turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Heading to Nebraska

Started by JMalin, May 19, 2017, 10:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMalin

I head out for Nebraska tomorrow evening.  It's going to be a 12 hour drive and I'm not sure I'll make it all the way there without having to pull over to sleep somewhere.  I plan on hunting some less talked about public ground in the NW part of the state.  Will hunt private as well if I'm able to meet any receptive landowners in the area.  I'm excited.  This is the last turkey hunt of the season.  Two tags in hand and will buy a third if I'm able to fill the first two.  I head back to Texas on Thursday after a short morning hunt (if necessary).

wdog

Good luck man keep us updated

Remturkey

Good luck and have a safe trip. Hope it's filled with lots of gobbles and a couple bangs

The Woodsman

Yeah, good luck and may you have working gobblers.....

Denny

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Crobinson

Was there 2 weeks ago myself, hunting was tuff but I'm did fill my tag on public ground.

You never know what you'll find in those hills.

Good luck

HookedonHooks

Leaving Nebraska now, was fortunate enough to put two on the ground, and left the trip two days early completely satisfied without even considering a third tag. Birds are fired up and breaking up real good just within the last couple days is what I was informed of by the landowner. It's super soggy so hope you packed plenty of socks and good pair of boots or two while the other pair dries.

longbeard11

I am hoping to plan a trip to Nebraska for next spring, very excited to get out there and get after some merriams! Will be a dream hunt for me

mossyoakpro

Quote from: longbeard11 on May 21, 2017, 10:14:42 AM
I am hoping to plan a trip to Nebraska for next spring, very excited to get out there and get after some merriams! Will be a dream hunt for me

It is quite a place to hunt!  Next year should be crazy since we saw tons of Jakes when we were there last week.

Best of luck!
Phillippians 4:13

JMalin

Nothing this morning/early afternoon and then it started to rain.  Seems to have cleared up now.  Not really liking the areas I chose to hunt and may switch it up tomorrow to an entirely new location depending on whether or not I can get a bird to fire off from the limb this evening.  I'm having to hike in nearly two miles before I can even get to the habitat the birds should be living in, except for one spot that I'm trying this evening.

POk3s

Gave you a pep talk over on the Nebraska forum lol.

Good luck! Rootin for you!

TRG3

In my experience, a two-mile hike eliminates most of the competition and the birds should not have had much hunting pressure. Then again, if there's not much sign that there are any turkeys there a two-mile hike becomes just an exercise event. Best of luck in your late season effort and keep us posted on your success or lack thereof.

tha bugman

JMalin

Well, I changed things up today.  I actually slept in.  I drove all through the night Saturday/Sunday AM to get to Scottsbluff.  Hunted/scouted hard, but no dice down there.  Didn't even make it out of bed this morning until well after sunrise, ate my complimentary breakfast, and headed north to Harrison.  Got up to the WMA, but as soon as a crested the highest ridge (which looked like a very promising place to roost a bird), the rain started and forced me back down the mountain.  I ate lunch in town, called a Nebraska biologist that recommended staying another day where I'm at.  So that's the plan.  Raining right now currently.  If the weather breaks, I'll climb the mountain again before dark and listen.  If not, it's going to be a super early morning as it will take me 45 mins just to get back up there.  I want to be up there before the first gobble, so I have time to setup if the bird/birds are a long ways off.  Certainly won't be fun in the dark, but I'm committed to getting at least one.  If tomorrow morning is a bust, I will do some scouting to the south along the Niobrara River and talk to some landowners.  The woman running to hotel stated that a hunter talked to a rancher a couple of weeks ago down on the river south of town that allowed access to his land. 

HookedonHooks

Was just up that way and there were birds covered everywhere, WMAs included. So even if luck isn't on your side for finding a ranch owner, you're sure to find a birds on public land. PM me if interested in some more details.