News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

do you want to call him or do you want to kill him

Started by hotspur, May 25, 2017, 04:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stinkpickle

Quote from: guesswho on May 25, 2017, 06:55:01 PM
I want to convince him to put his head somewhere he shouldn't by calling.  If he does, I kill him on the spot.   If he doesn't, I hunt him down and kill him for not doing it.

Pretty much this. ^^^

snapper1982

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 25, 2017, 11:17:09 PM
I hope someday some of you learn what turkey hunting is all about and stop being so hostile. Turkey hunting like most outdoor recreation, is about the experience. It's the joy of running or setting in the woods trying to out smart a gobbler. It's not about killing for numbers or beards or spurs. It about planning, how to use calls, scouting, finding birds and learning the terrain of you hunting grounds. It's the excitement of i can't wait for opening morning and learning from your mistakes, like why did i go this way in the woods or why didn't i sit at this end of the field. Turkey hunting is all about learning from all the mistakes you made and then when that big day comes and your successful in killing that big gobbler. So for me it's the experience, excitement, mistakes and finally being successful....just a old turkey hunters perspective on what turkey hunting is all about...it's not just numbers and kill's ....or fan's hanging on the wall...it's like thank God i get to hunt these great birds and see another sunrise in hearing one gobble at the crack of daylight...just words of wisdom from a old turkey hunter...

You are so narrow minded that you think the only way to beat a tukey is by calling? Maybe one day you sir will open your eyes and realize your preferred way is not the only way nor is it the only "RIGHT" way and will stop trying to impose your preference on others and let them hunt how they want. Just because I am about the kill does not mean I am not excited before season or that ai do jot scout and know the terrain. As a matter of fact I bet i scout more and know the terrain and turkey habits better than most people that prefer to call everyone up. Its easy to hear one and call to him and takes no skill other than sounding like a turkey. Takes alot more woodsmanship to learn that same bird and what he does everyday and then figure out how to kill that bird without making a single call. The easiest birds to kill are the ones that respond and come to calls. Sit down make some calls and wait for him to walk in to range. Nothing to it that requires much skill. Even a first time hunter can sit down and call birds in.

Gobble!

I want to kill them. Don't get me wrong I like to hunt them, walked out of the woods one morning last week with a smile on my face and laughing after two did a number on me, but I REALLY want to kill them.

Greg Massey

Quote from: snapper1982 on May 26, 2017, 11:23:27 AM
I hope someday some of you learn what turkey hunting is all about and stop being so hostile. Turkey hunting like most outdoor recreation, is about the experience. It's the joy of running or setting in the woods trying to out smart a gobbler. It's not about killing for numbers or beards or spurs. It about planning, how to use calls, scouting, finding birds and learning the terrain of you hunting grounds. It's the excitement of i can't wait for opening morning and learning from your mistakes, like why did i go this way in the woods or why didn't i sit at this end of the field. Turkey hunting is all about learning from all the mistakes you made and then when that big day comes and your successful in killing that big gobbler. So for me it's the experience, excitement, mistakes and finally being successful....just a old turkey hunters perspective on what turkey hunting is all about...it's not just numbers and kill's ....or fan's hanging on the wall...it's like thank God i get to hunt these great birds and see another sunrise in hearing one gobble at the crack of daylight...just words of wisdom from a old turkey hunter...

You are so narrow minded that you think the only way to beat a tukey is by calling? Maybe one day you sir will open your eyes and realize your preferred way is not the only way nor is it the only "RIGHT" way and will stop trying to impose your preference on others and let them hunt how they want. Just because I am about the kill does not mean I am not excited before season or that ai do jot scout and know the terrain. As a matter of fact I bet i scout more and know the terrain and turkey habits better than most people that prefer to call everyone up. Its easy to hear one and call to him and takes no skill other than sounding like a turkey. Takes alot more woodsmanship to learn that same bird and what he does everyday and then figure out how to kill that bird without making a single call. The easiest birds to kill are the ones that respond and come to calls. Sit down make some calls and wait for him to walk in to range. Nothing to it that requires much skill. Even a first time hunter can sit down and call birds in.
:TooFunny:   Narrow minded....form what i just read of your post WHO narrow minded....ha ha ha  Your just jealous because you don't have near as many post on this forum as i do....

milertyme03

It's all about that gobble.  I got on 3 different birds yesterday and had over several hundred gobbles to the call.  Almost connected but went empty handed.  Chased them all over.  Had more fun on that hunt than I have had on quick ones where I've killed em silent

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Rallen21

You should only hunt the exact same way I do!  That is the only way to truly enjoy it.  We all must enjoy the same things the exact same way!!  If someone taught you how to do something, then that is the only way it should be done...especially if it works.  I mean, if it works and you kill thousands of turkeys with your method, you should not try another method.  Please don't risk trying another person's tactics if your daddy didn't do it their way.  Whatever you do, just remember there is only one correct method of turkey hunting.  There is only one way to enjoy this great sport.  We cannot afford change or try new ideas!!!!

