OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Lone old gobbler

Started by High plains drifter, May 18, 2017, 01:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High plains drifter

If an old gobbler is off by himself, a half mile from other birds, is he a herd bull, or is he by himself because he's wanting to get away from the other birds?

Skbrown

Sounds more like a young bird ran off by the boss. Either that or he is old and wore down and another bird took his spot as the boss

CMBOSTC

There's a good possibility that he is an old bird, the last survivor of an old bachelor group. Could be a really good bird, I would bet that he will be hard to kill.

CMBOSTC

It's really hard to tell in the spring though... just based on a bird being by himself. The fall would be a better time to make that assumption.

GobbleNut

Without being able to judge his age,...which would require getting a close evaluation of his spurs,...it is hard to tell what kind of bird you are dealing with there.  If he is indeed an old gobbler, then he is likely, as C.Brumfiel states, an old hermit gobbler that is the last of his lot,...and would be very difficult to kill using "standard" tactics.  From what I have seen over the years, those hermit birds are just living out the last years of their lives trying to survive, and with little interest in interacting with other turkeys. 

...Then, on the other hand, he may just be a younger gobbler that, for whatever reason, is just off by himself....

CMBOSTC

Quote from: GobbleNut on May 18, 2017, 09:01:05 AM
Without being able to judge his age,...which would require getting a close evaluation of his spurs,...it is hard to tell what kind of bird you are dealing with there.  If he is indeed an old gobbler, then he is likely, as C.Brumfiel states, an old hermit gobbler that is the last of his lot,...and would be very difficult to kill using "standard" tactics.  From what I have seen over the years, those hermit birds are just living out the last years of their lives trying to survive, and with little interest in interacting with other turkeys. 

...Then, on the other hand, he may just be a younger gobbler that, for whatever reason, is just off by himself....

Yep, what he said!

TauntoHawk

I've seen both inferior subordinate bird not allowed around the rest and the ol grouchy bird that tends to just walk away and do his own thing often past his prime fighting years and maybe lighter in weight.

Only way to do things right is tip them all over cut em open and count the rings  :z-guntootsmiley:
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

appalachianstruttstopper

Hunt him. If you kill him he'll be old as he's gonna get. Lone bird is the ones I hunt in late season

gatrapper

The old bird that my wife shot this year was always by himself and I would say it was by choice so he wouldn't get whooped. He weighed the same as a Jake I shot.
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

tha bugman

Hard to tell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fallhnt

Better put him on your "hit list".

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

guesswho

He probably just spent 3 months with a bunch of yapping women and just needs a break.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

albrubacker

Quote from: guesswho on May 18, 2017, 01:49:19 PM
He probably just spent 3 months with a bunch of yapping women and just needs a break.
:TooFunny:
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Gooserbat

Either old and grumpy or a total wimp.  Either one needs shot.

I do like Guesswho's theory.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

High plains drifter

Quote from: C. Brumfiel on May 18, 2017, 08:30:06 AM
There's a good possibility that he is an old bird, the last survivor of an old bachelor group. Could be a really good bird, I would bet that he will be hard to kill.
I did get him, but I felt bad about it.i guess that's hunting. I could have let him go.