OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Kill Success Rates?

Started by Spurs Up, May 26, 2017, 09:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spurs Up

Just curious.  Not a contest as it likely reflects more than anything else the quality of the areas you have to hunt. But... What do you consider to be either your or a satisfactory success rate measured in terms of the average number days it takes to put your boot or hands on a gobbler during the spring. I'm talking about over the long haul, several seasons, not just some memorable lucky streak or the like. Discount any days you go and don't hear one.

Seems like the figures I've read from most states report about as many or more turkey hunters as gobblers killed each year so I'm guessing the average number of days it takes is at least several.

I'll start. I go as much as work and weather allow. I probably hear a turkey that I can hunt about one-half of those days and average taking one home every 3-4 days. Again, that's when I hear one where I'm permitted to hunt. And, that's private land. When on public land double or triple those numbers. I'd starve if I could only eat what I killed on public land.

What about you?

lunghit

I had an unbelievable (lucky) season and tagged my first bird in about 20 minutes of opening day. I went out the next day and heard lots of gobbling and came close to filling that tag. The next time out was May 9th and I filled that tag in about 3 hours. So a total of 3 hunts and about five hours in the woods resulted in two birds tagged. This was private land in NY.

Most other years I had to work harder for my birds but always manage to fill a tag. I live 250 miles away from where I can hunt so I can't be too picky and have to hunt in any weather if I want to make the best use of my hunting time. I would say an average of 3 days (1/2 hr before sunrise to noon) on the private land I hunt to fill a tag. 
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

milertyme03

I typically hear them or make them gobble every hunt. I would say 3 days average for a longbeard.  I could probably kill a Jake every hunt.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

grayfox

I hunt public land & hunted 12-15 days this season & some may have only been a few hours on a weekday morning before work. I killed one gobbler. I know I have gone at least two seasons with no kills several times but was lucky enough to get two in one season a couple times. So you can see I don't kill many birds. The best I can estimate is I average killing 1.5 birds a year & one bird about every 18 hunting trips.

Happy

Enough to keep me hopeful every time I go hunting that today could be the day and not enough to make me think I have mastered the game.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

fallhnt

Let's step it up. With decoys vs without decoys

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: fallhnt on May 26, 2017, 10:53:41 PM
Let's step it up. With decoys vs without decoys

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
:help: Ohhhh crap here we go... :popcorn:

Neill_Prater

I hunted around 21 or 22 days this Spring, and bagged 5 birds, and, I'm guessing over the years that is pretty close to average. However, I do recall one year where I hunted something like 20 days before I killed my first bird.  ;D

Gooserbat

On average 3-4 days per bird.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

aaron

My success varies greatly dependent on the timing.   I honestly can't remember the last time I didn't shoot one on the Ohio opener.  I can Scout more than most and usually have a solid plan together.....and numerous backup plans.  That being said, my success rates slowly go down the deeper into the season I go.  I kill the vast majority of my birds in the first week of season

Double B

I looked back on the calendar and I went 14 times and took 3 birds off public land.   Shoulda woulda 2 other opportunities in close that didn't work out.  Very good year, I always seam to mess up a hunt early in the season......gets me more time in the woods.   :fud:
Followed by buzzards

Ozarks Hillbilly

Quote from: Happy on May 26, 2017, 10:32:26 PM
Enough to keep me hopeful every time I go hunting that today could be the day and not enough to make me think I have mastered the game.

Happy summed it up for me.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Happy on May 26, 2017, 10:32:26 PM

agree, this year was average of 3 - 4 days...tag 3 birds this year...and saw a bunch of Jakes and hens, so the hatch is looking a lot better for 2018....

VaTuRkStOmPeR

39 days afield this spring(that includes all days, inclement weather and days where they don't gobble included).

I've seen 23 get killed and 2 misses.

My personal goal each season is to have a kill/hunt ratio that's over 40%.

Gobble!

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on May 27, 2017, 02:59:51 PM
39 days afield this spring(that includes all days, inclement weather and days where they don't gobble included).

I've seen 23 get killed and 2 misses.

My personal goal each season is to have a kill/hunt ratio that's over 40%.

Awesome, as usual from you it seems!