WW

After reading these comments, I will say this.... I don't care how you hunt turkeys, but if I had to pattern every turkey just to kill him when he walked by, I WOULD QUIT. To me, that's not turkey hunting at all. More of a deer hunt. It's all about the calling, fooling, reversing nature that you put on that gobbler. Now I'm not above an ambush or waiting on one that's cut my tail a few times, but if your only means of hunting turkeys is sitting and waiting on one to walk by while you make no call at all.....Is not turkey hunting in my opinion.

Tennessee Lead

I want to call him and kill him preferably Gobbling ,drumming and strutting.
I ain't interested in patterning and bushwacking. I'll save that for the whitetail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Number17

Quote from: guesswho on May 25, 2017, 06:55:01 PM
I want to convince him to put his head somewhere he shouldn't by calling.  If he does, I kill him on the spot.   If he doesn't, I hunt him down and kill him for not doing it.
Absolutely could not have put it better myself. Perfect answer.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

nosaj

There is no such thing as Catch and release in Hunting!

With that said, of all the hunting I do, Turkey Hunting is the more about the hunt than any others. 

The thrill of the gobbler answering back then getting closer and closer.  The pounding in your chest as he fires off a gobble 10 yards behind you in the brush. The adrenaline pumping through your body as you hear him spitting, drumming and dragging his wings.  Then the moment you put it all together with a well placed shot.  The only thing better for me is when my kids do it.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: nosaj on May 26, 2017, 06:27:23 PM
There is no such thing as Catch and release in Hunting!

With that said, of all the hunting I do, Turkey Hunting is the more about the hunt than any others. 

The thrill of the gobbler answering back then getting closer and closer.  The pounding in your chest as he fires off a gobble 10 yards behind you in the brush. The adrenaline pumping through your body as you hear him spitting, drumming and dragging his wings.  Then the moment you put it all together with a well placed shot.  The only thing better for me is when my kids do it.

For me...This is the perfect answer...

snapper1982

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 26, 2017, 11:43:05 AM

:TooFunny:   Narrow minded....form what i just read of your post WHO narrow minded....ha ha ha  Your just jealous because you don't have near as many post on this forum as i do....

Are you serious! You really are a piece of work huh. You absolutely are narrow minded to think the only way someone should kill a turkey is by calling. Really dont see how I am narrow minded with my open mindedness to using different tactics and NOT telling others how they should hunt and their ways are wrong if it is not the way I think it should he done. Just so you know I really aint jealous that you post so much. Heck I would too but I am to busy actually hunting, scouting and learning to jack around on here most of the time.

g8rvet

I like to eat turkey.  I do not shoot over my limit.  I do not break the law.  I do not interfere with other hunters while they are working a bird and expect the same from them. Pretty much all the rest is my business. 

I would much prefer to play the game I want to play.  Sometimes he plays the game his way. 

Do none of y'all, say about 10:30, when you have heard nothing the whole morning, sit for a little while in a place you know turkeys want to be and call?  If nothing happens, move on a ways.  Then maybe sit in another spot?  If he comes in quiet, you won't shoot him?  Do you know he did not come to your call?  Is it different if he gobbled before he came in?   

I don't care what your answers are, I just want to know what some folks consider ambushing one.  Personally I would call that slow moving and striking an interested bird.  But I think y'all should do what makes you happy (not Happy the poster, happy as in well, happy). 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Greg Massey

Quote from: snapper1982 on May 26, 2017, 07:24:28 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on May 26, 2017, 11:43:05 AM

Are you serious! You really are a piece of work huh. You absolutely are narrow minded to think the only way someone should kill a turkey is by calling. Really dont see how I am narrow minded with my open mindedness to using different tactics and NOT telling others how they should hunt and their ways are wrong if it is not the way I think it should he done. Just so you know I really aint jealous that you post so much. Heck I would too but I am to busy actually hunting, scouting and learning to jack around on here most of the time.
If your so unhappy with peoples opinions on this forum you call leave anytime...and i don't think anyone on this post would think i was saying hunt my way...Sorry your so into yourself... i enjoy my friends on this forum...Your just a SAD person...   I have NOT told anyone in my post how to hunt....

guesswho

Quote from: g8rvet on May 26, 2017, 07:40:05 PM
Do none of y'all, say about 10:30, when you have heard nothing the whole morning, sit for a little while in a place you know turkeys want to be and call?  If nothing happens, move on a ways.  Then maybe sit in another spot?  If he comes in quiet, you won't shoot him?  Do you know he did not come to your call?  Is it different if he gobbled before he came in?

That's pretty much my MO.   I just call it Bobcat'n or slipass'n.   And don't think for a second I won't shoot him if he comes slipping in.   But if I just accidentally walked up on one I'll give him a pass.  Be about like doing a drive by to me.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff