turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

do you want to call him or do you want to kill him

Started by hotspur, May 25, 2017, 04:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snapper1982

I do not pay for a license, tags, shells, camo, calls, decoys and every other thing to turkey hunt just to watch them. I am out there to kill them. If I just wanted to "hear gobbles" or "watch" them no way in heck would I spend so much money to do something that does not require very much.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Calling for me after 40 years of turkey hunting I am past the have to kill stage. I never have been a crawler wasn't how I was tought to hunt. Younger years I have done rounders to get in front of them knowing where they were going. Never seemed as rewarding to me. Now day's I don't count success only in the trigger pull. I always have a little remorse after I squeeze the trigger the fun is over then. I think I would enjoy just counting coup. But they sure taste good with a few morrel's and fried taters.

JMalin

Put me in the kill camp.  Only caveat is that I want him in ethical shotgun range.  Of course I want him strutting, gobbling, and coming to the call, and if I could hunt everyday of spring turkey season, I'd only kill them in that manner, but I'm all about adding to my collection of beards and spurs at this stage of my turkey hunting career.

Gooserbat

Personally I want to blow him over.  Preferred method is calling but short of out the truck window I'm cool with playing the game he wants.  If I connect I know I beat him at his game.  If I call him to the gun I just convinced him to play mine instead of his.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Greg Massey

I hope someday some of you learn what turkey hunting is all about and stop being so hostile. Turkey hunting like most outdoor recreation, is about the experience. It's the joy of running or setting in the woods trying to out smart a gobbler. It's not about killing for numbers or beards or spurs. It about planning, how to use calls, scouting, finding birds and learning the terrain of you hunting grounds. It's the excitement of i can't wait for opening morning and learning from your mistakes, like why did i go this way in the woods or why didn't i sit at this end of the field. Turkey hunting is all about learning from all the mistakes you made and then when that big day comes and your successful in killing that big gobbler. So for me it's the experience, excitement, mistakes and finally being successful....just a old turkey hunters perspective on what turkey hunting is all about...it's not just numbers and kill's ....or fan's hanging on the wall...it's like thank God i get to hunt these great birds and see another sunrise in hearing one gobble at the crack of daylight...just words of wisdom from a old turkey hunter...

Vabirddog

I must be in the call em camp because I take just as much or more pleasure in another pulling the trigger as myself. I do it most and like it best with no decoy or blind even with youths and newbys. Nothing compares to a thunderous gobble in response to a call. (like a lions roar!) Or when you know by sound and action that you are dealing with a monarch on his turf.

SteelerFan

Quote from: snapper1982 on May 25, 2017, 09:26:11 PM
I do not pay for a license, tags, shells, camo, calls, decoys and every other thing to turkey hunt just to watch them. I am out there to kill them. If I just wanted to "hear gobbles" or "watch" them no way in heck would I spend so much money to do something that does not require very much.

A butterball in aisle 12 is cheaper...  ;D

Greg Massey

Quote from: SteelerFan on May 26, 2017, 12:08:23 AM
Quote from: snapper1982 on May 25, 2017, 09:26:11 PM

A butterball in aisle 12 is cheaper...  ;D
:TooFunny:

otinhunter

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 25, 2017, 11:17:09 PM
I hope someday some of you learn what turkey hunting is all about and stop being so hostile. Turkey hunting like most outdoor recreation, is about the experience. It's the joy of running or setting in the woods trying to out smart a gobbler. It's not about killing for numbers or beards or spurs. It about planning, how to use calls, scouting, finding birds and learning the terrain of you hunting grounds. It's the excitement of i can't wait for opening morning and learning from your mistakes, like why did i go this way in the woods or why didn't i sit at this end of the field. Turkey hunting is all about learning from all the mistakes you made and then when that big day comes and your successful in killing that big gobbler. So for me it's the experience, excitement, mistakes and finally being successful....just a old turkey hunters perspective on what turkey hunting is all about...it's not just numbers and kill's ....or fan's hanging on the wall...it's like thank God i get to hunt these great birds and see another sunrise in hearing one gobble at the crack of daylight...just words of wisdom from a old turkey hunter...
:you_rock: :you_rock: EXACTLY

1iagobblergetter

I enjoy calling them in for myself or others ,hearing them Gobble,and watching the responses from them then dropping the hammer.For myself I like killing turkeys,but don't have to in order to feel successful. I wouldn't get much satisfaction shooting one unless I knew it was coming into my setup due to my calling. I don't turn my nose up at other legal methods used by others though this is just my way I like hunting them.

fallhnt

Kill em

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

J.D. Shellnut

Quote from: Gooserbat on May 25, 2017, 10:59:03 PM
Personally I want to blow him over.  Preferred method is calling but short of out the truck window I'm cool with playing the game he wants.  If I connect I know I beat him at his game.  If I call him to the gun I just convinced him to play mine instead of his.
This!!!! I don't take a loaded shotgun with me when I roost one because I'm "listening" to him. But when I leave in the mornings with a loaded gun in my hand I aim to kill him. I've let a few walk not many but some. And there's been some I didn't get as much out of killing as I did others. But like ole TG Shepherd says I loved them everyone!!!
60% of the time it works every time!

TauntoHawk

Quote from: guesswho on May 25, 2017, 06:55:01 PM
I want to convince him to put his head somewhere he shouldn't by calling.  If he does, I kill him on the spot.   If he doesn't, I hunt him down and kill him for not doing it.

In John Madden Voice, "Now here's a turkey hunter who hunts turkeys!"
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

tha bugman

It's the whole experience for me.  The ultimate goal obviously is to make him flop, otherwise I wouldn't load my gun, but that being said IMO it has to be more than that. If all I wanted to do was to hear him gobble, I would buy a couple of yard birds and strut with them.    If all it is ever based on is the kill then we miss so much more of what is going on.  All those sunrises, all the little things that make up each season like just being in the woods with creation.  Yes, even the heartache of missed opportunities and the coulda shoulda woulda's.  So to me its a collective and a good dose of all things is what makes a season to me.     

LaLongbeard

Public land birds rarely gobble a lot and when you find one that does he attracts a lot of people . There have been times were I had one to myself and he gobbled all the way to the gun like those DVD turkeys doesn't happen often but it makes up for all the silent gobblers or the ones that never come in.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?