too. Your wife won't stay mad forever lol!!!!!!

scoot12

Slate,   I really don't care for ceramic but thats just me.  I still feel a great sounding slate call is the most realistic turkey sound a pot call can make.  This is just my opinion thought.  Scoot

Double B

I like ceramic a lot and still like a slate better, weather permitting. 
Followed by buzzards

Coop1082

Appreciating all the replies but wvgobbler does make a solid point...not forever right!?  :turkey2:
CRUSADERS

[/img]

Wvgobbler

Everytime I go on a turkey call spree my wife gets a little angry too but a trip to the mall and a few clothes and shoes later she's over it. Get the slate call too lol!!!!!!!

Bowguy

The two calls you mentioned are both good calls. I'd prefer the slate though, the red hen or a Halloran laminate slate if you can find one

870BkWht

Andy Kaiser makes a great ceramic pot as does Halloran, American Strutter, but the king of Ceramic pot calls in my opinon is Gary Anders of Daybreak Calls. 

The thing about ceramic is it plays like a slate in the ease of use but sounds way better.  Your range of sounds you get from a good ceramic is going to be far more than what you can get out of a slate.  Slate also tends to draw moisture.  A slate always sounds great in your house, but on a cool damp morning when Ol' Tom is gobbling his fool head off it sounds different right when you need it to sound the way it did in your house. 

Somethings to think on and these are only my thoughts and opinions.

vt35mag

I got a curly maple ceramic with Ipe striker from Andy Kaiser back in 2011 and have called in a pile of gobblers with it. The pic on his Facebook page of the gobbler hanging off an old barn board shed, is one I called in for my buddy this year. He locked up just strutting back and forth at about 70 yards. Andy's ceramic was the only call in my vest that got him to break strut and close half the distance.

Spitten and drummen

Slate all day everyday. Look through the history of turkey hunting and see what surface has accounted for the most birds. You want realistic and natural then look for a slate over slate or slate over a wood sound board. Now thats not to say that ceramic wont get it done because some days thats all that will work. Why not just get both. The wife is already mad so whats a little more gonna hurt.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

TauntoHawk

Slate is too finicky for my taste, I prefer ceramic.

Halloran and schaffer both make good ones but my favorite was always a houndstooth cherry ceramic.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

sbbow

I have a vector Ceramic that goes out every year. In a cedar pot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coop1082

Gonna end up with both.... :funnyturkey: thanks for all the replies!
CRUSADERS

[/img]

Bowguy

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on May 30, 2017, 08:34:31 PM
Slate all day everyday. Look through the history of turkey hunting and see what surface has accounted for the most birds. You want realistic and natural then look for a slate over slate or slate over a wood sound board. Now thats not to say that ceramic wont get it done because some days thats all that will work. Why not just get both. The wife is already mad so whats a little more gonna hurt.
Good  psychology. It works too. Let me tell ya a quick story about how they can only get so mad, this may convince you to buy 4 calls. 
I had 14 dogs at one time. Mostly beagles n tough to count but only one German shorthair. They look very dif n even this one she'd figure out.
Ok so I went n got 2 pups (shorthair) from a litter, brought em home n the kids saw them started jumping around n she was mad, real mad.
Her Irish face couldn't get redder. That's when I dropped it on her. They aren't both ours, one is Robs.
As mad as she'd been she was now less mad. So my advice if you must tell her is buy a bunch, give some away. Or just don't tell her. Bet she don't ask before she buys shoes n purses?