turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Weather and Turkeys

Started by GOOSESLAYER, May 19, 2017, 08:42:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOOSESLAYER

Whats your preferred weather to chase turks.

I hunt mostly fields and it seems like 60 plus degree weather with rain and light winds is the ticket for some good action

only reason I ask is because i know quite a few guys that wont even bother going out if its raining

I don't care what the weather is, if im able to get out im getting out 

Blong

My preferred is mid 50's, calm, high pressure bluebird days. I know they might gobble in any conditions but thirst have been most productive for me. I care nothing about shooting a no gobbling turkey in the rain. I'm sure some are gonna bring up the thunderstorm gobbling but I have found it to be shock gobbling mostly and they won't work a call.

tha bugman

I agree with Blong, but I want my temp just a bit higher, but I don't set the thermostat.

Spitten and drummen

Crisp cool 45 degree still clear morning with a calm clear high of 70 degrees. Text book morning for really good gobbling down here in the south.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

stinkpickle

Clear and cold (just above freezing) with little breeze at sunrise, and then a little cloudier later on to keep the temps from soarin' too quickly.

appalachianstruttstopper

I prefer overcast days when it's warm. Takes the sun factor out of the equation. A crisp clear morning can really boost the gobbling after a few warm muggy mornings though. Guess I like them all lol

High plains drifter

No wind, clear, and calm. Temp in the day, in the 60's. Bluebird days are the best.

mspaci

Doesn't matter, unless its a down pour or 50 mph winds, I`m hunting. Mike

mikejd

Quote from: High plains drifter on May 19, 2017, 11:14:27 AM
No wind, clear, and calm. Temp in the day, in the 60's. Bluebird days are the best.

Sounds just about perfect. I can kill them in the rain but they rarely gobble.

fallhnt

I'll hunt them anytime I can. Below zero is the worst though. They don't move much.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Happy

Daybreak upper 30's low 40's. Overcast, no or slight wind with a high of about 65.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

g8rvet

Not being a smart alec, but for me, any day I can get away from work and hunt is my favorite, and then I adapt my tactics to the weather as best I can.  Rainy days are quite effective, but boring.  Only lightning keeps me at the house. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Greg Massey

Quote from: High plains drifter on May 19, 2017, 11:14:27 AM
this i agree....

Gooserbat

No wind
No fog, mist, rain snow, sleet, hail...
High barmetric pressure
Temp between 40-70
Sunshine optional
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

county hunter

Me, I like cool temps, Do not mind rain.