turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Grandson's Bird

Started by Turkeyman, May 29, 2017, 11:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeyman

I took my grandson out for the 2nd time this season last Saturday. A tom with hens has been hanging around their place the last couple weeks. Our listening spot was in a hedgerow back behind their house...we could cover the most ground from there. He gobbled at 5:15 in the woods about 300 yards away...pretty much the same spot where he killed his first bird last spring. We set up with me behind a bit...I got the bird's attention. Classic hunt....he pretty much walked down the gun barrel. Well...my grandson proceeded to miss! Luckily the Tom just started casting about rather than going airborne, second shot did it. 10" beard, 1" spurs about 18#

guesswho

Nice, congrats to you both!  I'm liking the camo too.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Greg Massey

congrats, nice bird... fine young man....

Ozarks Hillbilly

Congrats  :icon_thumright: that's the stuff memories are made of the smile on his face says it all.

Cottonmouth

Looks like he's hooked. Congratulations on a good bird. :z-guntootsmiley:

Dr Juice

hobbes

Congrats to both of you.

surehuntsalot

congrats to the young man
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Turkeyman

Quote from: guesswho on May 29, 2017, 11:19:33 AM

Regarding the camo his dad is military so the camo comes sort of naturally LOL. IMO no camo manufacturer can beat mil spec but I'd like to see mil spec quality in some of the different colors on the market.

mgm1955

chatterbox

Congrats on a fine bird!

grayfox

Congrats on a nice bird!

CDNduckslayer

Just awesome!!! Congrats to your grandson and yourself!! Good on him for sticking with it and making the second shot count!!

Chris O

Quote from: Turkey-Man on May 29, 2017, 02:03:27 PM
Quote from: guesswho on May 29, 2017, 11:19:33 AM

Regarding the camo his dad is military so the camo comes sort of naturally LOL. IMO no camo manufacturer can beat mil spec but I'd like to see mil spec quality in some of the different colors on the market.
I was wondering how many people still used the classic woodland camo. I think when the trees are all leafed out and green it is one of the better choices for camo and I have used it early season as well and don't remember any ill effects from it.Anymore I mainly use real tree or mossy oak .Inthe fall and hunting on the ground I like the old predator camo or ASAT it blends awesome in the brown fall colors. I still feel you can about use any pattern and it will work for you most of the time, movement is the biggest issue.

backforty

nothing beats hunting with family, congrats
Print by Madison, on Flickr