OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

do you want to call him or do you want to kill him

Started by hotspur, May 25, 2017, 04:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

Both. And both can be done.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

longbeard11

davisd9

I want to worry about me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Greg Massey

I want to hear him first , then call him and kill him at 20 yards....

Strutr

guesswho

I want to convince him to put his head somewhere he shouldn't by calling.  If he does, I kill him on the spot.   If he doesn't, I hunt him down and kill him for not doing it.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Ihuntoldschool

Both. Call him in and kill him.  I don't believe in any of that nonsense about gobblers that cannot be called in or having to be "patterned" or ambushed or any of that crap that gets sold on here or any other place.  I don't believe in call shy; thats a myth.  They get shy of hunters (some hunters anyway) doing the same stupid stuff (googans) day after day after day.   They may shy away from bad calling ( I hear a lot of it every season) so just imagine how much and how far away the gobblers can hear it.  I heard the worst crow and the absolute worst rendition of gobbling on a box call I have ever heard in my life this season.  They do not get shy of the sound of a wild turkey hen.

SteelerFan

Quote from: guesswho on May 25, 2017, 06:55:01 PM
I want to convince him to put his head somewhere he shouldn't by calling.  If he does, I kill him on the spot.   If he doesn't, I hunt him down and kill him for not doing it.
:TooFunny: :TooFunny:

aaron

I much prefer to call them in.  But this old boy ain't above crawling, sneaking, etc if the calling Ain't working.  I like my turkeys dead.  At whatever cost.  I feel like that was an AA confession

Farmboy27

I want to enjoy every opportunity I get to hunt.  I hope everyone has the same want. Whether you want too call or kill, as long as it's legal, safe, and you are enjoying your self, then be happy.  If you're anything like me, time in the woods is far to valuable to worry about others opinions.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I want to call him up or call his girlfriends up.  But you aren't always going to be able to do that.

If I have determined I can't call him I'm perfectly content to use topography and habitat to crawl, bushwack or ambush him.

That being said, I refuse to reap or use a fan.  I think they're despicable ways to kill a bird that deserves to be harvested in a more skillful manner than either of those 2 tactics requires. 

Tail Feathers

Quote from: guesswho on May 25, 2017, 06:55:01 PM
This.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Happy

Here I thought we were discussing calling hard to make him gobble or calling to kill him. That being said I love the gobble. I often call them pretty hard if I can get away with it. I love when they are running in darn near choking on their gobbles. Stopping to strut for a second before running again. I ain't scared to call but I ain't scared to back it down if needed. If you sound realistic I believe you can call a good bit with more birds than you think. I have stalked a few and killed them back in my younger days  but in all honesty it didn't thrill me like calling them in. No doubt it takes some serious skill and in my case some serious luck to sneak into shotgun range of a turkey in most instances. Can't say I have ever waited and ambushed one though and can't say I will. I sat under a troublesome birds roost tree one morning and when daylight came he pitched right out in front of me. I snipped off the safety and yelped softly. If he would have even gone into a semi strut I would have killed him on the spot. He didn't though. He went into alert posture and walked away without a sound and I let him go. For me personally it just didn't feel right. Kinda like someone bashing me with a frying pan as soon as I got out of bed. Not saying it's wrong or right to kill one that way but it wasn't right for me.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

SteelerFan

For me, it's more about the conversation. Now, I'll shoot a bird that comes in silent looking for the hen - but I love to hear the woods rattle. That's what gets me up at 0-dark:30.

Kinda like hunting rabbits with a beagle... dog barks, game on! No bark? No shoot...