OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The older I get.....

Started by chow hound, May 19, 2017, 09:14:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chow hound

The older I get, the more patient I become and the more turkeys I kill!  I am amazed at how many turkeys I gave up on in my youth that I now know were probably coming into me slowly and silently.  Or the turkeys that shut up at 8:00 and I was sure were gone, that I now know probably never moved and would come running in at 11:00 when the hen leaves them.

To the young guys out there, my best piece of advice to you is to repeat over and over in your head that patience is always the best course of action!

wisconsinteacher

I agree 100%.  I shot a nice bird last night by just sitting tight and being quiet.  Just because they are not gobbling like crazy, doesn't mean they are not there.  Sit tight!!!!

tha bugman

Amen!  Ben Lee said he chased turkeys when he first started out and then he learned to hunt them.

Forked lighting

Just because aturkey dont gobble doesnt mean you cant kill him just not as much fun but here lately they just dont seem to gobble as much have a bunch guys I know that are back at the house hour after daylight if they dont hear a turkey gobble I sure am glad leaves  me no competition

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: wisconsinteacher on May 19, 2017, 09:19:49 AM
I agree 100%.  I shot a nice bird last night by just sitting tight and being quiet.  Just because they are not gobbling like crazy, doesn't mean they are not there.  Sit tight!!!!

You know its illegal to hunt turkeys at night. Lol , just had to mess with you.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Forked lighting

Called in three long beards this year didnt gobble a time all came in silent you would have swore there were no turkeys there 2 of them got a ride in my pick up shooter error on one

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

2eagles

Did you know.......?
The same patience thing is true with deer, ducks, geese and even fish. As a younger man, I foolishly went home too early and missed out on a lot of fun.

guesswho

I'm probably one of the few that think patience is over utilized.  It's not over rated by any means, but I know and see a lot of people over use it and patience themselves right out of a kill.  Once you learn patience then you need to learn passive aggressiveness, aka slow and steady and learn to use them together. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

birddogdoc

That is great advice that I will heed in the future.  This season we set up on birds that didn't come in and then would move in an hour to another spot...found gobbler tracts in the snow later that day right were we first set up...lesson learned! 

Greg Massey

I've been preaching patience's for years. You don't have to run all the time. That's why i've said listen and learn what turkeys are tell you ...NO your not going to kill everyone you hear, but you will kill a bunch from patience's and listening and learning what that turkey want's in your calling, it's spending time in the woods with birds.  PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE AND LISTENING................

stinkpickle

My laziness is finally paying off.

High plains drifter

I've found that the first response you get to a call, usually means they are coming. It may take two hours, but keep calling, and usually they show up.So, good post, it's important to wait it out, and hide real well.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

There is a time for patience and a time for aggressiveness.

It's the spent in the turkey woods and critically assessing hunts from the past that'll teach you to become more aware of when to be one of the two.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Quote from: guesswho on May 19, 2017, 09:51:16 AM
I'm probably one of the few that think patience is over utilized.  It's not over rated by any means, but I know and see a lot of people over use it and patience themselves right out of a kill.  Once you learn patience then you need to learn passive aggressiveness, aka slow and steady and learn to use them together.
This.

Preach it.