OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Jewelry 2017

Started by GSLAM95, May 17, 2017, 07:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSLAM95

I know its a strange or perhaps a different title but stick with me here.  A lot of my turkey hunting buddies know that when we hear of someone talking about a big bird they are many times referring to the weight or beard length.
Although, for most of us the true tell tell sign of a monarch bird is the length of the spur.

So whenever we hear of that 11" beard or that 25lb bird we say, "Yah but what kind of jewelry was he wearing?".  I bring this up because my girlfriend, who has killed 3 nice gobblers in the last 3 years, knows what our turkey hunting brethren is referring to when we talk jewelry.

Well this year I had a very limited amount of time to hunt until late in the season due to work schedule.  I filled my 2nd season tag and then Jena was up to bat 3rd season just like usual.  This year I had plans to throw her a curve ball though as I wanted to propose to her in a unique way when she killed her bird.

It started months in advance talking and texting with my good friend Steve Lumma, asking him if he would build a custom engagement ring.  Most everyone here knows of the talent Steve has been gifted with being a craftsman in the field of Jewelry design and call making as well.

It seemed like a lot of pressure was on me for this to all work out the way I planned but it did.  Steve delivered the ring to me the week before the hunt.
I captured the two big Toms that I called in for Jena on video through the iPhone and although jerky it was still cool.

Moving along when Jena shot her bird I told her to stay put and I would retrieve it.  Once I got to her bird and rolled him over I couldn't believe my eyes as I had already seen the double beard as she was getting ready to pull the trigger but the JEWELRY/Spurs on this bird were awesome!  1-1/2" & 1-9/16" daggers for spurs!

I hurried up and slipped the ring out of my pocket and tied it over the spur with a rubber coated tie.  I said "Hey Jena you have to come out here and look at the jewelry on this sucker!"

The bird sported a 11" &  8-3/4" beards
25lbs 8ozs
1-1/2" & 1-9/16" Dagger Spurs

The season could have ended with this hunt and I would have still been the happiest hunter out there as I have a lot of things to get done around the house before we move forward.  With this being said my future wife still encouraged me to go ahead and take the last week of season for TN and go. 

Things like this is the reason I asked this gal to Marry me :-)

Sorry if I bored anyone with details but it's definitely a season I will never forget.
Here are some pictures from the season, no specific order but birds I killed or called in for friends as well along with a few random shots of nature also.

I really like running different calls throughout my hunts and this year the nod went to the following call makers.

Trumpets - Herb Hornstra, Frank Cox, Matt McClain
Box - Richard Hudson, Frank Kruer III
Pot calls - Paul Platz Glass & Aluminum
Strikers - Paul Platz, Neal Herman
Mouth Calls - Randy Panek - Strike Zone & Steve Kinder

What is it?

Never even seen this birds beard as he was working over the rise towards me.  I seen the full fan and that is all I needed to tell me to pull the trigger when his head popped up.  Looks like beard rot to me but the spurs (jewelry) lets him easily hang on a limb.

Apologizing:  does not always mean you are wrong and the other person is right. 
It just means that you value your relationship more than your ego.

eorlando

What an awesome write up!!!! Congrats on a hell of a season!!! Congrats on the engagement as well!!! The two of you look super happy together.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

tha bugman

Looks like you got yourself a keeper!  Congrats on a great season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

longbeards

Assume Birds! Assume Pics! has got to be Iowa!! Well done!

mtns2hunt

Fantastic adventure and really enjoyed the story. Glad your plans worked out for the best. Looking forward to reading about more of your adventures. :camohat:
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

SinGin

I was wondering if you had some birds down this year. Congrats to you.

nitro

Congrats on all counts. You have good taste in calls, jewelry and your lady.  I wish you both a lifetime of happiness together!!
Royal Slam 2008

Roost 1

Congrats to both of you....

Pettit877

Congrats on the great woman the great birds and the great spring, one to remember for sure

Eric

spaightlabs

A day of trophies for both of you.

Heartfelt congrats and best wishes for a long and happy life together.  May your struggles be few, your joy plentiful and your love obvious to all.

Happy

Congrats, hope you have a long and happy marriage.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Greg Massey

nice birds, congrats ...yes some area's of the country have better spurs than other places....

kyturkeyhunter4

Congrats! To the both of you  :icon_thumright:

Tail Feathers

Congratulations on the engagement and a successful spring. :icon_thumright:
And that was one great tom she killed!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Gold Spur

Congrats to the both of you. Hope you have many hunts together in the future.
Woo Pig Sooie!!!